N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Boost Controllers??

General chat related to anything N12.
n12_15eT

Boost Controllers??

Post by n12_15eT »

OK guys what kind of boost controllers are you all running. Im tring to decide which to go for. Just a simple manual type bleed valve or a nice electronic one.??
Formally Known as: al_etya
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

i used to use a Turbosmart Boost Tee, it was crap! spiked all the time! so i read about the Turbotech Boost Controller and it sounded pretty good so i bought 1, only $24.99 at the time! bloody steal really! they are about $29.90 or something now. it was definitely way better than the Turbosmart Boost Tee though! it doesn't spike and spools the turbo up a bit quicker. it's not an electronic controller but it's still pretty good, especially for just $30 odd bucks! you can't go wrong! :D
etking

Post by etking »

heard a million good things about the turbotech one... i went all out rice and got the greddy profec II electronic unit, works a treat once u figure out how to tune it lol, depends how far you want to go coz at 450 they are no 30 controller that at the end of the day does the same thing... do turbotech do dual boost controllers? i think dual stage controllers are worth there weight in gold, be able to have a cruise setting and a spirited driving setting
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

nah, just the single boost setting with the Turbotech for now. i'm not to sure but i might of heard somewhere the dude that makes the Turbotech controller might be designing a dual controller? i hope so because this one i've gotnow has impressed me! i'd buy whatever he comes up with next!
KILNIT

Post by KILNIT »

Bought one just waiting for it to show up
angel

Post by angel »

et.turbo.dude wrote:nah, just the single boost setting with the Turbotech for now. i'm not to sure but i might of heard somewhere the dude that makes the Turbotech controller might be designing a dual controller? i hope so because this one i've gotnow has impressed me! i'd buy whatever he comes up with next!
you could make up a duel stage your self. Just get s a solinoid, (open type one) T off the boost source, run one line to the turbo tech and the other line to the solnoid. (place the turbotech and solinoid as close to the T as possible).
Then bring the the two lines together with another T piece(after the solinoid and controller), and plum it into the acuator. So basically, when no power is going to the solnoid, you will run factory boost, this is because the boost pressure will flow through the solinoid and not through the boost controller. When solinoid is powered (shut) then the boost pressure must route through the controller and hence give you your desired high boost.

For those who are wanting both high and low settings, well you could place another controller after the solinoid and set that to your low boost setting.

The only problem i could see with this set up, would perhaps be the reflux of boost pressure. on low boost setting,(solnoid open) the boost pressure from the solnoid line will hit the acuator, which will provide back pressure and may force it up the other line the boost controller is on. The problem with that is, the pressure relieve hole on the turbo tech, which allows, trapped air to escape after the wastgate has shut/gear change to avoid spiking.

I would think that this would not cause a problem as the hole is relatively small. It could even be beneficial by allowing trapped air in the line to esacpe after gear change. If the pressue release hole to prove to cause a problem, then a closed type solnoid could be place straight after the controller. The solinoids can be wired to the same switch, so when one is open the other is closed stopping any pressure reflux.

Hope that makes sense with out any diagrams
Mods: GT28R, Microtech lt10s, stg3 cam, double valve springs, vn intake to vl external pump, mapassi @ 50psi, 3inch dump to 2 1/2 system, vl throttle, NPC clutch, 160HP @ wheels on 12psi

"power to the peaceful" Michael Frantii
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

good explanation Matt but i'm not that fussed about having different boost settings. would be ok but not a necessity for me just yet. the way you described making a dual stage boost controller would work just fine though. it could be of use to someone! :wink:
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Post by thepurplepulsar »

I'm all for the TurboTech Boost controllers aswell. For a cheap and simple unit they do the job well, it out performs my old Turbosmart controller by far.

The only thing I don't like about the Turbotech is setting the amount of boost. Since it's just a threaded bolt and doesn't 'click' it's a bit of trial and error with the amount of 1/4 or 1/2 turns you do to slowly increase or decrease the psi.

Other than that they are great.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

funny thing as well with the Turbotech. in the instructions it say's to turn the boost up you have to turn it the opposite way to a bleed valve controller. every time i go and try and adjust the boost i turn it the wrong way thinking it's a bloody normal bleed valve :lol: and then wonder whats stuffed. :D

Ash. :twisted:
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

I run the GReddy Profec B spec II with optional remote control, i used to run a GReddy Profec A was an awesome unit for sure ROCK solid boost and having the unit set to ramp up as fast as possible made driving fun lol
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

i use GFB controller, hold good for a freebie
n12_15eT

Post by n12_15eT »

I have been doing some research on this kit, which is availible from Jaycar Electronics. Might be worth a look at!!

http://autospeed.drive.com.au/A_2541/xB ... ticle.html
http://autospeed.drive.com.au/cms/A_254 ... ticle.html
Formally Known as: al_etya
ETEEZA

Re: Boost Controllers??

Post by ETEEZA »

n12_15eT wrote:OK guys what kind of boost controllers are you all running. Im tring to decide which to go for. Just a simple manual type bleed valve or a nice electronic one.??

Im using a TURBO XCESS or something....but im upgrading to EBOOST-2
etking

Post by etking »

damn you matt with your ricey remote control :P
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Boost Controllers??

Post by Ash »

ETEEZA wrote:
n12_15eT wrote:OK guys what kind of boost controllers are you all running. Im tring to decide which to go for. Just a simple manual type bleed valve or a nice electronic one.??

Im using a TURBO XCESS or something....but im upgrading to EBOOST-2
weren't there some problems reported with the EBoost 2's? apparently they tend to stuff up. better off with the first EBoost? they were a good unit!