N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Head Gaskets

General chat related to anything N12.
Sohcturbs

Head Gaskets

Post by Sohcturbs »

Hi guys,

Just wondered if I could get some contribution from people on what is the best way forward. I've got an overheating problem which is likely a blown HG. Either way the head has to come off.

Current set up is oringed block with copper orings and a multi layer steel HG.

Wondering what is best for high boost levels and sealing coolant or if what I've got is fine. I've got the ARP stud kit for when it goes back together.

Are there any recommendations on how to put back together? Seen others recommend putting Hylomar on the gasket before install.

Look forward to comments.

Cheers,

Dan
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Hi Dan,

I used an orginal nissan head gasket on my 80thou o-ringed block. Its worked well for many years - but Evan seems to think that I should get a custom one for replacement as the fire ring could be protruding into the cylinder too far creating hot spots and/or premature failure - but so far so good.

I plan to setup a custom copper one with larger bore diameter to suit - once I decide what to do with that motor.

On my standard engine in car now - I used an old permaseal gasket with that Copper head gasket spray from Repco. Its worked really well since October 2011.

My suggestion to you would be to use what you have - maybe opt for a copper version of what you have currently - just because the heat transfer of copper is better than metal - high boost you are going to be looking for all of the heat disapation you can get your hands on.

Darren.
Race it.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Ive been using a copper one for years, although its time for it to come off. Has more than likely corroded and is causing very low compression

When i replace i will be looking for an MLS gasket just like the ACL one i have in my RB30