N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

external wastegate

General chat related to anything N12.
japcrap

external wastegate

Post by japcrap »

hey everyone just wondering if any of youse have ever or have heard of someone installing an external wastegate to the n12. ive recently purchased a 46mm external and im hoping to install it on my next tune up. just a quick qs is it hard to modify the standard exhaust manifold since its a cast iron? if i have to buy a custom manifold obviously it has to be a mild steel or stainless. any suggestions? once i got this baby installed its gonna sound insane with the screamer pipes going off. cheers.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

Any reason other than the homo sound of the screamer you bought an external gate? 46mm is plenty big I would've gone a 38mm. You could mod the stock manifold how good it would work would be another thing.
You need it to be mounted where all the it collects before entering the turbo whic on the stocker isnt a large area would be a lot of modding, I would suggest a custom manifold in steam pipe.

As for the sound It will just sound like what it will be, an Exhaust leak and will probably get on your nerves after a few weeks. Id also keep an eye out for police and RTA as they arent legal in any way shape or form in ANY state.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Your going to have a devil of a time modding the stock iron manifold to get a decent takeoff point for the external 'gate.

Find someone who is VERY GOOD at welding up cast iron heads from trucks and see if he will even touch it.
Your going to significantly weaken the entire manifold structure (which is already prone to cracking) by first inserting a chunck of pipe and second by welding aged cast iron.

You could make a steel sandwich plate between your manifold and turbo but thats going to be quite funky to fit the turbo back in and not hit the radiator.

Take a tip M8, find a second hand fabricated steel manifold and cut and shut it to your hearts content.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Shouldn't you be able to get the cast manifold heat-treated or something to prevent the cracking?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Dun quite work like that.
There is a heat up/weld/heat up/cool down process for welding up cast iron to help normalise it aftewards but with such an old manifold its very hit and miss.
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I don't mean for this bloke's purposes, but generally, for durability like.

Maybe grinding it smooth to remove all the stress risers too... not to mention letting more heat make it to the turbs
japcrap

Post by japcrap »

[quote="Panda_ET"]Any reason other than the homo sound of the screamer you bought an external gate? 46mm is plenty big I would've gone a 38mm. You could mod the stock manifold how good it would work would be another thing.
You need it to be mounted where all the it collects before entering the turbo whic on the stocker isnt a large area would be a lot of modding, I would suggest a custom manifold in steam pipe.

As for the sound It will just sound like what it will be, an Exhaust leak and will probably get on your nerves after a few weeks. Id also keep an eye out for police and RTA as they arent legal in any way shape or form in ANY state.[/quote]

i actually didnt bought the wastegate, a friend of mine who actually supplies aftermarket parts happily gave it to me. I happy to take it and not complain on how big the diameter is. and having a screamer pipes on an ET. well i have never seen or heard of any1 putting 1 on the n12. so maybe it could be the first??? as for RTA pulling you over. they can pretty much dick u for anything nowadays from small things to big things u just have to be careful full stop. wastegate only opens up when your in full boost so until then you wouldnt even hear it whatsoever.
JETETT

Post by JETETT »

get somthing like this made up im using one of these for my setup with a factory manifold... but better for a low mount turbo, dont go using a massive turbo, cause it will hit the radiator...

baz

Post by baz »

With that adapter the T2 would hit the radiator wouldn't it?..As for your question being the 1st screamer..your not the 1st..There is an orange ET down here that has a screamer but with an internal gate so it sounds like a truck..External gate FTMFW :D ..Screamers sound sick on ca's running a decent amount of boost..Same with rb's
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
japcrap

Post by japcrap »

that adaptor is not a bad idea and cheaper than getting a whole new manifold. its just a matter of fitting it in is the problem. where did u get that done anyways? yeh screamer sounds sick on rb coz a mate had 1. people thought he had an 70k car. lol. hopefully it will sound just as good on the et.plus it gives u the other benefits of an external wastegate does.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Kimmo wrote:I don't mean for this bloke's purposes, but generally, for durability like.

Maybe grinding it smooth to remove all the stress risers too... not to mention letting more heat make it to the turbs
Cast has other issues, like porosity, pour grain size/orientation, inadequate precipitate distribution, high susceptibility to hydrogen embrittlement, blah, blah....just really not for welding

C
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I couldn't give a shit about welding cast iron.

What's bothering me is the prospect of replacing my crappy tubular manifold with the cast one, modifying my dump pipe to suit, and the bastard going out to lunch on me again.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

weld yourself one up with some steampipe ;)
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

If I had the means, I would have done instead of paying $700 for a total piece of shit.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

Dang $700 thats steep even racetec is cheaper than than
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com