N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

CA18DET Question

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Android 360 wrote: glenn.
surely with bigger brakes on the front and disks on the rear it would be even again.

the only reason the proportioning valve was played with was because the disks on the back were installed with standard fronts.
No, what I meant was the prop valve in the Exa. It's different coz of the rear drums. And different booster to the ET.
The Pulsar I had was a GXE, so it had the some configuration as the Eca - Disk front, drum rear.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

yeh wat i meant was:
from factory its set up for better brakes in the front

when improving only the brakes in the rear you mess up the balance and the rears lock too early

if you improve the front at the same time it should still be even because it still has better brakes at the front

therefore you shouldnt really need to play with the prop.
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

This is the rear drum setup on my dads van, which is same as mine.

And this is ball joint setup on the front, you can change the balljoint over, the n13 one is pressed onto the control arm and the control arm off the n13 wont bolt onto the n12's. And the prob is the ball joint taper on the n13 hub is different and i think the hole is bigger too.

Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

You need to look at the back of the drum to see if the ET Caliper mount can be interchanged like it is for the N12s.

If you change the piston areas on the front of you car you should consider what it will do to brake balance. Also the heavier engines will shift the weight forward and alter the braking. Adjustable bias valves are not road legal in most Aussie states.

C
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

Callumgw wrote:You need to look at the back of the drum to see if the ET Caliper mount can be interchanged like it is for the N12s.
This is a pic of the ET rear control arm, the part i have circled i think is the same as the van, but is on the end of the axel and no control arm is required.
But i think the spline mite be shorter on the van, i need a measure or the ET one to confirm.

The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Android 360 wrote:yeh wat i meant was:
from factory its set up for better brakes in the front

when improving only the brakes in the rear you mess up the balance and the rears lock too early

if you improve the front at the same time it should still be even because it still has better brakes at the front

therefore you shouldnt really need to play with the prop.
Ahhhh I see what you're getting at now.
You'd have to try to match the upgrades to mimick the difference that the stocko setup had.
Which makes me wonder how the rears on the Pulsar acted with the big disks on the front. Seemed to work really well, and when you tromped the stop pedal the rears would begin to lock up.
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

locking the rears is BAD

Cars should be set up to lock the front first.....thats why when you put a larger pistion in the front the "gearing" from the pedal changes. This upsets the balance of front to rear braking, causing the back to lock first and the car to become unstable and spin.......

upgrading just the fronts without due consideration of the rears is BAD.

Similar things happen if you increase the front mass (larger engine), reduce the rear mass (strip out the back), run a difference tyre stagger (large fronts smaller rears) . . . and so on

C
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Callumgw wrote:locking the rears is BAD
Yeah, just me not explaining myself clearly again, what I meant was the fronts would be locked, and and the rears just starting to lock up.
Callumgw wrote:upgrading just the fronts without due consideration of the rears is BAD.
Now see that's what I thought. Makes me wonder if the prop valve in the green machine had been tampered with. Although maybe the extra weight of the engine over the front axles offset the extra braking power.
--------------------

The beast:
=====================
=====================
digginganddirt

Post by digginganddirt »

this is a problem i have with the et i took the car to decca training in sheperton vic whre they have a sprinty track down the straigh i was pulling 135 kms with straigh after turned in to a 90 degree left hander at about 60 kms as the car has been total strip bare front seat and dash it locker the rears when i wouldd stand on the brakes
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

The Renegade wrote: Now see that's what I thought. Makes me wonder if the prop valve in the green machine had been tampered with. Although maybe the extra weight of the engine over the front axles offset the extra braking power.
The increase piston size will decrease the brake force at the caliper from the same the pedal force. The increased pad area will make it more effective and the higher weight will delay lock up. Maybe, more by luck the balance worked out OK without changing the prop valve, maybe.
digginganddirt wrote:this is a problem i have with the et i took the car to decca training in sheperton vic whre they have a sprinty track down the straigh i was pulling 135 kms with straigh after turned in to a 90 degree left hander at about 60 kms as the car has been total strip bare front seat and dash it locker the rears when i wouldd stand on the brakes
Same for me at the end of the back straight at sandown.....
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

brake in a straight line :P
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

where's the fun in that? :D
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

callum, so you're also saying, if you ugrade to et rears, either play with the balance, or upgrade the fronts too... correct?
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
DillonP

Post by DillonP »

Re-read all this, will be interesting to see what Sam finds with the front lower ball joint issue ....

I'd rather spend my time rebuilding a CA instead of an E15, haven't looked inside the bores or head or water passages of my E15ET for 7 years so they're probably corroded anyway.

Complete CA's are plentiful on places like
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/inde ... howforum=8

Pistons and gasket kits easily and cheaply obtained from USA
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... category0=

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... p=1&fsoo=1
samwdg

Post by samwdg »

DillonP wrote:Re-read all this, will be interesting to see what Sam finds with the front lower ball joint issue ....

I'd rather spend my time rebuilding a CA instead of an E15, haven't looked inside the bores or head or water passages of my E15ET for 7 years so they're probably corroded anyway.

Complete CA's are plentiful on places like
http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/inde ... howforum=8

Pistons and gasket kits easily and cheaply obtained from USA
http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... category0=

http://search.ebay.com.au/search/search ... 1&dfsp=1&f
rom=R40&satitle=ca18det+gasket&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=4122&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ga10244=10425&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1
Yeah im still unsure bout the ball joint issue, the guy that owns glenns old beast was gunna get me some pics of the setup on it, but im still waiting...lol

And yes the s13 CA's are common on there, but aint cheap and makes it worse when freight costs and arm and a leg to get to my area :(

Anyway il keep my eyes peeled and give updates on any info that may help you or any of the other guys that might wanna do a CA conversion.