N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Basic English

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
xr6eta

Basic English

Post by xr6eta »

I know I'm going to get bagged here but is there any chance we can get back to some basic English or at least get some sort of dictionary of our own going so old school folk like myself can understand what the fuck people are writing about. I don't understand text language which sure, you might say is my own fault but even the spelling and the grammar. Start writing threads that read like they should, do a bit of proof reading before hitting that send button. Come on people, we are Exa and ET owners, let's put a little bit of effort into what we write, it's not like the threads are that long.
Ok I've had a couple of beers, that's my gripe, give me your best shot. And before you see Canberra in my tag, no I'm not a pollie.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

ACK (Acknowledged)
AOTO (Amen on that one)
ROTFLMFWAO! (Rolling on the floor laughing my fat white ass off!)

sorry :lol:
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Sure, it's OK with me. I always do proofreading and re-correct and rewrite my posts about twenty to fifty times (I'm not exaggerating those figures, I'm a perfectionist) before I'm satisfied. :D

-- Side note --
But what about the people that aren't native speakers (just like me) or just have problems with vocabulary? Should they stay silent and post nothing just because they don't use the "proper" language? I don't think so.

I'm sure most people are writing as properly as they can. Nobody wants to be misunderstood. We can encourage people to write carefully but let's not start picking on people, because that would be unfair and rather rude.
-- End of side note --
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Good start, I'm not picking on anyone in particular or I would have singled out some atrocious threads. You get to know people from different regions through this site and that's fair enough, and the text talk dictionary is a great start. Just be mindful that there are learners on here that find the tech talk a bit confusing and when it's mixed with bad grammar, there is no hope. Everyone learnt punctuation in school, let's use it.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

xr6eta wrote:.......Everyone learnt punctuation in school, let's use it.
Pigs arse they did...makes me wonder out loud what half of them learned at all at school.
TurboZ.Dude wrote:But what about the people that aren't native speakers (just like me) or just have problems with vocabulary? Should they stay silent and post nothing just because they don't use the "proper" language? I don't think so.
Lol. language barrier at work here already!!! Allowances are made for the likes of you guys!

I do think your kinda missing the point here JAN.
xr6eta was singleing out Ausse speaking posters who are prone to the mobile phone/MSN text shit abbreviations and the rest of the gibberish slang because its easy to type quickly when having a phone text conversation whilst in a classroom or driving to work.

I dont undertstand this nefarious fascination with fucking mobile texting as by the time 10 or 15 texts are sent you might as well have just made a 10 second call to get the message across far more clearly.....yer?.

Having said all that, Im very guilty of doing the text thing along with the cyber language/abbreviation....................

Im with xr6eta on this.
Just write your shit in plain Australian.
EVERYBODY can understand it (Even martin.....tee hee) whereas only those with a large goofy looking baseball caps skew-iff on their head and 10 sizes too large trousers hanging by a promise and a too loose belt can possibly interpret...............................

L8tr
E
Last edited by tassuperkart on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

tassuperkart wrote:I do think your kinda missing the point here Martin.
xr6eta was singleing out Ausse speaking posters who are prone to the mobile phone/MSN text shit abbreviations and the rest of the gibberish slang because its easy to type quickly when having a phone text conversation whilst in a classroom or driving to work.

even for me it is very annoying reading some of us Australian members writing in text language. surely it's not that hard to write a whole message without reverting to it?

as far as i am concerned, members from other countries on this forum write a far more fluent english (most of the time) than us native english speaking folk!
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

i dont use txt lanuage that much but you will notice tones of spelling mistakes and works that should not be in there with me hey im trying to pass year 10 engish at the moment they dont teach ya shit about spelling or anything now all it is about is the diffrent type of how to write it frigen usless unless your gonna be a writter bloody teachers
Ryan ET

Post by Ryan ET »

digginganddirt wrote:i dont use txt lanuage that much but you will notice tones of spelling mistakes and works that should not be in there with me hey im trying to pass year 10 engish at the moment they dont teach ya shit about spelling or anything now all it is about is the diffrent type of how to write it frigen usless unless your gonna be a writter bloody teachers
Wow. I struggled to understand this post. Had to read 3 times, guess where the commas and full stops were meant to go and guess what the miss spelt words were before i knew what you were saying.

I think that you might be right theough, schools need to lift their game.

I really just want people to use commas and full stops! I can handle the spelling mistakes.
1984 N12 PULSAR ET - T25G HIGH MOUNT, MICROTECH MT8, EGI ILET MANIFOLD, 300x600x80 COOLER, STANDARD THROTTLE BODY!!!!, BES TURBO TIMER, AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE.
boosted

Post by boosted »

tassuperkart wrote:
TurboZ.Dude wrote:...
......I do think your kinda missing the point here Martin.....
I think you're mixing up the names here Evan :lol:

But to be serious, of course, some of the text written in here is hard to understand for non native speakers like me, but im not complaining...
At least i'm kind of trained by now in understanding a bit of the australian/OZ slang, mostly it makes reading even more fun compared to plain school grammar english.

I have to admit that when it comes to missing interpunctuation and so on, it takes a while for me to guess what the meaning of a message is (diggingandirt's e.g. - no offence m8 )

Those common english sms/chat abbreviations seem to be used internationally btw....

In the end, altough i take my time to compose my messages, i'm not always sure if the meaning of my posts is clearly understandable.... :)
greets
martin
Last edited by boosted on Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

boosted wrote:In the end, altough i take my time to compose my messages, i'm not always sure if the meaning of my posts is clearly understandable.... :)
greets
martin

easily dude!
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

TurboZ.Dude wrote:I think you're mixing up the names here Evan :lol:
Hehehe no, not at all M8, i was referring to you..... unless your NOT Martin....which would be strange as you sign your posts with "Martin"....... LOL!

My point was you seemed/appeared to include yourself (and other non-native English speaking dudes) as a possible target if xr6eta's spray.

Not at all M8 and xr6eta's spray was not directed even remotely at you guys direction.
We have no trouble with you or any of the other overseas members.
It would be fair to say we have less trouble undertstanding you foreign lot than a fair percentage of Aussie posters!
I know I for one appreciate the time and effort you take to get your points across in Aussie language!! 8) 8) 8)
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

Ash wrote:
boosted wrote:In the end, altough i take my time to compose my messages, i'm not always sure if the meaning of my posts is clearly understandable.... :)
greets
martin

easily dude!
yup, I agree totally!

Evan, you're right! I did miss the point... by a hundred miles. Good point! :P
My N12:
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

WTF? Evan, did you accidentally mix up the nicks in the quotes while writing your post?

Look here, I quote Martin:
boosted wrote:I think you're mixing up the names here Evan :lol:
You quoted Martin:
tassuperkart wrote:
TurboZ.Dude wrote:I think you're mixing up the names here Evan :lol:
And I am NOT Martin, I am Jan! :P
My N12:
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hahahahahahaha yep your right Jan/Lars/Martin/Ulrich/Piers oh...whoever da frig you are...you know who!!!!!!! LOLOL J/K's M8!!!
Sry M8, wrong nick! My bad. Ill fix it.
L8tr
E
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

I have to agree completely on this thing about "txt language". Sometimes it's easy to guess what somebody is trying to say but most often it's very difficult. Just a little bit of extra work and you have all the necessary punctuation. Already one full period after each sentence makes any text a lot more readable. It's not so difficult to write a proper post. :wink:

All due respect to the people writing in "txt language", of course. I'm not trying to insult anybody.
tassuperkart wrote:Hahahahahahaha yep your right Jan/Lars/Martin/Ulrich/Piers oh...whoever da frig you are...you know who!!!!!!! LOLOL J/K's M8!!!
Sry M8, wrong nick! My bad. Ill fix it.
L8tr
E
That's OK. It happens to people sometimes.
Last edited by TurboZ.Dude on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My N12: