N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Performance Mods For My ET!

General chat related to anything N12.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Hey everyone!

Ok i have done the AFM Relo, Now before you look at the pictures i really only relocated it 150mm, but the setup is completely different.

Now when i started pulling everything apart i was going to do the setup like in the AFM Relocation How To, but they realized that the left hand side (From front on) where the air box used to be would be bare and all the action would be on the right side, so i decided to place the pod where the air box was.

When i did my plumbing apprenticeship i remember a table showing how much resistance is put on air/water when you add bends to pipework, from memory a 90 degree bend on 1 inch copper adds 1 meter resistance to your fluid/air.

So this in mind i wanted to arsehole the standard setup due to the restrictive bends and kinks.

And these pics are the finished product! I used a 2.5 inch madrel bent mild steel pipe. A brass nipple for the vacuum line to the Cold Start Log and the rest pretty much explains itself.

I was originally going to fix the pod to the car chassis but then decided to move the engine mount and modify it so i could use a 2.5 inch hose clamp (As you can see in the pics) so now the hole AFM/POD setup is free to move with the engine due to torque.

First thing i noticed when i started the car was the idle, its 1 tone, no jumping around up and down, just a steady perfect idle. Next thing i noticed was when i was driving the car, The pull, the torque its like a completely different ride, when cruising and i put the foot down just enough to slowly advance the roar that comes from the pod is, well EPIC.

This is one thing i am glad i did, thanks for pushing me peeps! Only one bad thing has come from doing this to my car, somewhere along the way i have leant on the neck of the radiator where you fill it up and caused it to get a pinhole crack in it haha, so it's out for the radiator and down to get repaired, thank fuck for a RDO on monday!

I also had to extend the loom the runs to the plug for the AFM by 150mm, was going to turn the AFM upside down but thought there is no point cutting corners, plus i enjoy a bit of solder/heat shrink action every now and then

Anyway any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well M8, seems you have added a great length of pipe. For what exactly?
its also a nice little heat exchanger to add heat to the inlet.
Secondly, i see you have your rocker cover vent to one of those stupid little filter thingies.
Plumb that into that pipe. ANY air that enters the engine should go thru the AFM.
Id say ur lucky uve been able to get ur idle mixtures up enough to compensate or you have either a blocked PCV valve or have blocked/removed it in the first place. Most times this setup results in really lean idle mixtures and constant cutting out.
Id say that your crap idling previous to the mod was due to overly rich idle mixtures to begin with.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

[quote="tassuperkart"]Well M8, seems you have added a great length of pipe. For what exactly?
its also a nice little heat exchanger to add heat to the inlet.
Secondly, i see you have your rocker cover vent to one of those stupid little filter thingies.
Plumb that into that pipe. ANY air that enters the engine should go thru the AFM.
Id say ur lucky uve been able to get ur idle mixtures up enough to compensate or you have either a blocked PCV valve or have blocked/removed it in the first place. Most times this setup results in really lean idle mixtures and constant cutting out.
Id say that your crap idling previous to the mod was due to overly rich idle mixtures to begin with.

L8r
E[/quot And the venting BOV to top it off.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Hi there! "seems you have added a great length of pipe. For what exactly?"
I don't understand this, to distance from the turbo to the AFM/POD is less now than it was with the standard setup on it AND without the twists and turns, and as for the heat exchange it still needs to be heat wrapped. The flow of air through it and the heat wrap as insulation should keep in inside fairly cool, its going through a turbo anyway so i doubt the couple of degrees dif is going to change much.

"The stupid little filter thingy" is a temporary fix till i get get an oil catch can. As for the air coming out of it, the computer thinks that that air has been used in the cylinders, blow by air is in no way reused whilst still in the engine so what does it matter where it vents? It's only bad if its leaked after the AFM has accounted for it and it doesn't make it to the cylinders.

Are you always this helpful on your posts, Jordz
Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

If you like it and it's the way u want it then it's the way it'll be mate. But just for something to think about... You have used about 180 degrees worth of bends right?

From memory kimmo's way uses the same amount of "twists and turns" (maybe less, I'd have to look) but with nearly a metre less pipe? That doesn't go anywhere near any notable heat source.

All we're saying is there might have been a better way to do it.

But again, if it's the way u want it then have it that way.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

Hey mate, i am extremely happy with the outcome, yes 180 in total, the mandrel bend one offers about the third of the resistance of having a silicone 90 on there, un interupted flow.

The whole stell pipe doesnt add up to 1 meter, the length from the afm to the start of the madnrel bend is about 350mm, the notable heat source with kimmo's would come from the pod sucking in the air from where its located (not near a cold air source) first of all his pod is facing the rear of the car and second its in the middle of the engine bay.

Much of a muchness, i'm happy car sounds great goes good, thanks everyone for your input!
2fast2stop

Post by 2fast2stop »

Noone here is tryin to bag ya just help you out.

If I can just suggest to you if you have long term plans with the car and your going to do more to it then I would consider relocating you battery to the boot(passenger side to balance weight when driving alone). Since you got a pin hole near filler on the radiator get the fella to turn it around and put your radiator overflow on the opposite side and move overflow over to where your air filter is now ( stock n12 pulsar is over there pick one up for $5 or $10 bucks) and move the afm and airfilter straight off the turbo as straight as you can. You can even point it down a bit and get cool fresh air. All I can say is think long term and avoid doing things over and over again. I have owned my ET's for 15 years and I can tell you not to focus on short term power goals as it only takes a Few days and you looking for more power again. I spent way to much money in the early days only to have none of that in use now. Like anything in life get you overall goal in place and work to that. from this forum you should be able to work out the limits of our engines. All the best and may your beast produce some serious hp.
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

2fast2stop wrote:Noone here is tryin to bag ya just help you out.
Hey mate thanks for the reply, as you can tell from the posts after i posted picture etc, this statement is hard to understand.

I am not bothered or phased, i am happy with it the way it is as previously stated. In an earlier posts i also stated i didn't want to go overboard with the car, i have 2 cars that are stock already faster than this if i was going to make a fast car i wouldn't spend my cash on this.

The only plans i have from here are to put a t25 among a couple of other visual things like tinted windows etc.

I don't own this car because i want to make it stupidly fast, i own it because i enjoy driving it. But like you said if i was going to go all out on it i would have thought ahead so i didn't keep stepping on my own dick.

At the end of the day the only diff between this and kimmo's setup is a 200mm length of straight pipe, imho not noticeable.

I did ask for feedback and suggestions but i think i am now regretting it!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I'm glad to hear you've gained the benefits of the AFM relo, but I'm surprised it's happened given the volume of air between the turbs and AFM... I'd say minimising that volume would maximise the benefit. I'm not happy with mine as it is (it's further away now than it was in those pics), I'd like to make it as close as possible.

As for the breather and vent to atmo BOV, sure Evan's advice can be hard to take sometimes, but I regard his word as pretty close to gospel when it comes to these engines... same with Damo. These dudes know their shit, and I'd agree with em that no matter how well you figure you have it running now, if you follow their advice, you can get it running much better.

They're not trying to diss you man, IMO you just need thicker skin.

Evan could prolly use nicer manners, but that ain't gonna happen :wink:
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Dinwoodie wrote: "The stupid little filter thingy" is a temporary fix till i get get an oil catch can. As for the air coming out of it, the computer thinks that that air has been used in the cylinders, blow by air is in no way reused whilst still in the engine so what does it matter where it vents?
Actually yes I am usually always helpful, and often abrasive and more so as well. Get over it because i dont care if i ruffle you petticoats and i also dont suffer fools.

Now, ignoring you piping extravaganza, (if you are happy with that then well and good) BUT, you have introduced a fundamental flaw to your setup.

Dont feel singled out here. Many inexperienced (and a lot of supposedly experienced) dudes make this same kind of mistake when attempting to reinvent the wheel with thier own take on fundamentals.
Thats what Im here for. To see and point out these kind of errors. You may learn plenty or achieve nothing, i dont particularly care, but plenty others may learn from yours (and many others) mistake and thats my aim. Help the majority who WANT to be helped.
Your just an example M8. You could be anybody so harden up will you.

Ok fella, do you actually fully understand the cpncept and operation of the pcv system on your engine? I know you have it fitted as its in your pix. If its been totally blocked off then read no further but im guessing its not.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation right? So vents the crankcase positively yer? That means, air does not get "blown out" Its SUCKED out right?

Now, have a think about the operation of the pcv valve and how it operates under VACUUM (which is the vast majority of the time) and answer me this ok?

How does the valve react to changes in vac AND to pressure either way?

Which way, does the air travel thru the valve during everyday driving (off boost).

Where does that air come from and where does it eventually go?

Over to you.

L8r
E
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

tassuperkart wrote:
Dinwoodie wrote: "The stupid little filter thingy" is a temporary fix till i get get an oil catch can. As for the air coming out of it, the computer thinks that that air has been used in the cylinders, blow by air is in no way reused whilst still in the engine so what does it matter where it vents?
Actually yes I am usually always helpful, and often abrasive and more so as well. Get over it because i dont care if i ruffle you petticoats and i also dont suffer fools.

