N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Changing dash.

General chat related to anything N12.
agecage

Changing dash.

Post by agecage »

Ive got a standard turbo dash. Want to change it for my digi dash. But my cars only got 111,000kms and the digi has 230,000kms how do i go about winding the kms back on the dash. Also do i need to get it certed by some1 so that it is legit???
N12 Exa turbo
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Interesting problem. I don't suppose you can wind back the electric odometer with a drill or something... I suspect you'd need to take it to an electronic engineer.

It's meant to be a fairly big deal (fraud) to fudge the mileage on a car, but as far as I can tell, there's no mechanism in place to enforce it, except maybe when it comes to used car dealers... might be different in NZ, though.
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

As far as I am aware. Most dashes do not "rewind" the mileage, the only option is to run it forward until it clocks itself around and then back to where your dash is.

As Kimmo said, a drill with the end of an old cable in it, or for an electric speedo (Not sure if the digi's use a mechanical cable, or convert it to an electrical signal) Maybe find the correct wires and run a continual voltage across it (I'd start with a AA battery, then 2xAA's... work up to a 9Volt).
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

You will find the speedo cable still influences the odo just like in an analogue dash. You might be able to feed the dash cluster 12V and then use the old drill technique.
(don't forget the wiring for the normal dash is different to the digi dash too.......i always wanted one of those.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
boosted

Post by boosted »

anyone got a picture of the electronic dash? (couldn't find it in the forums search)
geoffman1

Post by geoffman1 »

yeah my mate has wound back his clock on his VS commie with a cordless drill 256000 to 186000 it took him about 4.5 hours though lol
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Yo age, i took my digi to 'Auckland Speedo Services' when it died. They are in Glenfield now. If you're gonna take it somewhere it may as well be to a place that has pulled one apart before.
agecage

Post by agecage »

The odomoter is analog on the speedo is digital evrything else is the same. I have all the wiring for it as well i a box some were.
N12 Exa turbo
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

Picture of a Digi Dash
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

Valentich wrote:Image

Picture of a Digi Dash
must get my ass into gear and fit mine
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

You must! U and age can figure stuff out 2getha
boosted

Post by boosted »

Valentich wrote:http://i86.photobucket.com/albums/k93/V ... C08737.jpg
Picture of a Digi Dash
cool, thanks for posting
cheers
martin
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Kimmo wrote:Interesting problem. I don't suppose you can wind back the electric odometer with a drill or something... I suspect you'd need to take it to an electronic engineer.

999,999-230,000=769999 = 0km on odo + 110,000km
879999/200kmh(asuming your drill can spin it at 200km/h)
means it would take 4399 hours to clock it over hahaha
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Not keen on the digital dash myself... I want to do what one bloke on here did and get another gauge plate made up with white on black that lights up blue.

Have to do the HVAC bit as well to match... I was thinking of augmenting the standard boost gauge with a strip of LEDs between the lines along the bottom, that'd be cool. I'd do it with one led per 0.5PSI, from -15 to +15. Prolly have em as all white ones with colour in front going from blue at -15 through white at 0 to red at +15.

Would be cool.
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

IIRC the digi dash has a mechanical odometer display. In that case it's possible to set the odometer reading manually: you need to take out the shaft that sits above (or below, depending on application) the main shaft the odometer number rolls sit on, because that shaft contains the 'controlling sprockets' for the rolls. When you remove them you are free to rotate the number rolls individually in any desired direction (the last digit can also be rotated by hand but only in one direction). when done, put the axle with the 'controlling sprockets' back on, and voilá! Be careful not to bend the shafts or break the metal 'pins' that lock the shafts in position.

I've done this to my odometer because I had to replace my broken speedometer assembly.

Here's my N/A speedo/odometer assembly, yours may look a bit different but the odometer mechanism should be just about the same.
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash