N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Tassuperkarts Tragedies

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

LMAO!!!
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

THE UTE OF DEATH! the death of E? you stupid old fart, your gonna kill yourself. you know this.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yes Ash, you are most probably correct.

AND, I shall go out the same way I came into the world
.SCREAMING!!!!!!
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

tassuperkart wrote:Yes Ash, you are most probably correct.

AND, I shall go out the same way I came into the world
.SCREAMING!!!!!!
Yeah it better be on boost too!!!!!!!!!!

nice!

dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well, Ive been driving the ute around now pretty much as a daily for a couple of weeks now.
I finally got around to re-routing the water lines for the water to air intercooler sos the water pump would prime correctly. Up to this point, i had been running with no water in the cooler setup.
Id only been putting this job off as its a barstardfaced job to get to the lower cooler radiator mounts. Requires most of the frontend off the car. Anyway, done.
Another issue that has reared its very ugly head is a mongrel rear main seal leak....arrrgh! I had the opportunity to change it when I first got the motor but after time i just completely forgot about it and all of a sudden the engine was finally installed and running......... my bad.
Ill pay the price now as the leak is quite substantial and leaves a 2" diameter puddle of oil under the car every time its stopped for any time................................................ Out comes the gearbox and flywheel and clutch soon enough!

The original fuel and ignition tune I ended up running, which was from an SR20det, on was just too conservative and the engine, altho feeling quite willing, felt a lot flatter that i reckon it should. Seemed to be dragging a tree.

I sat down and "wrote" an entirely new ignition map with a lot more part power ignition and this suited the engine much better. I based this setup on what I had arrived at with both the FJ20et and the E15et's I have been playing with for many years.
The fuelling was excessively rich up above part power so i downloaded a couple of different ecu maps and compared the fuelling tables.

Unfortunately, none of the files included any info on what size injectors, fuel pressures and so-on were used in that tune so i had to make some educated guesses as far as fueling was but comparing different maps gave me a good idea of what other guys were doing at different boost and rev points.

So, bearing all that in mind, i wrote up a new fuel map and set about getting it running happily down low.
It has taken me a bit of time to get my head around the tuning interface of the Adaptronic ECU, being used to Microtech and EMS stuff mostly. This made it a little slow at first but instruction manuals are a wonderful thing and I learnt how to make changes easily and quickly.

Once the slow run and light load setting were good enough, i took it out on the road. Just a few dead spots here and there to iron out but in the end, it drove smoothly and strongly.
I still was doing it the old fashioned way with no AFR meter, just "seat of the pants" by ear stuff only reaching moderate boost pressures which has served me well for many years but the time has come to fit up the TechEdge WBo2 sensor and controller and get an accurate picture of what was going on.
Believe it or not, I had light throttle and light accelleration at around 13.5 to 14:1, part power sitting nicely at 13 to 13.5 and high power settings around 12.5: 1!!!!! I think just luck but nonetheless, my old fashioned tuning skills had not completely left me over the years!!
Some slight variations as the revs rise and fall but the Adaptive closed loop tuning can take care of that!

I have now enabled full time adaptive fuelling in the tuning software and the engine pulls cleaner and cleaner as time goes by.
I still have a slight stumbling from off idle to part power (transient throttle) which I have not quite been able to get rid of just yet but overall the thing pulls cleanly and deathly smooth.
It pulls so smoothly its a bit of a worry really and I find that just leaning on the throttle out of the local speed zones ends up at around 135kph, still in 3rd..........
Its very very deceptive and I find its so easy to be well over the local speed limits without realising it just running it up thru the gears. Something to get used to.

Im still not overly happy with the operation of the idle stepper motor tho. Its as if its working to it limit but the setting would point to it only running around 50% so thats something I need to get on top of as well.
I can live with how its working for now.

Im not really comfortable with the amount of noise from the exhaust tho. Its not "in your face" loud outside the car, it actually makes a very cool and menacing sound but it makes a really annoying drone in the cab at certain revs that really shits you off after a while.
Im going to shorten and mebbe re-angle the droop tip at the back. It drops fairly low and at quite a sharp down angle. Perhaps the droning is coming back in off the road....dunno, just speculating.

Here:

If shortening and re-angling has no effect then ill go and see the zorst place and see what they can reccommend as far as a further muffler in there.

Once my fuelling is tuned finely, Ill fit up the road speed and tailshaft speed sensors and get the traction control working correctly.
L8tr
E
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

tassuperkart wrote:Well, Ive been driving the ute around now pretty much as a daily for a couple of weeks now.

It pulls so smoothly its a bit of a worry really and I find that just leaning on the throttle out of the local speed zones ends up at around 135kph, still in 3rd..........
Its very very deceptive and I find its so easy to be well over the local speed limits without realising it just running it up thru the gears. Something to get used to.

