N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Reducing flutter.

General chat related to anything N12.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Kimmo wrote:
TimmyET wrote:Yeah I was thinking of that whole adjustable blow off valve deal.
Try this.
Cheap, and you can adjust the sensitivity to how fast the throttle shuts and how long the solenoid stays open.
You just need to buy the right type... : /
Hehehe, my ECU controls both BOV and wastegate in closed loop mode.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

come on mate, flutter is mad. I wish my car did it lol.
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
ETONE

Post by ETONE »

tassuperkart wrote:
baz wrote:plumb back is shit, Just leave the flutter, Bovs are crap also
Is that so??

Then why would factories spend millions of dollars developing plumb back systems. If they were so shit they would not fit them at all.

So, ur technical perspective/rationale on this "shit/crap" claim?

L8tr
E
Its cause Baz is FULLY SICK BRO

hey hey hey why would Baz make a good doctor???

Cause he's got the DOSE for all them SICK CUNTS

Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Campbell
Last edited by ETONE on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Remember, nothings ever BOLT ON.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Awwww haw haw haw Cam ur an evil Mo-fo!!!!!!!! Seriously evil!
L8tr
E
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:
baz wrote:plumb back is shit, Just leave the flutter, Bovs are crap also
Is that so??

Then why would factories spend millions of dollars developing plumb back systems. If they were so shit they would not fit them at all.

So, ur technical perspective/rationale on this "shit/crap" claim?

L8tr
E
I'm lucky that what I belive to be technicly true, also follows my audible preference. BOV's ARE shit, plumb backs are sensible and flutter FTW! :D

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Pff... flutter is wank.
My VG flutter mercilessly. I hate it.

Now, just a minute.

"BOV's are shit".
"Plumb backs are sensible".............

On that rationale the plumb back is sensible shit. Why is the VTA bov just shit? Surely its shit sensible???

Now you better explain this since a "plumback" is just an everyday bov that vents to turbo inlet rather than atmosphere.

Exactly the same operation, exactly the same result. Cept one type hisses and the other type is usually quiet...hmmmmmm?

L8tr
E

L8tr
E
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

ETONE wrote:hey hey hey why would Baz make a good doctor???

Cause he's got the DOSE for all them SICK CUNTS
ROFLMAO! funny shit! :lol:
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I often PMSL at the directions threads sometimes take!!!!!
L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

flutter is a natural byproduct of having a turbo setup. Embrace it, it is part of your car's personality and identity.

atmospheric venting bov is unnatural and 99% of the time installed just for the noise, therefore it is wank. Fine on race cars, but street cars? yeah no.

plumb back is fine on cars that came out with a plumb back bov, n12s don't need a bov at all, so don't waste your money.

"IMHO"
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Oh horseshit. "Embrace (flutter)" Its annoying, attracts unwanted attention and indicates mechanical abuse in progress.
The technical aspects cannot be disputed with regards to bovs. They are there in black and white.

Flutter is a by-product of a stalled compressor wheel.

A stalled compressor introduces wildly fluctuating radial loads onto the compressor wheel and shaft.
When that wheel is turning in excess of 100,000rpm tiny little loads become very large loads at extreme frequency.
ANYTHING that can reduce/remove these destructive loadings is good.
Most manufacturers recognised these FACTs many years ago.

Reducing LAG between gear changes is the fallacy that is the cornerstone of most bov advertising spin and so is to be ignored.

Therefore, technically speaking, EVERY turbo car (yes, e15et's included) actually NEEDS a bov for best turbo life. Its quite simple. Whether you actually fit one or not and whether you want to hear it or not is a personal choice.

Lets hear your technical rationale for NOT fitting one eh Android?

L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

You may not be up to speed with the interwebs lingo...

IMHO = In My Honest Opinion

Opinion being the main word i'd like to emphasise.

In my OPINION very few people here need a supersonic mach 16 monster super duper blow off valve. The stresses they put their 'daily drivers' or 'hardly drivens' through isn't near enough strain to seriously damage their turbo and drastically shorten the life of it.

and besides, most people on here change their turbos quite often anyway which means they will never see the full lifespan of any individual turbocharger.

