N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Loose Muffler

General chat related to anything N12.
Reswob

Loose Muffler

Post by Reswob »

Hello all, :-)

I am curious to know what this sound is coming out the back of my car.

When I give it some solid throttle then lay off the gas a bit I hear this rattling grating noise coming from what I believe is the muffler being slightly loose and having a dance around. I've had this noise happening since I got this car and it seems to have been benign so far. I've just had the exhaust manifold replaced and it looks like the muffler as been too. I can't imagine a 10-20 year old muffler looking that shiny.

Worst case scenario is that my muffler drops off when I'm driving down the road, which will cause my much amusement but I don't think the car behind me is going to find it funny. :-D
The legends we write help us grasp the truth.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Hi dudes,

I found my Uncle Darryl's place accidentally on purpose. He walked around the car and said "Still in good nick." Like I'm such a bad driver that I would be able to destroy the car in a year! :shock: Anyway I mentioned the exhaust rattling around and he thumped the muffler about. It seems apparent that there is something loose in the muffler that bounces all over the place when it is vibrating at certain frequencies, like coasting about in 2nd gear at 40 km/hr. By the looks of things the entire exhaust system would have to be removed if I wanted to get it out. Seems all welded together.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

If you replace it with a sports muffler instead of a standard one, the rorty note will make you smile long after you've forgotten coughing up for the operation.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

A sports muffler? Won't that be loud? I mean the car is already noisy. I'm not sure what would be better, the rattling or having that thing.....How much do they cost?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Standard mufflers are loaded with tubes, chambers and plates in there to quieten things down,
Sometimes those parts just crack and rattle like all getout at certain engine revs. Wont do any harm but will shit you off.
U either just ignore it or get another muffler fitted at an exhaust shop.

If you want to know how much it will cost, why dont you just drop round to ur nearest muffler shop and ask them how much to replace your muffler?

Easy job on a Pooser cos the muffler is right at the very back.

L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Yeah well I was looking at the prices of those things today and I don't have that spare cash. This rattle will have to keep me company for a while. :-) I'll get a new muffler when this one drops off or rusts out by the looks of things.