N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

upgraded radiator

General chat related to anything N12.
ctchme

upgraded radiator

Post by ctchme »

hey guys, just wondering what options we have when upgrading to thicker radiators? what size can be fit into an exa?
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

ive seen S13 ones in but they are smaller due to the turbo needing more room. Do you seriously need a thicker radiator? Ive got a reco standard turbo one, with 2 thermo fans (1 8" on turbo side and one 10" on the front of the intercooler) and sometimes it struggles to even get over operating temperature on cool days/nights (yes new thermostat too)

even sitting in hot traffic it barely goes over halfway
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

Yeah am wanting a thicker one, have just upgraded my mx5 to a 53mm twin core radiator, the main reason is because my turbo is water cooled, im wanting to keep it cooler, and dont like my engine getting as hot as a rotary haha
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

ok well i'd be looking at whats wrong with your standard setup then cause i certainly have no problems with 5 times stock power, half the front blocked by a huge intercooler, and a water cooled turbo...
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

You wont improve on the stock big 3 core radiator.
You wont even begine to explore the cooling limits of it either unless its blocked/or something else is wrong with the engine/cooling system.

Spend you money where its actually NEEDED m8, not where you "think" its needed.

l8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
ctchme

Post by ctchme »

tassuperkart wrote:You wont improve on the stock big 3 core radiator.
You wont even begine to explore the cooling limits of it either unless its blocked/or something else is wrong with the engine/cooling system.

l8r
E
Just wondering, where would i be spending it? the reason i am upgrading is as a preventative measure, after doing a bit of research i found out that my radiator is the same as a nissan sentra radiator, so have ordered a twin core 48mm radiator. my current radiator is fine, not blocked or anything, but i prefer a bigger one, hence my original question
sgs

Post by sgs »

There is such thing as too much cooling dude. Unless your car is over heating I wouldn't worry about it. I have a mate who is a radiator technition and I have seen how much thought goes into choosing the right radiator. It takes experience, knowlege and calculations to pick the right one.

you asked what would you spend the money on? its not really about that, buying a big ass radiator that you dont need would be a waste of money.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

ctchme wrote:
tassuperkart wrote:You wont improve on the stock big 3 core radiator.

l8r
E
after doing a bit of research i found out that my radiator is the same as a nissan sentra radiator, so have ordered a twin core 48mm radiator. my current radiator is fine, not blocked or anything, but i prefer a bigger one, hence my original question
Well your research is flawed.
The turbo ET radiator is not found in anything else and its is a 3 core radiator stock. I made this quite clear in the above quoted post. is also why they are so expensive to have recoed.
So you are possibly DOWNGRADING to a 2 core radiator!!!!
Once again M8, the ET has the best and biggest radiator in the business which i would be happy to put in front of up to 500 horsepower.

Your money tho.
L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
EA-73-XA

Post by EA-73-XA »

what E said
T3T4 hybrid, FMIC and MT8 =

EA-73-XA now known as DR-34-MN
josh strong

Post by josh strong »

Will a sentra one straight fit ? As mine is way past its used by date and can't fined one in tas anywhere and my car needs pitting so can't customize things to much
ET! ,T25G ,BRAIDED LINES, FRONT MOUNT ,EXTERNAL GATE, EGI INTAKE, FPR, VL TB, VLT FUEL PUMP, CA18DET INJECTORS, 16 PSI!
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Then you might be able to get the standard one re-cored??

Mine was $300 cash - got it done 3 months ago after I punched several hole in it.

Bolt it back in

:)
Race it.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Josh:

any half decent raidiator joint can solder a new core in. Evan probably know a friken local guy :) And its 3 core copper so its actually more conductive than an aluminum equivalent. That's why the stock ones are so good.

Copied:
The thermal conductivity or heat transfer rate of copper is 92% versus aluminum which is approximately 49%.
Darren.
Race it.