N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Tassuperkarts GX Turbo (Updated again!)

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

after the tight friendship we have chisseled, i wish i had to carefactor and the time to be as negative to all your mods as you have to mine or just to put your project down in general but i just cant do it, i was blown away with the stonethrower i've known brings this to the table but if its one thing i've learnt from you that will be my advice, nissan did a marvelous job so no mods are neccassary, feel free to throw a champ, tiger or sport in there somewhere i could never degrade as you could but i try. i do still hope it sll works out for ya any oil cooler dramas you run into pm me. i've been told the best method
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Im sure forced must have been either serioulsly pissed or under the influence of some very good druges when he decided to start typing.
I for one, dont have even the slightest idea of what heas on about.

Am i being insulted or congratulated??????

WTF has oil coolers got to do with anything. The Nissan oil to water heat exchanger works well.......errrrrrrmmmmmmmmm!

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

I think he in love with you mate,he just the shy type is all
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Zoozoom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

:lol:
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

RARELY is something easy!

Post by tassuperkart »

So, nothing ever is easy but...sheesh!

Ok engine outm pull head, replace, add all ancilliary stuff and hang enging back into the chassis.

Now, i have been looking long and hard at my hybrid N12/N13 gearbox and something has been bothering me even since the thing arrived hear almost 2 years ago.

It turns out that the usual practise of loading the N12 gearcases with the N13 shafts and diff has been ignored in this one.
This setup is an N12 bellhousing with an N13 gearcase which means the fucking gearbox enginemount is no good....... fuck-me-swinging....!
I suspect the builder figures the N13 gearcase is a tougher item than the N12.
Im fucked iffen I know and care even less but Im also buggered if Im going to split a perfectly good gearbox to change gearcases, reset the bearing preload and assemble so it going to be a hybrid engine mount.

I was never happy with the PCV setup between the et rocker cover and the EGI manifold. The task of removing the rocker cover was fairly tricky and I had to seal it up with silastic so i bunged up the original PCV hole in the manifold and opened up the blocked off EGR port down on the manifold runners as a vac source, made up a little ally blanking plate with a hosetail fitted and finally fitted a 90 degree elbow and hosetail to the vent port on the rocker cover and the PCV valve now just lives in this new and longer line which snakes off the gearbox side of the engine.
Also means that oil fumes and mist dont travel directly into the plenum area and only directly into the runners. Probably a moot point but hey!

My FPR was originally bracketed to this old EGR valve position but Ill relocate the FPR onto the firewall Id say.

Anyway, more later!

Oracle
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hmmmmm.... How much dicking will you need to do to get the box to mount to the engine?
Also, does the N12 share the same shaft splines as the N13?

Make it work old fella, then you can use the factory LSD center!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Yay!
Turns out that the builder of the box knew this and did a bit of grinding to the webs on the side of the box and the stock N12 mount bolts straiught on. 2 of the N13 bolt holes are not used.

When I first hung it there it all looked like it was going to go to shit so i stomped out of the shed with a case of the shits and didnt complelely mate up the mount to the gearbox.

I still dont think the LSD is a bolt on option Damo as this box still uses the N12 bellhousing and this forms half of the diff housing.

The driveshafts are the same tho which is a yay!

L8r
Oracle
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

OK, The beast is alive.

I spent quite a while up there today getting this thing running. Its not that i was slow, its just that i had made so many small changes to things which took so much time.
Lots of little things to do with wiring loom runs, turbo watercooling hoses, heater hoses, making adapters, pcv vent system relocated, relocate the FPR to the firewall, ecu earthing....all sorts of little things that add up to a big thing in the end.
Its the result of lots of changes and addiditons over time and never really getting everything done quite right in an effort to get it on the road but i have unlimited time now to attend to these pesky little issues.

