N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

CA18DET Question

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
samwdg

CA18DET Question

Post by samwdg »

Ok i know theres a few guys who are familiar with the CA's on the forum and i need to work out a few things before i can do the conversion on my van.

My main question is...can i use the ca18det out of an s13 silvia and bolt an n13 exa or pulsar gearbox straight to if? If not, what needs to be changed to make it fit or whats my options? :?:
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

from what i've read on pulsar forums its very difficult and takes a lot of work to get the rwd engine to fit in the east-west position. I don't know if its even been done and thats into an n13.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

should be an easy fit i know fo a few n13 exa's with s13 engines. they bolt upto the gearbox. sr20det is a no go but ca should be eeeezy
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
dexi_styles

Re: CA18DET Question

Post by dexi_styles »

samwdg wrote:Ok i know theres a few guys who are familiar with the CA's on the forum and i need to work out a few things before i can do the conversion on my van.

My main question is...can i use the ca18det out of an s13 silvia and bolt an n13 exa or pulsar gearbox straight to if? If not, what needs to be changed to make it fit or whats my options? :?:
its better you take the FWD engine and put it in, with my brothers '76 Corolla with the 4AGE in it.. they used a FWD engine cos it had more power and its SO much easier to get either side of the engine then what ive seen with the slopped RWD enigne.

Trust me, i've worked on a celica with the tilted engine in it.... piece of shit it was...

Cheers,
Dex
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Damn im getting mixed opinions lol.

Well glenn said the engine in his old pulsar was out of a s13, but he thinks something was changed to make the gear box fit so im unsure..

I would just buy an engine and box out of an n13 exa, but the turbo'd ones are so hard to find!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

cos the n13 exa isnt turbo stock ;)

yes the s13 engine fits the n13 engine mounts and N13 box. dont bother going to pulsar.org they are useless wankers over there. goto nissanexa.com they are slightly less retarded and have actually done it many times :)
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Yup, mine was from a 180SX.
I think the tilt is from the engine mounts, not so much the engine.
Asked a few questions of a couple of ppl this arvo, and they seem to think the FWD box should bolt straight on.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

The Renegade wrote:Yup, mine was from a 180SX.
Asked a few questions of a couple of ppl this arvo, and they seem to think the FWD box should bolt straight on.
Be great if the n13 box does bolt straight on.

I found this on ebay, main reason why im asking http://cgi.ebay.com.au/91-Nissan-Silvia ... dZViewItem
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

yeah true! come to think about it... it could of also been because the 4AGE came as I think RWD 87KW and FWD 100KW... the boxes should just bolt on, i was just thinking about it in the shower and I realised it was the mounts that made it tilted... my bad. I've had a big day of ripping out the dash, fixing my heater unit, the heat/cold lever was broken and tidying up my dash and wires. I'm so not thinking straight tonight. :(
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

samwdg wrote:

I found this on ebay, main reason why im asking http://cgi.ebay.com.au/91-Nissan-Silvia ... dZViewItem
funny that hey. the guy selling that CA18DET is 1 of my mates. was in his S13 Silvia. backed by an auto and with 4 wheel steer! real party pooper setup. he bought the car roughly 6 months back. it was immaculate!! exterior, interior, engine bay were worthy of eating off!
the CA seemed healthy enough. he didn't boost it up and i don't think it has been? all standard except for cooler, exhaust and rims.
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Ash wrote:
samwdg wrote:

funny that hey. the guy selling that CA18DET is 1 of my mates. was in his S13 Silvia. backed by an auto and with 4 wheel steer! real party pooper setup. he bought the car roughly 6 months back. it was immaculate!! exterior, interior, engine bay were worthy of eating off!
the CA seemed healthy enough. he didn't boost it up and i don't think it has been? all standard except for cooler, exhaust and rims.
yeh i emailed him and he said it was in good condition and serviced it every 5000k's and so on.