Once my fuelling is tuned finely, Ill fit up the road speed and tailshaft speed sensors and get the traction control working correctly.
L8tr
E
Mwahaha! Wonder what it'd do when floored! :D

Great to hear you got it on the road. :)

What do you need traction control for? Mwahahahahahaha! :twisted: (just kidding)
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Heheheheh funny you mention that.
I left the work yard the other day and i gave it some berries in 1st, oh well forget that gear, so, without slamming it or fanning the clutch or any other shit, I just gave it plenty, the turbo spooled up, hit like a hammer and the thing left this big long black line and a trail of smoke all by itself.

I wonder how that happened. Fark it was funny!

At least i know my rev limiter works @ 6500rpm!!!

Traction control will be fairly useful on this thing, especially in the wet. It has this habit of spinning the wheels when you are not exactly expecting it!!!!!

L8tr
E
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Yeeeha! It's alive and well then! :D:D

Yeah that's true, it's a bit hard to tow anything with spinning wheels. :lol:

What exactly does "full time adaptive fuelling" mean in practice? I'm not familiar with aftermarket ECU:s; is that adaptive fuelling restricted/guided in some way by your base fuel map or something?
My N12:
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Full time adaptive tuning is a closed loop self learning mode.

1st stage is Rapid Learning mode which is not very accurate but pretty fast and this does quite a good job of doing the rough driving setup

I only have to manually get the mixtures close enough so the engine runs and adaptive mode simply takes over and tunes in the fuel load points.

There is a table where you specify what AFR's you want and the ECU just tunes to those load points and gives you the AFR's at what load points you specify.

Once the entire map is roughly tuned with Rapid learning I then select Slow Converge.
This mode has far tighter constraints such as far narrower load point tolerances and narow rpm tolerance.
The engine needs to be held at each load point longer and more carefully than rapid learn for a very accurate tune.

Once all the load points have been visited and re-written, the wide band EGO and controller comes out and a narrow band EGO sensor goes in and Closed Loop mode is enabled.

The ECU then tunes around this narrow band EGO and maintains the AFR's I have specified in the AFRT lookup table.
Closed loop tuning is adaptive and at any time I want to change AFR's I just specify it and away it goes.

Its all pretty fandangled bit of kit!

The ECU also will run adaptive ignition tuning as well and it will tune around the Ignition tables based on the torque the engine produces.
Closed loop ignition also invokes the d detonation sensor and tunes the ignition tables around knock.

L8tr
E
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Hey wow, that's some serious stuff! It's far more "intelligent" than I thought! Thanks for explaining it this thoroughly, now I understand how the adaptive tuning works on that particular management unit. :D

Probably boosts engine durability in the process too! Definitely worth the money! 8)
My N12:
boosted

Post by boosted »

tassuperkart wrote:....
The ECU also will run adaptive ignition tuning as well and it will tune around the Ignition tables based on the torque the engine produces.
Closed loop ignition also invokes the d detonation sensor and tunes the ignition tables around knock.

L8tr
E
wow, i'm pretty amazed of the ecu's capabilities. what i wonder, how can the ecu tune itself by means of torque the engine produces??

greets
martin
Damo

Post by Damo »

boosted wrote:
tassuperkart wrote:....

L8tr
E
wow, i'm pretty amazed of the ecu's capabilities. what i wonder, how can the ecu tune itself by means of torque the engine produces??

greets
martin
It would have to do something like, at each load point finding with what ignition timing it uses the most ammount of fuel whilst maintaining correct AFR's. More fuel burned at correct AFR would mean greater power/torque.

I must say E, well done old timer! Bloody fantastic.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

*tips hat* Thanks gents
I reckon your onto something there Damo.

Ive had a read on the adaptive ignition tuning and it has something to do with the engine shifting on its mounts relative to its drive output and causing a phase shift with what the ecu expects the engine to do against road speed and blah.
I didnt really absorb it that well. For now, Ill stick with my faithful set of figures I have arrived at for everyday running.

Yes, the Adaptronic is a very capable and powerful ECU and at just under $1200 with a loom and a 3 bar map sensors represents really good value when compared to other budget ECU's of far lesser capability.

Altho an "entry level" purchase price, this clobber is anything but entry level to use and have nothing in their brain when you get them and must be configged and set up from scratch including calibrating the MAP and temp sensors!
It requires a lot of time and patience but the results so far have been really encouraging!

L8tr
E
n12sumfin

good work

Post by n12sumfin »

well bugger me thats quite a read from start to finish.

a got a question...my understanding is that for turbo response short exhuast manifold length is better, wouldnt running that pipe from drivers side to the manifold via the gearbox create a fair bit of lag? although i know it is neccessary i was just wondering?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

heheh ta M8.
No not really dude.
Pressure in a pipe is the same almost instantly at one end as the other even allowing for the gas to compress.
id suggest restriction in the long pipe would be more an issue.
L8tr
E