Another tiresome thing was i lifted the engie out complete and left the radiator in place.
I replaced the motor with the radiator out but i found i could not fit the radiator back in with the turbo mounted. The electric fan hits the wastegate can. Cant remove the fan without removi9ng the intercooler, cant do that without dismantling the entire frontend.... aint going th happen!
Cant remove the wastegate can with turbo bolted up either.... dont ask, just cant.
On my highmount T25 setup, the turbo cannot be removed from the manifold without removing the compressor housing first. Way it is.
Other than that, its a matter of removing the entire turbo/manifold off the head but by this stage the dump and zorst is all connected up..... arrrgh!
Oh well off with the compressor housing, in with the radiator and back on with the compressor housing... another 30 minutes burnt...........

So in the end i crank it up and the bastard wont go....Eh??? WTF??....... Sheesh... some dumb kent didnt connect the CAS plug did he......
Crank it up and away it goes altho pretty flat due to grossly retarded timing. A quick adjustment and its away.

Thing is its running oddly tho and the issue reveals itself as the AIT and CHT connectors switched. Id forgotten the wiring colour and i couldnt be bothered finding the wiring diagramme. I meant to plug in the tuning handpiece to check if had the temp senders switched, but just forgot to...mah, my bad. Swap 'em over and its much nicer now.

Its runs somewhat differently with a stock head as opposed to the ported head.; Sounds less "happy" This motor doesnt reallly "lump" much on idle as such with its custom ground cam, which sort of sits somewhere between a stage 2 and 3 kind of thing.
More an uneven sort of missing kind of idle. Sounds out of tune actually!!!!
Also, despite lightening the stock flywheel, it free revs somewhat slower with the bigger flywheel and clutch assembly than it did with the little atmo setup.
The new tough clutch is nicely weighted against the foot and engages smoothly but very quickly.
All the gears in the new hybrid box engage smoothly except for backwards which is a bit difficult to engage for some reason. The linkages are not good but not really that bad either...

Id found some issues in the original ECU tune I had to re-write so long ago after the ECU reset itself for some reason. I did a fairly quick roadside tune to get it going again for wifey and just forgot to atend to some issues.
I spent another full hour just writing a new tune paying particular attention to ignition timing lower down to smoothen out the thing. Added some vacuum advance over what was there, which was next to nothing and moved the very agressive advance curve I had loaded much further up the rev range to even things out.
The EMS ecu has a completely different tuning procedure to say a Microtech or a Haltech and you have to totally forget what you kinow with those others to get anywhere. Takes some time to get the hang of it being so long since I had done anything with it.
Slow running and high vac running was excessively lean and added with the agressive ignition tune made the thing pretty angry. Its like a kitten now in comparison.
Cold start was always good so ive made no changes to that un til i give it another whirl on a cold day.

So, thinghs to do now are to thoroughly bleed the front brakes with my new MightyVac bleeding kit I bought.
I got sick of having to get wifey to pump the pedal and the MightyVac is a one man vacuum pump bleeder setup and you just pump away standing next to the MC reservior and top up while continously bleeding!!!
Niiiiice kit!!!!!!

I have a munted set of bearings on the low side front hub so ill fit another hub with good bearings. It really wails right now!

The next job is to cut out the caliper brackets for the new R31 rear disks. Its a straightforward matter of cutting out of 6mm flat plate and I have some nice 6mm ally sheet which Ill use. A very simple job with a jigsaw and just using the stock brackets as a guide to positioning of the calipers, backdrill a couple of holes using a stock bracket as a template and all is good.

More later with some pix of the brake setup.
Oracle
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

i felt i needed to say something as you def have alot to say about what i do ( which weirds me out abit ) but i just couldnt bring myself to do it, i found it funny to finally see your ride but, and i couldnt believe all the bullshit you've sent my way and lets face it yours is......... i just cant do it cos watching people work on whatever interests them is inspiring. the oil cooler rant was i was told by you something along the lines of nissan did a great job so why touch it they have the money and the testing facilities to get it right..... yet you mod away like the rest of us.

and i do like him or her lets face it we on the net here, it boggles my mind how he/she puts down my efforts but is on the forum doing the same thing with the only difference being my car will be for one purpose his/hers will be for another.

definatly not insulting, not congratulating just following your mods just like everyone else.....
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I was going to let your bullshit pass Forcefed but im going to say this one, and once only.