But i need to confirm that the n13 box will bolt straight on before i go buying a RWD motor!
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

lol dude u're better off asking on nissanexa.com where people actually know about the engine.
ive been doing a lot of research because i'm going to be doing the conversion in my n12 exa..

you can use a rwd ca18det, its not hard.
you need to swap the throttlebody and the end cap around on the intake manifold, use exa bolt ons like ps pump and alternator and you will need to rotate the turbo - most ppl use a fwd manifold or make one up.
it is possible to use the rwd mani but its a lil harder to run piping.
the rwd ca18det is a lil more powerful due to the intake manifold being a better design.

get a n13 pulsar vlsd gearbox, clutch and flywheel. (make sure you get a VLSD!) its off the 18LE engine
ignore what ppl say, it bolts on to ca motors, the japanese exa used the exact same gearbox.
it also has the added benefit of being cable clutch which means you won't need to figure out how to retrofit a hydro clutch setup.

get the s13 loom and ecu if you are going to be running it standard
there isnt any need to upgrade the power, the standard motor will be at least 3 times the power you currently have. any more and you will suffer traction issues and if you drive hard you will break boxes.

get the n13 pulsar driveshafts and hubs too
gtir, sss pulsar or nx coupe brakes are a great upgrade over the standard rotors and calipers and they bolt up to the n13 hubs

REMEMBER:::::
the n13 hubs are 4x100
your rears will be 4x114.5

MAKE SURE YOU GET MULTI-FIT RIMS
that way you can use the same rims front and back :) :)

but yeh any other q's u have, u should do a forum search on nissanexa.com
a lot of people have dropped ca18det's in n13 exas, and a lot of them have been s13

s13 engine are more common, cheaper and usually lower mileage.
try and find one from a wrecked auto car with low mileage and make sure the boost limiter is intact, thats a good way to find a clean engine :)
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Android 360 wrote:lol dude u're better off asking on nissanexa.com where people actually know about the engine.
ive been doing a lot of research because i'm going to be doing the conversion in my n12 exa..

you can use a rwd ca18det, its not hard.
you need to swap the throttlebody and the end cap around on the intake manifold, use exa bolt ons like ps pump and alternator and you will need to rotate the turbo - most ppl use a fwd manifold or make one up.
it is possible to use the rwd mani but its a lil harder to run piping.
the rwd ca18det is a lil more powerful due to the intake manifold being a better design.

get a n13 pulsar vlsd gearbox, clutch and flywheel. (make sure you get a VLSD!) its off the 18LE engine
ignore what ppl say, it bolts on to ca motors, the japanese exa used the exact same gearbox.
it also has the added benefit of being cable clutch which means you won't need to figure out how to retrofit a hydro clutch setup.

get the s13 loom and ecu if you are going to be running it standard
there isnt any need to upgrade the power, the standard motor will be at least 3 times the power you currently have. any more and you will suffer traction issues and if you drive hard you will break boxes.

get the n13 pulsar driveshafts and hubs too
gtir, sss pulsar or nx coupe brakes are a great upgrade over the standard rotors and calipers and they bolt up to the n13 hubs

REMEMBER:::::
the n13 hubs are 4x100
your rears will be 4x114.5

MAKE SURE YOU GET MULTI-FIT RIMS
that way you can use the same rims front and back :) :)

but yeh any other q's u have, u should do a forum search on nissanexa.com
a lot of people have dropped ca18det's in n13 exas, and a lot of them have been s13

s13 engine are more common, cheaper and usually lower mileage.
try and find one from a wrecked auto car with low mileage and make sure the boost limiter is intact, thats a good way to find a clean engine :)
Thanks for the info mate, been a big help and yeh i had a browse on nissanexa forums already.

If the VLSD box off an n13 will bolt straight up to the CA out of an s13 things should be pretty easy from there, just need to make sure i get the brakes system setup properly, cause the engineer said i need to have exa brakes system, so im gunna need to find what will fit and what wont.

Anyway good luck with ur conversion too.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

thanks m8 :)
try and get the rear brakes off an ET - they are disc - exas usually have drum unless they are japanese :P dont forget to get the handbrake cable and brake lines too.... its easier if ya just buy the rear trailing arms with everything attached :P you may need to retro fit it a bit with your leaf spring rear end tho..

the GTi-R brakes for the front are like twice the size of exa brakes LOL
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Android 360 wrote:thanks m8 :)
try and get the rear brakes off an ET - they are disc - exas usually have drum unless they are japanese :P dont forget to get the handbrake cable and brake lines too.... its easier if ya just buy the rear trailing arms with everything attached :P you may need to retro fit it a bit with your leaf spring rear end tho..

the GTi-R brakes for the front are like twice the size of exa brakes LOL
I could of got rear ET brakes of glenn yesty but i think its abit late now lol, probably already gone to scrap. And i got some n13 struts, hubs and disk for the front, but the disks are smaller then the exa ones so il have to get exa disk and also i compared the ball joint taper on the n13 stub axel to the n12 and its different! any ideas?