N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

new road laws coming in. there not taking my turbo car! QLD

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
angel

new road laws coming in. there not taking my turbo car! QLD

Post by angel »

hi all

maybe this is old news, but i just saw on the the tv that they will be bringing in new road laws. P plates and longing hours for L platers etc etc.

One law that caught my attention was the NO V8 or TURBO'd cars for drivers under 25yrs of age. Im currently 21 and im not giving up my turbo car, well if i can help it.

what do other people think, and how long until such laws will take place. would i be exempt from this turbo law as i already had a turbo car when they came into place. I know they always talk about bringing in new road laws but this time they sound serious.

by the way, this is in QLD

angel
kixer

Post by kixer »

That would suck man... luckily I live in the NT - the best driving state in Australia :D

No shitty rules about what I can drive, no points system for your license - and I live in Alice Springs so there are NO speedcameras and there are unrestricted speed zones about 10km out either side of the town :P

I guess the answer is to move here... (joke)
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

Vic has had the No V8 rule for a while, as well as the 125kw per tonne rule. i dunno whats going on lately with the no turbo/supercharger rule and there is a list of cars that you are not allowed to drive on the vicroads website, although the only nissans listed i think was GTR and 350z.

also got new hoon laws where they can confiscate your car :roll:
angel

Post by angel »

shanec86 wrote:Vic has had the No V8 rule for a while, as well as the 125kw per tonne rule. i dunno whats going on lately with the no turbo/supercharger rule and there is a list of cars that you are not allowed to drive on the vicroads website, although the only nissans listed i think was GTR and 350z.

also got new hoon laws where they can confiscate your car :roll:
yeh we have those anti hoon laws too.

I was talking to a mate and he seems to think it will only effect the drivers who dont already have there L's or P's so if you already have your liscence and a turbo car then your safe. well i hope....
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

as far as i'm concerned you can kill your-self or others in a worked ET just as easily as you can in a rusty shitbox VK commodore..

How many times do you see on the news.. "Tenagers killed in High Powered Car Accident" and how many times do you find that the "high powered" car that was involved was a stock holden or ford...? A stock Commodore has way more power than a mildly worked E15ET.. jez.. a stock magner has more power..

I know for a fact that friends with little 1100cc Corolla's have driven faster and more crazily than my other friends with much more powerfull cars..

Cars dont kill people.. idiots behind the wheels do.. simple as that.. Driver Education is the answer.. taking a car away is not.. I'm happy for the government to limit HP if they think it will help.. but it wont.. not while any Joe Schmoe can do 160km/h in his grandma's deisel gemini.. it might take a little longer to get it up there, but it is just as lethal..
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

Just wot i was thinking... Any car can go fast enough to kill you. All they are really doing is controlling your acceleration.

How many people do you know have died due to excessive acceleration?! haha

I just hope NZ doesnt become that strict... it seems like the pig's over there want to take all the fun out of driving :(
angel

Post by angel »

Ben Hewitson wrote:as far as i'm concerned you can kill your-self or others in a worked ET just as easily as you can in a rusty shitbox VK commodore..

How many times do you see on the news.. "Tenagers killed in High Powered Car Accident" and how many times do you find that the "high powered" car that was involved was a stock holden or ford...? A stock Commodore has way more power than a mildly worked E15ET.. jez.. a stock magner has more power..

I know for a fact that friends with little 1100cc Corolla's have driven faster and more crazily than my other friends with much more powerfull cars..

Cars dont kill people.. idiots behind the wheels do.. simple as that.. Driver Education is the answer.. taking a car away is not.. I'm happy for the government to limit HP if they think it will help.. but it wont.. not while any Joe Schmoe can do 160km/h in his grandma's deisel gemini.. it might take a little longer to get it up there, but it is just as lethal..
you said it ben, my thoughts exactly. I know of many people with "performance cars" all the people i know who have been in a car crash, have been driving "regular cars" im sure accident statisics would reflect this as well.
But unfortunately there are dickheads out there that make the rest of us look extremely bad. I drive my car like a grandma 90% of time giving it a squeeze only every now and then. I enjoy my hobby and hate seeing idiots give it a bad name. I have been fortunate so far not to be pulled over and defected, but then again i dont go lapping on saturday and thursday nights.

cheers

angel
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

well said ben.

a saying i love to use is

speeding dosent kill, speed does.

its not the amount of powe u have its how much u have between your ears. yer shore u can be jsut driving normaly and some tool pull infront of you, but when it comes to high powered cares and accos its tools in mummy and daddys car that have had no experience. i have done a driver training course and i was a changed person when i left there it tought me a world of knowledge.
kixer

Post by kixer »

Speed doesn't kill - speed has never killed anyone. It's when you're suddenly stationary that you're in trouble :P
ETTRBO

Post by ETTRBO »

my thought is - p platers are only getting a bad name due to our taste.. we are a new generation that loves performance and looks, and because there is so many of us that like this there is more of these " performance " cars, they never said anything 7-10yrs ago when "joe" could only afford a gemini and crashed or what not, its only because we have japaness imports that we are picked on, there is only more p platers hurt because we drive more than people did back 10yrs ago so we are on the road more than them so thats why we have a higher number no other reason we all are dickheads behind the wheel its all revenue money making bullshit and it makes me so mad even if i wasnt a p plater id still stick up for them fair is fair

sorry just my 2c well 10c in this case
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

First of all --> KIXER I'm very friggin' jealous.

Angel --> They brought that law in down here in NSW a few years ago, but if you already owned a turbo'd car you were cool. Just as long as you didn't lose your licence.
Tha dumbest part is, if you get your 'L's you can't own a Suzuki Carry Turbo (900cc 2 stroke turbo with about 10kw's) but you can own a new Commodore with a 190kW V6, or if you've got a rich mummy and daddy, a 260kW V8 version.

Stooopid Government!
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

EXACTLY my thoughts glenn.. do they seriously mean that you cant drive dads lancruiser down the street??
"Sorry son this cars a little bit turbo for you to handle... grumble grumble..."
hahaha I think the restricted car list was reasonable, and I think the 125kw/ton was reasonable (even though I blew the shit out of it :P) But a blanket ban on V8s and all turbos??? My nan can run faster than a 253 hahaha.

Sam
angel

Post by angel »

wassup393 wrote:EXACTLY my thoughts glenn.. do they seriously mean that you cant drive dads lancruiser down the street??
"Sorry son this cars a little bit turbo for you to handle... grumble grumble..."
hahaha I think the restricted car list was reasonable, and I think the 125kw/ton was reasonable (even though I blew the shit out of it :P) But a blanket ban on V8s and all turbos??? My nan can run faster than a 253 hahaha.

Sam
yeh i think some sort of restriction for P platers or even just first year P platers is warrented.

300kw @ wheels+ liscence for 2 weeks + testosterone = trouble.

But yes not a totally ban, and deffinatly not if your on your opens and under 25.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

What if you drive a Cadilac..? you could have like 400hp and still sit under the hp/weight thing... lol. you could float around corners at warp factor 9 and not disturb your fluffy dice...
daz

Post by daz »

Speed doesn't kill bad drivers do...

I'm not 25, but if you've got an open liscence I don't see how you can be descriminated against... Maybe if they change the rules it will apply to all new drivers but I don't see how you can apply it to existing drivers