N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

pinging

General chat related to anything N12.
BLUE ET

pinging

Post by BLUE ET »

ok the other night coming home i gave my et a boot out of a roundabout chasing after another car(dont ask why was just bored)

after i slowed down and got back to cruising speed i started to hear a noise that i didnt know what was at the time(later discovered as pinging)
i cruised home off boost and started to check things, first was the ignition timing which was spot on, then the plugs which looked like they were slightly burnt. then just to make sure i checked the cam timing which was also ok. I have put some good fuel in it and had a play with the timing and i can get it to ping less then before but the car still runs like a dog and cylnder 1 and 2 leads can be pulled off at idle with not much difference to the way it runs. i just checked the plugs again before and they were fouled which is confusing the hell out of me. Now im just trying to figure out the problem because i am going to re build it any way but if something that isnt going to be replaced is faulty i dont want too refit it

thanks
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
2fast2stop

Post by 2fast2stop »

Was someone in the passenger seat when it when wrong?
You running stock computer?
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

yes and yes do you think it may have been kicked or knocked when i clutched it??

fuckin albyexa last time i help him with his et lol
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
2fast2stop

Post by 2fast2stop »

BLUE ET wrote:yes and yes do you think it may have been kicked or knocked when i clutched it??

fuckin albyexa last time i help him with his et lol
While your driving wiggle the wires a bit and see if anything changes.

I remember back in the days when i first starting driving like 17 years ago I just got petrol and the dude in the passenger seat must of kicked the wires or moved or something and I was driving out of the station and I was like what the Fu#k kind of petrol did I just put in. It took a while to work out but once I found out it was the wires I was Cheering. Hope that's your problem.
TimmyET

Post by TimmyET »

Yep, I got that in my ET aswell. Any kind of weird jerking about or running shit, always go for the ECU wires first. I used to boot it and the turbo would spool like mad but the car would just not rev past 3500, even on idle...
1. Cut a hole in a box 2. Put your junk in that box 3. Make her open the box
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

ok I just went and did a diagnosis on the ecu and it is giving me code no 34 detonation sensor circut malfunctioning. Now I don't think the sensor would be causing the pinging on boost. I have tried wigglign the ecu wires but to no sucess this is really pissin me off cause I have only been legaly driving my et on my p's for a week and it's already broken LOL. Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
Dans1983

Post by Dans1983 »

man those wires are in the plug are shit, i had the exact same problem ,then i got a mate to wriggle the wires abit when we were driving to see if it would stop fucking around and doin all that shit , he just got some zip ties and tied the pulgs as close as it would go, then bam from that day i never had a problem with my ecu ....
Drrat, Drrat and Double Drrrat !! dont just sit there mutley do something!!!
Damo

Re: pinging

Post by Damo »

BLUE ET wrote:ok the other night coming home i gave my et a boot out of a roundabout chasing after another car(dont ask why was just bored)

after i slowed down and got back to cruising speed i started to hear a noise that i didnt know what was at the time(later discovered as pinging)
i cruised home off boost and started to check things, first was the ignition timing which was spot on, then the plugs which looked like they were slightly burnt. then just to make sure i checked the cam timing which was also ok. I have put some good fuel in it and had a play with the timing and i can get it to ping less then before but the car still runs like a dog and cylnder 1 and 2 leads can be pulled off at idle with not much difference to the way it runs. i just checked the plugs again before and they were fouled which is confusing the hell out of me. Now im just trying to figure out the problem because i am going to re build it any way but if something that isnt going to be replaced is faulty i dont want too refit it

thanks
Are you sure its detonation?

It wont detonate on cruse unless the is something drasticly wrong!

From what you have written, and if what you have written is correct, you have blown the head gasket between cyl #1 and #2 (which is a little strange as they usualy go between 3 and 4). From this, you end up running very bad AFR's on those two cylinders as they are sucking and blowing fuel mix and exhaust from each other at different stages of their cycles. Then they (I would guess #2) detonates from a lean, very hot, air fuel mix.

Compression check would diagnose that to be true or not.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

well Damo what your saying sounds good, so i might just pull the head off any way, i mean the car will cop a rebuild very soon so that is just an oppertunity for a head start on it lol.

But just incase i also tried two other ecus but nothing different, still runs like a dog. Before i tried swapping ecus last night though i checked codes again and found the detonation code to have gone and a tps one to have appeared, strange. But it hasent stopped detonating soo obviously still something wrong.

As for the comp test the bastards at work wouldnt let me take it home so ahh well might as well get stuck in to the car tonight
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!