N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Strange Behaviour & Noise's At High Speed

General chat related to anything N12.
SamJJJ

Strange Behaviour & Noise's At High Speed

Post by SamJJJ »

Hello Knowledgeable People.
I have a 1986 N12 Pulsar Hatch with auto transmission pared with the 1.6L 4cyl. engine.
Now that the technical's are out of the way, here's my problem. Driving at speeds anywhere between 60-90km/h a "vub-vub-vub-vub" noise can be heard from the front end somewhere. Between 80-90km/h the steering wheel starts to shudder from side to side (at about 60-70km/h it's more of a knocking sound with no steering wheel movement). I just had a wheel alignment so that wasn't the case. Could it be a bearing issue maybe?
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

CVs, maybe?

Look, if you want a sound diagnosed, there's really nothing for it but to shoot some vid and stick it on Youtube.
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

one off the wheel waits may have fell of i have had it happen a few times have look around all your rims and see if thats the case
Boost+pulsar = goodness = pain :(
My Ride
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4600
paul w

Post by paul w »

Just had EXACTLY the same sound fixed; a front wheel bearing.
I was told by the mechanics that steering wheel wobble is more about wheel balance, but the 'vub-vub-vub' noise was definitely the bearing.
paul w

Post by paul w »

Check your tyres, too - the NRMA guy that first checked my car said a defect in a tyre will cause that sound, too.
SamJJJ

Post by SamJJJ »

See I just got the CV boots replaced & the CV's were fine so that wasn't it, just got a wheel alignment (front & back) & 4 new tires so I was also considering it may have been a bearing issue. It probably is.
Thanks so much for the feedback people, appreciate it. :)