N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Ben Hewitson and his '85 Exa Turbo... (56k warning)

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

u mean sold to glen (renegade) i hope???
he seems to be omniscient round here... n very persistent to u poor sellers
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.
WACKO

Post by WACKO »

yip. to renegade. and he has a buyer for the second. i still cant get over how quick he snaped them up... does he just lurk on the forum waiting for things like this to come up? :lol:
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

yes he is our resident parts whore..but nobody sells him anything till u come along :)

hey ben when we gettin new pics i wanna see progress
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Not just a parts whore..........
Nah today was pure luck, me and Pulsar-Man are the lucky blokes.

So, Ben, Pix? How's the E15ETT coming along?
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

haven't got a whole lot into it actually. i'm still waiting on the intercooler install and some darn silicon joiners i email justjap about a few days ago.

i've payed for and had sent my mitsubishi brake calipers.. $55 each.!!! mwahahahah. better than the $147 everyone else was asking.. lol..

turbo setup is waiting on price for wastegates and steampipe, but i've done a little CAD on it to try and get spacing all sorted.. i may just start with the manifolds and wing it a little and then re-evaluate it once the primary runner is in place. not too sure yet.

goal is to get the exa on the road with the EGI manifold and cooler, then return the ET to stock and get rid of it. sick of that darn thing already.. rattles and half the stuff on it doesn't work. might be picking up an S3 N13 EXA as well so i'll have a litttle bit on lineage happening.. we shall see.
Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

ok i decided i had to charge the battery on my car.. so i started it.. i just taped the AFM onto the new manifold and turned the key.. it started and idled perfectly..!!! i rock.. anyway without the plumbing on the turbo it certainly makes some noise. and it actually pumps out a ton of air.. warm air too.. quite amazing.. as about 18degrees in the shed and the turbo was pumping out about 28-30degs i reckon.. anyway.. the little beast is heaps responsive.. and the induction noise with just the AFM is really really sweet. nice and throaty and its very responsive on the throttle untill you crack open the main butterfly (dual butterfly TB) and it roars like an FJ.. lol..

anyway just thought i'd post up a really quick video.. its not much good as the sound is kinda crap, but it gives an idea. sounds way better than the stock setup..

Uncie-G wrote: As for the drift steering wheel, if you use this combined with earthing kit at the same time the overall road feel and torque steer gets reduced.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

oh yeah baby.. new calipers rocked up today. they have this dust on them that comes off real easy, and they are massive. when i get the chance i'll write up an article and show them next to a set of N12 calipers and rotors. make sure you refresh this page if the image desn't load 'properly'

Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

mounted up the cooler last night and strapped the top of it down. going to build lower brackets tonight and then get Gareth to weld two small Ali brackets to the sides when he can. nice and secure...

started cutting and welding the pipes last night and am thinking of ways to make it all fit. i've decided on using 2" from turbo to intercooler and then 2.5" out of the cooler to the 81mm TB inlet. this is mainly due to an alternate Turbo setup i need to fit in with this system later on..

on another side not i'm picking up a pair of external wastegates (35 or 38mm, not sure yet) on saturday so i can start making a new manifold for the Turbo setup... mwahah..

heres a pic.

etking

Post by etking »

SWEEEEEEEEET this thing is going to go off its nutter :D :D :D

Keep us updated on the piping, and damn 81mm tb, thats HUGE lol
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

81mm inlet.. the butterfly is stock sized with a smaller butterfly above it.. single 81mm entry, dual butterfly EGI setup.. cant wait to drive it.. you can just see the smaller butterfly at the top. its about 15mm accros..

The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I've got my EGI manifold coming soon, is there any probs with getting the inlet piping over there?
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

it will all have to be custom made, but it shouldn't be a problem. you just have to find a piece of 2.25" silicon hose to go onto the TB...

i had a few issues with the plugs and stuff, but you should be able to see what i did to mine and which plugs go where. also i modified the throttle cable as its a fraction too short (like 5mm).. so the car revs its guts out at first. i flattened and lengthened the retaining clip and it works a treat. it started first time and idled way better than the stock setup.. lol
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Sweet as dude, thanx. I have to make pipes anyways, just wasn't sure how it'd all go room wise.
Thanx bud!
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
Gary vcET

Post by Gary vcET »

Hey Ben, when your Exa is going ,give it some thought on boring out the little butterfly on the top of the TB.
A little bigger wont hurt.

Iv done mine b4 i put my manifold on heres a pic.

The renegade,
Heres a few pics of when i took off my second manifold from a Exa and it may help you with the pipes and lines and shit like that.
As you can see in the pics the TB tubes are going to the carbon canister but iv blocked up all mine on the TB

Hope this helps with your manifold.

Gary ..
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

ok guys. its mod time.. Big thanks to Gareth for organising these baby's for me.. I'm going to start building up the turbo manifold soon using these sexy 38mm external wastegates...