N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Urgent: Need A/C pics in ET engine bay - Anyone got any?

General chat related to anything N12.
CETFLY

Urgent: Need A/C pics in ET engine bay - Anyone got any?

Post by CETFLY »

Im after pics or links to pics showing how much room is left over, for the dump, when the A/C is left bolted to the engine.
Need to know what kind of dump I'll need when I put it on and if theres any room left for a 3" or not.
Its more a case of wondering if i need to go a very late model a/c pump from a different car which is far smaller than the stock ET one.

Need pics asap please!

Cheers
84ETPULSAR

Post by 84ETPULSAR »

ive got the A/C and got new dump made, i needed a custom made, it was 3 inch but it needed to curve backwards towards the block.
i had a GT2560 turbo so it was squeezy

CETFLY

Post by CETFLY »

mmmm You have the stock manifold.
I have a custom one which isnt in that location so a 3" dump which will actually flow would be hard- impossible- if I have an A/C unit in.
Ive opted to not install it now

Cheers for the pic though. I know Damo's dump pipe is a tighter 3" than yours, but I personally just cant see how it can flow well enough. The angle is too sharp, yet hes making 190kw @ wheels
Maybe I dont need to change my bendy dump pipe after all....

Heres mine:

In the book Maximum boost it states that with turbo setups the "dump and exhaust should be approx 10% larger than the turbine outlet diameter."
This is to maintain an exhaust gas velocity 250ft/sec. This should not be exceeded as it has detrimental effects.

My turbine wheel is just over 48mm. Lets call it 48.50mm.
48.50 x 10% = 53.35mm dump and exhaust.
I know that seems tiny - 2.10" dump and exhaust- but for FLOW it should be far greater and allow much more HP and top end, spool up, the works.
Would be interesting to try it actually.

In the book he has a chart with HP verses Pipe diameter needed.
Roughly 300HP (at engine) would be just under 2.25" dump and system.
Sure, as he states, the best system is none at all, but for flow, its more the figures Ive listed above than the 3" pipe we all commonly do (as I have too).

Food for thought.......

I'll post this on the tech section too
BADET-4

Post by BADET-4 »

That dump is fine. Plenty big too! How much did it cost to get that flange made?

Passhole (păs'hōl') The person who has been driving slowly for ages but speeds up the moment one tries to get ahead of him.
Sarchasm (sär'kăz'əm) The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the recipient who doesn't get it.
Ignoranus (ĭg'nə-rā'nəs) A person who is both stupid and an arsehole.
CETFLY

Post by CETFLY »

It may be "big" enough, but its the bends that concern me more than anything mate.
When you look horizontally at it, and see where the gases are heading, theyre heading right at a corner, then another corner, then the 90.

It came like this on one of the cars I bought years ago. I know it wasnt cheap when he got it all done, including the custom manifold. I paid another $220 to get the manifold ceramic coated (inside and out) and another $100 to get the dump coated the same way.
Did the same with the Turbo ex housing and also the compressor housing (another $140 there).

I'll have to do the manifold again after I make the changes in the piping to help it flow more.
I'll be coating pretty much all the engines internals everywhere. Thats around $1100 alone, not including the engine build. Im def going to haggle for the amount of work Im throwing them.....