N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

gearbox question

General chat related to anything N12.
dmb_et

gearbox question

Post by dmb_et »

hi guys i have a set up as such well will i have all the stuff just gotta put in...
t28bb
front mount intercooler set up
ltx8 microtech with afm log all removed
400hp fuel pump
full rebuild acl race pistons,bearings,rings,balanced crank, ported head and larger valves.
bigger injectors
fpr
adjustable cam gear
what can i do about the gearbox i have heard of these n12/13 box's
and the engine/gearbox mounts i dont wanna be going through box's like no tomorrow... what power would i be looking at and also
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

stock box will handle that power if you dont drive it like a tard and smash through the gears which most n12 owners do from what i have seen then have a big teary when the box breaks and blame the 'crappy' boxes.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Should be able to get 150kw on on moderate boost (15-17 psi)

Just make sure you have a good clutch and you'll be right
dmb_et

Post by dmb_et »

hey yeah got a exedy h/d clutch
n yeah it should hold alright its my daily driver atm n i dont wanna be every couple of months changing box's
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

I lasted like 4 years on the original box putting out 83kw and eventually up to 120somthing, then i rebuilt it with an LSD etc. And has lasted a couple of years of driving and tons of track time including running big slicks with over 160kw

It is dead now, but at a fault of the box casing chipped off from a flywheel dowel, so it would still be going if not for that.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Yeah I agree,

Gearboxes are generally fairly tuff, when not absolutely abused.

I have used my standard gearbox - with replaced selector bushes - since the day I have owned it. Its done some tuff work.

It currently circuit races around all day without a problem with around 120ish kw.

Its get a bit hot though after 20 laps or so, so I am thinking of placing an oil cooler/pump setup onto it.

Basically, if your gearbox is OK now just leave it. Change the oil in it when you rebuild engine and motor on!! :)

Darren.
Race it.
dmb_et

Post by dmb_et »

hey thanks guys i will need a new gearbox when i changed the clutch i drained the oil and it was very silvery it runs fine just 3rd sometime is rough... just a question how to mounts hold up... engine and g/box.