Now, ignoring you piping extravaganza, (if you are happy with that then well and good) BUT, you have introduced a fundamental flaw to your setup.

Dont feel singled out here. Many inexperienced (and a lot of supposedly experienced) dudes make this same kind of mistake when attempting to reinvent the wheel with thier own take on fundamentals.
Thats what Im here for. To see and point out these kind of errors. You may learn plenty or achieve nothing, i dont particularly care, but plenty others may learn from yours (and many others) mistake and thats my aim. Help the majority who WANT to be helped.
Your just an example M8. You could be anybody so harden up will you.

Ok fella, do you actually fully understand the cpncept and operation of the pcv system on your engine? I know you have it fitted as its in your pix. If its been totally blocked off then read no further but im guessing its not.

Positive Crankcase Ventilation right? So vents the crankcase positively yer? That means, air does not get "blown out" Its SUCKED out right?

Now, have a think about the operation of the pcv valve and how it operates under VACUUM (which is the vast majority of the time) and answer me this ok?

How does the valve react to changes in vac AND to pressure either way?

Which way, does the air travel thru the valve during everyday driving (off boost).

Where does that air come from and where does it eventually go?

Over to you.

L8r
E
haha, Ok well i've been polite and tried not to be too stand-off ish. But bro "Get over it because i dont care if i ruffle you petticoats" You've been sniffing waaay too much fumes from your ET if you think in anyway i am offended or pissed off about anything that has been written in this thread

Did you happen to read ALL of my posts, or just sections and jump on the specific flaw in that section before i got to explain my reasoning behind it.
Ill write the quote in caps so you don't miss it "THE STUPID LITTLE FILTER THINGY IS A TEMPORARY FIX TILL I GET AN OIL CATCH CAN"

So this "fundamental flaw" if you had of read ALL of my posts, isn't an issue that is going to be an "issue" for too long. So your whole raging speal about PCV Valves, is irrelevant.

"You could be anybody so harden up will you" Can you see anywhere in this post or my previous posts, where i am not "Hard" I'm yet to know how one can be "Soft" through the internet, are you "Hard"?

From my understanding of the purpose of the AFM reloc is to eliminate the distance from the stock Air filter to the turbo. Increasing response, power and hopefully getting more cold air in. Am i right? is there another reason it's done? As for these 3 already stated, i have done exactly that, reduced the length and bends, increased response and am getting a nice dose of cold air.

At the end of the day it does its job, all the things it meant too and looks good, It seems every AFM Relo is ranked off of kimmon's "How To" guide. When even kimmo himself said thats not how his setup currently is and he wants to change it.

Mine does its job, i am extremely happy with it. So having said that, the only thing that seems to be twisting the knickers of you and other members is the fact that i have a temporary air breather on a hose and the fact i have a blow off valve that vents to atmosphere. Seems like you son are the one that needs to harden up since it looks like i have "ruffle your petticoats"

I can only see eRaging from people in this thread from now on. So i don't think i am going to write back on it. So feel free to get the last post in if it makes you feel special. Personally i get extreme enjoyment out of getting people worked up such as yourself but i don't really feel like doing it here, there is a lot of useful info here so i would rather not "shit where i eat" so to speak.

Thanks again for all of the help getting me to do it :D

Jordz
Blackdog

Post by Blackdog »

No-ones petticote is ruffled and I haven't seen any "eRaging" yet, I just don't think YOUR reading stuff properly. Stop worrying about your piece of pipe. It's not the issue.

The "fundamental flaw" is actually the fact that you have unmetered air entering your intake because of the "stupid little filter thingy".

Now, yes this would be fixed by a correctly installed oil catch can. However, you made it obvious that you didn't understand why this would fix it (look at what tas quoted). The problem is not with air coming out through the "stupid little filter thingy", but entering instead through the filter and then the Pcv valve whenever the intake manifold sees vacumme (vast majority of the time)

Thanks for explaining it a bit tas cause I for one didn't know or think about it that way and if it was left how it was I would have been stupider for reading this thread.

Cheers
Chris
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

All good Chris.
I didnt think Dinwoodie had any idea what he was actually doing and his curious rant and inability to actually answer some simple and relevant questions on the topic just confirmed that.
This is not the first time hes gotten on his high horse with me (and hopefully not the last!)

I did however give him the easy opportunity to do a little left side brain thinking which he was unable to (sadly) and he just let his creative right side brain off the leash and cloud his practical judgement which makes himself look rather ignorant!
Shame really cause hes actually quite switched on.

C'est la vie!

However, all is not lost and at least one member (you) got something positive from it which makes it all worthwhile!

Cheers
E
Dinwoodie

Post by Dinwoodie »

No YOU hang up first!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »