General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Shifter Shaft Seal

Post by tassuperkart »

Ok men
Ive been doing a N13 gearset swap.

I think it was Paul Smith had trouble with a leaking shifter shaft seal and was under the impression he'd have to dismantle the box to fix it.

Nup!

It can be done externally and should be able to be done in short time.

The shifter attachment thingo at the back of the box is only held on with a roll pin.

If you pull that rubber boot forward towards the gearbox, you can see the roll pin/s.

There are actually 2 roll pins, one inside the other. They are not tight.
Its a matter of drifting out the smaller inner pin with the right sized pin punch and then drifting out the larger pin and the shifter connector will come straight off. Its not on a spline or a taper.

You then just pull the rubber boot out and then carefully lever the seal out. Its not tight.
Clean up the shaft and seal housing and carefully check the hole in the shaft for burrs which will cut your new seal to death when you slide it over the shaft end.
For fucks sake, deburr the holes and gently stone the area smooth.
Lightly grease up the shaft and the seal, slide it along the shaft and press it home into its housing.

NOTE, the seal has a flange which will NOT press fully against the shifter housing leaving a gap. This flange is designed to locate the rubber boot so dont try and bash the seal in to bottom that flange against the housing or you will fuck it.

Now im not too sure how easy this is in the car as i cant be arsed putting the car up on ramps to actually find out but you may find you have to drop the rear of the box downward a bit to get a swing at the pins with a small hammer.
The pins are located horizontally rather than vertically, which is an arse but shit happens.

If you have to ask whats involved with rocking the engine back and dropping the back of the box down then this job is too hard for you K?
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Paul Smith

Post by Paul Smith »

Thanks for that Evan. I'll check it out. Well...I'll add it to my list.
Mods
T28 @ 18 PSI, Jap Inlet Manifold, VL TB, MSD Ignition, Supra Cooler, 3" Dump and 3" Exhaust, Coolingmist Water Injection, AMG Mags, Koni Adjustables, Whiteline Rear Swaybar, CMS Brake Rotors, Stage 2 Cam, 5th Injector