The difference between you and me is i do modifications in the pursuit of improved power WITH flexibilty and reliability in mind.
i dont change or modify things for the sake of it. Only if there is an improvement to be had. I research and base my changes on proven outcomes rather than bench racing bullshit down at the local chew and spew.
The only addition to the car that, IMHO was not necessary was the big brakes.
The 900 kilo car was perfectly happy with the 230mm brakes front and back but these EVO 4 brakes came up at an unbeateable price and I fitted them with a view to developing a bigger and better brake package to suit the few of us on here who are not solely obsessed with how fast can you go in a straight line and dont really need any brakes at all.

Im also uninterested in those whackers who bitch about brake fade after repeated emergency stops to dead zero from 160 KPH +......Youd have to fit F1 brakes in order to cope with that sort of rubbish and drivers who complain about fading brakes from that kind of nafarious practise should perhaps consider some modifications to their driving habits and moreso their attitude.

No siree, im interested in the very few serious circuit racers here who actually DO explore the limits of the stock brakes and who COULD justify a fairly serious brake upgrade.
So, I have an ulterior motive and that is to HELP these guys out by doing the hard yards and developing a brake package they can rely on rather than then having to live with a package that is marginal as far as a circuit race car is concerned but still be able to use street friendly pads as a runaround.

What I DONT do is take perfectly functioning ancilliary components such as the standard oil heat exchanger, cut it to pieces without first asking myself WHY and what are the consequences.

YOU on the other hand, just take to things with little thought to what the knockon effect might be and just HOPE that you made a positive difference.

Removing the oil heat exchanger is preposterous at best and downright stupid otherwise for 2 very very valid reasons which i have tiresomely detail out to you in the past.
Its a fairly similar kind of stupidity as those poor clowns who STILL insist on removing the thermostat from an engines cooling system... OMFG!

If you dont know/get the reasons now then you never will.

However, you seem so hellbent on overcooling your oil with no knowledge whatsoever of the consequences as you, and so many other misguided individuals who still seem to believe that the colder the engine fluids runs, the better everything should be.

Well, nothing could be further from the truth.

Now, you have choices here Forcedfield, you can comment positively on my changes, In which case i will give you all the criteria as to why a change was done and HOW it was done.
I hold NO secrets and am happy to share over 40 years of performance engine building and fabrication with anybody who asks.

Or you can comment negatively in which case i will take you to task over it and ask/make you to explain to everyone in an intelligent manner exactly WHY you are negative and as you should know i dont hold back. I dont care about hurt feeling or soft-cockedness!
I want answer, facts and figures to back up a claim. You convince me, and everybody else im not right then ill suck it up and say so.

Or you can just fuck right off.
Pretty simple really. I dont give a shit either way.

Oracle
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

tassuperkart wrote: soft-cockedness!
:lol:
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

@ E & Forcd4

Jeez boys, you like playing with each other so much why don't you just get married?

otherwise leave each other alone!

and no, I don't care for the "he said, she said" rubbish of my 5 years olds.....

play nice or you should both loose your toys.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

*hurt look* I WAS being nice C, and you know it.

Im nice to everybody who conducts themselves in an intelligent manner.
I was even nice to Forcefed as well given I was tempted to give him a decent spray.

Newhoo, hes rattling the bars in my thread isnt he!
Always has the option of staying out of it, you know, "cant stand the heat - stay out of the kitchen" theme of thing?...!!!!!!

You know me well enough C to know i dont suffer fools who argue technical points with little more than emotion and no facts or hard evidence and nor will I back down from such.

Newhoo, I lol'ed long and loud, along with plenty of others when i read my post back!!!!!

L8r
Oracle