N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

DIY stronger engine mount

General chat related to anything N12.
etking

Post by etking »

another tick for the ET over the EXA haha :P
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

The Renegade wrote:Nah, I'm almost certain that Exas didn't come with the mini shockies for engine mounts.
think it depends which year, all ET's should(if they havent been changed before)have the shock mounts but i know the 83 exa's didnt
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
kid nismo

Post by kid nismo »

Hey guys,

I may have found the solutions to the rear gas shock mount issue.

http://www.strutregas.net/

Will enquire to see if they can re-gas the shock engine mounts.

Cheers
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Bwaaahahahaha those shock mounts are just a simple little sealed hydraulic shock M8.
No gas in them LOL.
Unlikely you will get them rebuilt.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I've tracked down a supplier of polyurethane in the Shore 65A, he's sending me some final prices. The costs are (Approx) $35 for the PrePol and $50 for the curative both in 1 litre or 1kg. With a 10-1 ration you get a litre of polyurethane for about $40, which should be a couple of mounts or several bushes.
Stuart

New mounts

Post by Stuart »

My engine has broken a couple of studs off it's T25. I am going to replace all engine mounts and install a flexible section in my exhaust.

I have bought 3 new mounts from Bursons, manufactured by Kelpro. With the bag in hand and over 200 dollars poorer, I came to realise that I am missing the front and rear engine/torque mounts.

I have sourced some Shore A windscreen urethane from Wurth, with the intention of filling the mounts I have bought.

Now with the front mount, it is about $150 from Nissan. I haven't even asked about the rear mount. Does anybody know of an aftermarket manufacturer and/or a suitable reconditioning substitute. Could I just weld them up and/or fill them up with urethane?

I am trying to keep costs down but want to do things properly.

I am not pulling huge grunt and will most probably stay around 100kw in the future. Thank you in advance for your advice.

-Stuart
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

what is the Shore A rating of the sealant? 50, 60, 65, 70 ,75, or something else?

Stiffening the engine mounts will make the car noisier and you'll feel more engine vibrations.

At this satge most people here are at the talking stage, but if your serious about this I'll get you the detail of the urethane I've found and you can get some and have a go at cutting out and repouring yours.....

C
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Stuart - The Exas never came with the Torque mounts front and rear, they were solid items. Possibly the same as the N/A model (I think Tassuperkart said they were)
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
nz_n12turbo

Post by nz_n12turbo »

my mounts are off na model and they fitted fine :)
Stuart

Thanks

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Callum for yor message. I am unsure of the strength of the urethane, I may just leave the mounts as standard as see how it goes. I definately dont want anymore rattles and vibrations, the rest of the car does that enough :) .

I was lucky to find that Kelpro also make a front mount, the part no. is MT8087. It is a fixed type, to suit a n/a, which will be fine for my ET. I did not see it previously on the website but I did find it in the Kelpro catalogue at Supercheap. It should be about 40 bucks, which is fine.

Thank you everybody for your advice, I will be installing all of the engine mounts in the next few weeks.

-Stuart
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

Can anyone tell... are the ET type shock mounts or the N/A type solid mounts better for a high power setup????
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

SammyET wrote:Can anyone tell... are the ET type shock mounts or the N/A type solid mounts better for a high power setup????
i have the n/a solid mount in atm. better than stuffed old shock type ones :lol:
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hmmmmmm........

Seems like a awful amount of data searching and exact product replication time wasting to me!!

Just grab a tube of silicone sealant, and fill the holes in the standard side mounts. Come on guys, we are dealing with 20+ year old rubber here. The chances that they are even close to "as new" mounts are slim to none, so getting the exact hardness goo is a waste of time. $35 for a tube!! Come on, buy old-mate $5 tube and a case of beer to wash it down.

You didn't realy spend $200 on new mounts did you?

BTW, did this a couple of years ago and it gave me the desierd result. Engine sits firmer, as you can hear and feel it through the car. I also swapped over from the shocker (old and shot to shit) mounts and replaced them with some for the N/A. I will have to do the same silicone treatment to these also, as there is a fair amount of slop in them too.

Damo
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yer those NA retainers actually have an oversize kinda loop which allows the engine to rotate freely for quite a way in its rubber before they either "bottom" or "top" out.

I know my car tramps quite badly, especially in the rain at lower speeds. The nes suspension did nothing to reduce this eaither leading me to believe that the old and soft rubber mounts must be the culprit.
Tramp is always a nice way to break transmissions.

I actually quite like the idea of the little shocks in there but they are pretty light on dampening tho.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

kid nismo wrote:Hey guy's, had alook at my engine mounts.
Seems like the side mounts are the only mounts that can be filled.
The front mount looks like a solid mount and the rear is a gas shock.
Does anybody know if the n/a rear mounts will bolt up to the turbo gear box? I dont want to resort to welding the rear shocks up.

btw here is another link I found, it's an SR20 forum with guys who have used M3 windo weld and have had good results.

http://www.sr20forum.com/general-sr20/5 ... ounts.html

Cheers
This suggests that only one one mount can be filled and it is designed to left/right movement not for/aft rocking/movement. Now at this stage I must admit I have taken the next step and confirmed it, but if this is the case then repouring the others in a proper polyurethane would be better than A $5 window sealer.