And let's be realistic here, the most common cause of a blown turbo on here wouldnt be fluctuating radial loads, it would be from your typical owner whose first modification is to wind the boost up to 25psi because it's "cooooool"
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

seriously i couldn't give a fuck if you or anyone else doesn't like VTA BOV's. i do and i will use them regardless of what anyone else thinks! i think flutter sounds shit! and 1 of my cars has a heap of it! but not for much longer. call me a wanker or whatever but i just don't care. personal preference.
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

well my gtr has a 'resonator' (fitted stock) after the panel filter. it helps reduce induction noise but also gives the engine access to unrestriced air (cause its already been drawn through the filter) which aids in response too. anyone who takes it out says the engine become less responsive/laggier. anyway if this is how the factory does it i'd be looking down this road for a solution

...i'd never go for an atmo bov again, plumb back all the way

oh android, your shit does stink fella :wink:
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

On the "winding it up to 25 Psi" rationale, then that in itself would then demand further the addition of a bov. Think about it for a minute.
What is it that destroys a turbo? (other than outright wear)
High boost on its own wont kill it, altho it might wear the thrust bearing a lot quicker which might lead to an eventual failure.
The higher shaft speeds wont kill it on their own if the turbo was even balanced at all.
What will kill a turbo is driving the compressor/turbine so far out of its efficiency "island" that the stable airflow across the wheels cannot be maintained and the compressor SURGES!
It cavitates. Like an outboard motor propeller "slipping" or cavitating and the forces can be sufficient to destroy the gearbox bearings and actually eat away the prop blade material!
Ever been in a boat with a cavitating prop? Vibration and so-on is pretty major.
This results in extreme fluctuating loadings withing the rotating mass and the thing literally flings itself to peices.

Gee, now, I seem to remember saying exactly the same thing happens with a STALLED conpressor wheel in a previous post!

Given the shaft speeds would be driven well into the extreme ranges over "stock" (whatever that might be on that particular size of engine) and so the fluctuating loads on the rotating components would be multiplied as a SQUARE of the rpm (no, thats right, the loads dont increase proportionately with RPM, they increase as a SQUARE of the rpm) then that would scream out loud and clear the absolute need for some kind of protection in the form of a bov if the shaft speeds are increased (upped boost).

You cannot dispute the facts and figures M8.

"Your humble (or indeed mine) opinion" means jack schitt here. Only technical facts and figures. You cannot dispute them. Opinions are just that, opinions and are disputable until the cows come home.
Saying an e15et driving normally does not need a bov is just bollocks and purely an opinion, NOT based on any technical facts.

It matters not whether you fit a bov loud enough to scare little old ladies
]supersonic mach 16 monster super duper blow off valve
on the other side of the street or a simple 80 dollar Bosch Plastic recirc. bov you cannot hear. Or Kimmos electric jobbie, or a variety of other types!
How you dump the air is your own issue and yes, opinion is what counts there. Some like it loud, some like nothing at all. You like dose, flutter and whatnot "fulli shiiiick mayyyte", cool for you. I hate it personally. Altho I can put up with that quiet and businesslike "sigh" some valves make.
Opinions and we are entitled to them no question/no dispute.

But from a technical standpoint, the facts cannot be disputed.
You interrupt the stable and laminar airflow, sufficiently over a compressor/turbine wheel rotating at extreme speed due to either 1: Stalling or 2: Surging it, sudden and catastrophic failure can be the result. massively increased wear and component fatigue at least

Listen to the news. If a jet aircraft engine suffers a compressor surge, (happened just recently, Jetstar I think) the engine is immediately shut down and it is removed and totally rebuilt.
As an ex aircraft maintenance engineer, I have fitted a brand spanking new JT-9 to a 747, seen it given a quick ground run, heard it "burp" (surge) on ground test and had to change the bloody thing for another new one.

You experience much the same destructive event EVERYTIME you change gears in a non bov fitted turbo car!!! It just so happens that the relative structural integrity of a humble turbo is perhaps (and happily) millions of times in excess of a commercial jet engine.

To remove, or at very least reduce that possibility of either stalling or surging (cavitation) with the addition of a bov cannot be argued M8.
The bov needs to be big enough of course.

Run this rationale by your technical gurus and lets see them debunk it.
well dont bother, they cant.

L8tr
E
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

dude, you are comparing a turbo to a jet engine here, not exactly apples and apples a turbo blows and your car will go a little slower. A jet engine blows and a lot of people could very well die. THAT is why you would rebuild/replace a jet engine so readily.

I am not disputing what you are saying about the wear involved, I know that flutter will have that effect on your turbo (on a minimal scale)

What I am disputing is that "if you don't run a bov you will experience catastrophic failure any time remotely close to when you start out with the setup."

You are talking extreme situations while ignoring the fact that most people out there don't use the car in a way which will warrant such extreme thinking.

There are a lot more things that will kill your turbo a lot quicker than a little bit of flutter. When you're talking a $400 turbo that's life may be shortened by say 10% being generous, it's hardly something to write home about.

dispute that.