N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

roof pod for the N12

General chat related to anything N12.
paul w

roof pod for the N12

Post by paul w »

Wanting to get one of those roof rods for the mighty N12, but wondering about the roof rack.
Been doing heaps of touring in the thing - spent 3 weeks blitzing around the Snowy mtns over xmas, and apart from a wheel bearing drama (long story - I'll type it out soon), it was awesome.
I'm about to return for another few weeks, and would like a pod to store stuff so i can leave the interior just for the bed.
The N12 does not have sturdy water channels in the roof, but a push-on plastic strip.
For strength, do I need to bolt one on the roof itself, near the pillars?
Anyone got any tips for the best roof rack design?
Cheers
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Those strips are steel, but it's pretty thin, and they're retained by extremely brittle (by now) plastic clips.

I really can't imagine a decent way to secure roof racks on an N12...
sgs

Post by sgs »

why dont you get a tow bar fitted and make up a small trailer with a large box on it
paul w

Post by paul w »

Thanks for the advice.
Yeah, thought about a trailer, but the things shit me, and I prefer having everything 'in-house', so to speak.
The good news is, my mate had a Nissan wagon, and he had the same problem (no rain guttering), so bought a set of racks that use a thin tag that hooks inside the doors - the tags fit under the roof of the door. When the door closes, the tags are thin enough to not affect the seal, but strong enough to use a pod.
The bad news for him was he cooked the motor, so the car is kaput, but he kept the racks and will give them to me.
chezza

roof rack

Post by chezza »

Hey if you don't mind i would like to see some pics of the rack.
Never seen a N12 with a rack before.
Keep cherry turbo's goin
paul w

Post by paul w »

No probs.
His car is at a mate's place in the country. I'll be driving him there next week.
Will snap some pics.
chezza

pod

Post by chezza »

nice 1
Keep cherry turbo's goin
paul w

Post by paul w »

The roof racks did not fit my Nissan...but I can get ones that do from Roof Rack City in Artarmon.

Like Kimmo, I was worried about the metal strips held on by the plastic clips, but the staff there said no problems:

"The plastic clips you refer to are actually metal and are very strong. In essence no worries. There is complete warranty on this load rating. "

http://www.roofrackworld.com.au/
Valentich

Post by Valentich »

I'm with sgs, get a tailor if your going to bum around for a few weeks.
It makes the whole trip much more more enjoyable.
Mine is very large, it has a table that becomes a bed, BBQ area and plenty of storage.
And It only weighs 400KG. And you can get smaller ones.

PS I do get what you mean about having everything together, but if you want to cruze, just leave it chained somewhere LOL.
There are always compromises, for me, I like the extra comfort.

What ever you do, enjoy.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

That is very cool. However, it would look so much cooler iffen it was dragged along from the other end!!!!!!!!!
All nice and aerodynamic like!!!

l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Trailer?
Nah....the car has just enough power to drag itself up a hill, without adding four more hundred kilos.
Also, trailers shit me. Noisy, bouncing bloody things on the back...
Then again, there are some glorious little trailer/caravans about...some French design I saw recently was just lovely.
A bit more power from the donk, than maybe...but the bed in the car is great, and about to get greater.
Just stop wherever, and whatever the weather, and stay inside a nice, warm cabin and crawl into bed, pre-heated by a lovely, warm female.
Perfect.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

paul w wrote:"The plastic clips you refer to are actually metal and are very strong. In essence no worries. There is complete warranty on this load rating. "
Uh, that's utter bullshit, dude. The guy's feeding you a line to make a sale, unless he thought you were referring to the clips on his racks.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and remove one of the strips... but be prepared to take a trip to the wreckers to replace half of the clips which you'll break.

I wouldn't mount anything bigger than a small aerial to those strips. Ask anyone who's had them off.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

Kimmo wrote:
paul w wrote:"The plastic clips you refer to are actually metal and are very strong. In essence no worries. There is complete warranty on this load rating. "
Uh, that's utter bullshit, dude. The guy's feeding you a line to make a sale, unless he thought you were referring to the clips on his racks.

If you don't believe me, go ahead and remove one of the strips... but be prepared to take a trip to the wreckers to replace half of the clips which you'll break.

I wouldn't mount anything bigger than a small aerial to those strips. Ask anyone who's had them off.
yep, the clips on my et were plastic. the strip is just a dressing really, no way it will take any load
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
paul w

Post by paul w »

I haven't got the racks.
No, I do not trust the strips, either; after years and years of working at heights, the anchor point MUST be unable to release. The thought of the pod coming off and slamming into the windscreen of the car behind is to awful to bear.
So, there are racks that screw directly into the roof, cost: $425.
Hmm. So, going to chat to my engineering friend about doing it myself; buy some second-hand aerodynamic ones, and bolt them into the roof, near the pillars. Not self-tapping screws either, I mean BOLTED in.