N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Front Mount Intercooler

General chat related to anything N12.
jnrgt

Front Mount Intercooler

Post by jnrgt »

Hey guys. I got a 84 ET pulsar with the low mount exhaust manifold.
I just bought a FMIC off ebay but on closer inspection i found that infront of the turbo there is bugger all clearance to fit thermos onto the turbo side of the radiator so i could piss the old fans off that sit on the front, and mount the cooler. Was thinking maybe a high mount manifold off the ULP version may give some more clearance for fans? The cooler is 550X180X65 so its not that big. Anyone got any suggestions to mount this badboy up.

Cheers Chris
Boost it Baby YEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!
djvass

Post by djvass »

hey m8,

if the car is running standard thermos they will need to be replaced with 10inch thermos from super shit or a place like that as they dont stick out like the standard ones do then that should give u plenty of room to mount it. you may have to cut the back of the grill a little but that will be up to you when u go to mount it.
Hope this helps.
SOLD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY ET BUT WILL STILL BE ON HERE WATCHING AND WAITING FOR THAT RIGHT ET AGAIN.
{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

what dave said...use the slim thermos...iv got 2 for sale and in melb if u wanna pm me and come by and pick them up..
cheers moe
jnrgt

Post by jnrgt »

Ohh ok. So do those thin thermo's stay on the grill side of the radiator? or do i mount them turbo side? Cos i would thought that if on the grill side would get in the way of the cooler. Would prefer an option with fans on the turbo side of the radiator.

Cheers Chris
Boost it Baby YEEEEEEEEEEEAH!!!
Cherry Boy

Post by Cherry Boy »

I have stuck my 11" fans on the turbo side. Just a reminder... you have to make sure that you get fans that suck the air in if you want to stick them on the turbo side. If you get 2 11" you will find that the completly cover the radiator fins from top to bottom and left to right.

Hope this helps. :wink:
{TUBZ}

Post by {TUBZ} »

either side chris
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

Cherry Boy wrote:Just a reminder... you have to make sure that you get fans that suck the air in if you want to stick them on the turbo side.
actually if you switch the wires, the fan will turn the opposite way :wink:
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
djvass

Post by djvass »

yeah excatly what Benny Said^^^^^
SOLD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY ET BUT WILL STILL BE ON HERE WATCHING AND WAITING FOR THAT RIGHT ET AGAIN.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

However ensure that you have a fan with removeable and reversible fanblades.

Otherwise the fan will be very innefficient as the blades are designed to rotate and pull air thru in one direction only.

Most better aftermarket fans allow you to remove the fanblades and reverse them on the motor shaft to allow for pull and push-thru applications.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

uh, sorry fellas but i am in the same predicament, i am looking to do the same, but my low mount manifold has a T25G strapped to it, and there really is bugger all room there for any thermo at all, the pipe that goes over the rocker cover into the throttle body is literally just touching the radiator where it connects to the turbo. (i know thats not a good idea as the engine movement could cause some problems)

how the f$#k you people fit T28's in there is beyond me.

when i decide to whack the hybrid onto my ET i will have a jet speed front bar ready and waiting to go on aswell. its the only way i can imagine there being enuf room. brackets arnt a problem as my old man is a boiler maker/crazy ass welder.

so my nicely painted 2 stage pearl metallic blue front skirt will be made redundant. (sucks cos that added at least 20-30 extra kilowatts.)
ET coming back from the dead.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

if ur cross over pipe(that goes into ur tb) is touching the radiator the turbo isnt rotated enough
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

ah, could also be why the crossover pipe doesn't quite fit all the way into the throttle body silicon hosing. how the hell do you go about rotating a turbo. i can see its a big job right now.

but even with the turbo rotated, theres still only a bees dick between the radiator and the turbo. anyway, i happen to be one of the few on this site that like the look of the jetspeed front bar, tho i havent owned one yet, or worked on one.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

hmm T25g....... if it has bolts on teh rer side of the compressor housing PISS easy just loosen them and rotate. if it doesnt then its a big Circlip, which can be a pain in the ass but again just pop it out and rotate(might need a tap with a mallett to get it moving)
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com
Rohan 84ET

Post by Rohan 84ET »

cheers mate, i think it has the bolts. might give it a whack.

SAVE ME JEBAS!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

and remember im talkin bout the compressor housing not exhaust. also make sure the core is rotated so the oil drain faces directly down :) cos sometimes with older turbos the core will rotate with the compressor housing which is not what you want
Low Slow and Sarcastic

www.TasSportImages.com