N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

EXA wont start....

General chat related to anything N12.
boosted-ET

EXA wont start....

Post by boosted-ET »

Hi,

I just got a 84 EXA, with the knowledge that it doesn't work.

So im trying to get it to start at least.... But all it does is kick over... There is spark, although my dad said its weak as the colour is redish? I have done the diagnostics on the ecu, and it just says that the - Temp Sensor, Idle Control and A/C isn't working.

The Idle Control works according to the test that the book says to do.

The car has got the AFM movement with the log as well...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what mite be wrong?

Cheers

Andrew
djvass

Post by djvass »

So she crangs but wont kick over.

Make sure that your fuel pump is working and that there is fuel getting to the engine.

Your spark is weak see if you can get a hold of another coil pack and change it over.

Try these to things and see how you go. I guess have a look at the plugs and make sure that they arnt rearly black or even better still just change them and the spark plug leads as well.

Let me no how you go, i love the trial and error part.

David
SOLD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY ET BUT WILL STILL BE ON HERE WATCHING AND WAITING FOR THAT RIGHT ET AGAIN.
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

Yeah, will do...

Im pretty sure there is fuel going to the engine as its coming out the exhaust.. As in you can smell it...

The fuel will be droped any way, as its a bit old... so that could be the problem aswel...

And the plugs are a bit black... so i will change them and will any coil do?

Thanks
djvass

Post by djvass »

Yeah as long as it is in Good working order you dont want to waste time and money if it not working. Try and get one off a running car just to ry it.

Were u located?
You in Melbourne?

David
SOLD EVERYTHING TO DO WITH MY ET BUT WILL STILL BE ON HERE WATCHING AND WAITING FOR THAT RIGHT ET AGAIN.
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

I will head to supercheap 2moro and grab one...

I live in Darwin...
djvass

Post by djvass »

ok i will just communicate via this forum.:)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Iffen your going to unload on a new coil then get the correct one.

A Bosch MEC or HEC series coil.

Othewise grab just about anything second hand just to try.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
EXA_LENT

Re: EXA wont start....

Post by EXA_LENT »

boosted-ET wrote:Hi,

I just got a 84 EXA, with the knowledge that it doesn't work.

So im trying to get it to start at least.... But all it does is kick over... There is spark, although my dad said its weak as the colour is redish? I have done the diagnostics on the ecu, and it just says that the - Temp Sensor, Idle Control and A/C isn't working.

The Idle Control works according to the test that the book says to do.

The car has got the AFM movement with the log as well...

Does anyone have any suggestions on what mite be wrong? TRY LOOKING AT THE TEMP SENSOR. TAKE IT OUT CLEAN IT UP (TERMINALS ETC) PUT IT BACK IN AND SEE IF YOU STILL GET THAT CODE. (HOPEFULLY NOT ) ONCE YOU GET THAT SORTED OUT , FOR THE SAKE OF THE EXERCISE UNPLUG THE IDLE SWITCH AND SEE HOW YOU GO. IF IT WORKS THEN PLUG THE IDLE SWITCH BACK IN AND TRY IT AGAIN. BOTH OF THESE THINGS TELL ECU HOW MUCH FUEL TO GIVE MOTOR AT START UP. GET THEM SORTED OUT BEFORE SPENDING TOO MUCH CASH.

Cheers

Andrew
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

Wouldnt the engine atleast try and start tho... like studder or something? all its doing now is kicking over... There is fuel been put in to the engine and there is spark, but maybe the spark isnt strong enuff to ignite the fuel?

but i will have a look at the temp sensor... where is the temp sensor?

the idle switch is working according tot he test the book says to do, to see if its working...

but there is no harm in taking the switch off.

and cash really isnt a problem, but with everything you dont wana spend to much!

Cheers Guys!

Andrew
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

ok

we had a look at the car in more detail.... and there wasn't fuel going to the engine....

so we took the fuel pump out and its corroded as hell!

now two options:

1. new fuel pump, either external? or internal

2. new/reconed standard pump

now wot would you guys go with? if standard pump chosen, where would i get one?

Cheers

Andrew
djvass

Post by djvass »

Knew it was a fuel problem.

Just use a vl fuel pump they work well and you can grab one from most wreckers.

David
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

OK.

with the VL pump, does it go into the stanard bracket? Or do you have to make a different one?

Thanks guys

Andrrew
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

I got the car started. But it doesnt wana run for very long?

Also there is a knocking noise coming from the engine somewhere... Im hoping its the water pump, as i was told it was rooted...
EXAsperate

Post by EXAsperate »

Without hijacking your thread - did the VL fuel pump just fit or was there a bit of stuffing around?

Water pump will make a metallic knocking sound.....Change it! It is cheap and good insurance on the cooling system.

let us know how you go. Good luck

(MY 100th Post!)
EXAsperate - to wind up, infuriate, drive mad, frustrate, annoy and drive around the bend.
boosted-ET

Post by boosted-ET »

I didnt end up getting a VL pump. i got a goss 255l/ph pump.. brand new for $50. gotta love ur mates at indys

yeah im going to try and find a new/2nd hand pump to replace it with. and if the sound is still there well im F*#ked. piston hitting of something bad