N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Trouble selecting reverse gear

General chat related to anything N12.
Reswob

Trouble selecting reverse gear

Post by Reswob »

Hello all,

This issue has kind of always been there since I got the car.

Sometimes when I'm trying to reverse park (it seems to be more favourable rather than reversing into traffic with a sticky reverse gear), sometimes it just won't get into reverse gear unless I pump the clutch a few times.

I've been told that the thrust bearing has come loose in the gearbox but I have noticed that it has been squealing less these days. Also, last time I got it serviced the dudes replaced the gearbox oil. This has generally made gear selection easier but reverse can be stubborn on occasion. Actually, there was one occasion where I was trying to parallel park up a hill and I just could not get it to co-operate! That was before I discovered the clutch pumping trick.

I'd like to know what's going on with it, please enlighten me! :)

Thanks,

Reswob
The legends we write help us grasp the truth.
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

There is a few reasons. one is the one i know too many times. the bar that stabilizes the gear leaver, if its bent it will cause the gears to be out and cause more dramas then you can imagine. i know i lost 2nd, 4th and reverse with issues with the bar.

It could be the rear engine mount too i know ive been there too.

maybe someone could tell you if its the sincro gears or sumfin.

hope you find the cause.

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Well, you can also put in 1st gear and drive the car a couple of centimeters forward, then try reverse again. That usually helps, but doesn't solve the problem of course.

This method relies on the fact that the reverse gear isn't synchronized. Well, 1st gear isn't either, but that's beside the point. If the gears don't mesh up when you select reverse, driving the car forward a tiny bit in 1st gear usually gets the gears in a better position to mesh up properly when you select reverse again.
dexi_styles wrote:maybe someone could tell you if its the sincro gears or sumfin.
This would be incorrect advice, since the reverse gear isn't synchronized.

To answer your question, Reswob; my biggest issues with getting in the reverse gear (and other gears as well) were solved by adjusting the gear lever's position relative to the engine in a way that the engine isn't pulling the lever or the lever bracket. The position of the stick can be adjusted ~1½-2 cm in total, and it does definitely make a difference how you adjust it. You need to get under the car to make the adjustments, preferably put the car on a hoist.

I don't think it's possible to eliminate the problem of getting in reverse completely, since reverse isn't synchronized... but there shouldn't be any big effort getting the reverse gear in.
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
sgs

Post by sgs »

Could it be a selector fork issue?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Trouble selecting reverse gear

Post by tassuperkart »

Reswob wrote:
Sometimes when I'm trying to reverse park (it seems to be more favourable rather than reversing into traffic with a sticky reverse gear), sometimes it just won't get into reverse gear unless I pump the clutch a few times.

Reswob
Normal. Accept it.
Common to almost all manuals.
l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

I've got no way to get underneath the car here. I don't have my own garage. I'll figure out exactly what's happening somehow.

I know reverse gear can be a little funny Tassuperkart but is it normal that I have to yank the gearstick HARD a dozen times before it gets into reverse? I mean, I've had to be really savage with the gearstick on some occasions. Do I really have to be a weightlifter to get a manual car into reverse?

I'll definitely try the forwards a few inches then reverse in the future. Thanks for the tip Turbo Z. Dude. I want to preserve the gearbox.
baz

Post by baz »

My exa would never go into reverse until I went into say 4th gear then wacked it straight into reverse..So try putting the clutch in, put it in 4th whilst your obviously not moving, then try going into reverse, If it's something similar to what i had then it should just slip in...Throws a sausage up a hall way
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Throws a sausage up a hallway?? Do I even want to know what that means? :?

Thanks for the tip Baz, I'll give it a shot the next time it's being naughty.
flimmer

Post by flimmer »

It's easy to repair, just replace all bushings and pin in support and control rod.
And the problem is solved.
Had the same problem and got it resolved
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Cool. How much would it cost for me to get that repaired though?
flimmer

Post by flimmer »

Do not know, in Greenland, I gave 200 USD for parts and assembly