N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

locked diff

General chat related to anything N12.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Ah. Almost said Detroit locker, but didn't realise there was a difference.

That makes a bit more sense
Timmzy

Diff

Post by Timmzy »

Thanks e

I never realized that a spooled diff was just a locked diff. And those Detroit lockers sound pretty violent. Imagine that locking up half way through a corner! They sound like they would be unpredictable to race with

Darren
Race it.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

No no not at all.
Not that long ago they were the ONLY thing to have and are still used today in many circuit cars!
The locking mechanism is basically a sprag clutch kinda thing.
As the power is applied the sprags lock up completely, there is no % of slip like an lsd.
However, they dont just go "bang" as such. As the outer wheel overruns the inner wheel, the sprag unloads the axle to allow differentialing.

They make an unusual grinding/chattering noise when they are asked to to part power tight turns as the sprags alternately catch and release.

Real mans clobber!

Next best thing to these is a Lockrite "Lokka" locker center but rather noisy.
Very clever, simple and effective diff arrangement and Aussie designed and built.
Around 500 bucks for a kit but the list of diffs suitable is just not long enough to include an N12.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

lol someone find a 2 way for an ET

Campbell
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ahhhhhhhh no, someone make someting fit...then charge a shiteload!!!!!!
Phantom grip is just fine.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Here's a vid showing how a Detroit locker works
skez

Post by skez »

i have had a detroit locker in my old xd with 9inch worked well could turn like an open diff but when u put your foot down intstantly locks and ive got lock rights front and back in my suzuki sierra 4x4 work good but are noisy sounds like a ratchet when doing u turns and when the hubs are in and front locks in u got no chance of steering on the road its ridiculous can only turn in dirt i would hate to see a fwd car with a full locked diff on the road i would have thought it would nearly be undrivable or atleast snap a driveshaft
15exa
Administrator
Administrator

Post by 15exa »

skez wrote:i have had a detroit locker in my old xd with 9inch worked well could turn like an open diff but when u put your foot down intstantly locks and ive got lock rights front and back in my suzuki sierra 4x4 work good but are noisy sounds like a ratchet when doing u turns and when the hubs are in and front locks in u got no chance of steering on the road its ridiculous can only turn in dirt i would hate to see a fwd car with a full locked diff on the road i would have thought it would nearly be undrivable or atleast snap a driveshaft
jeez that was a long sentence, lol.

i been driving with mine in for a little while now, you get used to it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

15exa wrote:
skez wrote:i have had a detroit locker in my old xd with 9inch worked well could turn like an open diff but when u put your foot down intstantly locks and ive got lock rights front and back in my suzuki sierra 4x4 work good but are noisy sounds like a ratchet when doing u turns and when the hubs are in and front locks in u got no chance of steering on the road its ridiculous can only turn in dirt i would hate to see a fwd car with a full locked diff on the road i would have thought it would nearly be undrivable or atleast snap a driveshaft
jeez that was a long sentence, lol.

i been driving with mine in for a little while now, you get used to it.
and I thought GFC was about finance....now I realise it was about "fullstops"....

:lol: