N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Indicator Relay?

General chat related to anything N12.
Reswob

Indicator Relay?

Post by Reswob »

Hello people,

My indicators are going bonkers. Originally the left indicators would not work when I pressed the hazard light button, now sometimes they work properly, other times the indicators won't function when I try to turn. I have to bash the hazard light button about a dozen times and fiddle with the stick to get my indicators back. I have been told that the indicator relay needs replacing.

Can anyone tell me what's the best (cheapest. I am a uni student) to go about repairing this?

I have been told to go to a Nissan dealer to get a new relay? Would that work best or should I just bite the bullet and take it to an auto electrical place. I have heard that they are easy to fit but I don't know, of course.

Thank you.
The legends we write help us grasp the truth.
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

When mine was doing that, it turned out to be the hazard light switch faulty which caused the indicators to go mad. Wait for some other responses but always attempt to avoid auto electricians as the old wiring is always doing something and they'll charge a fortune and never buy any parts new without asking in the wanted to buy section here first. Someone will always have what you need and much cheaper.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Thanks for the advice. I am wary of these professionals. I need to learn some mechanics. The fault did start with the hazard lights but after I got it back from the repair shop the fault seemed to migrate to the indicator function of the lights.

The fuel gauge might also be behaving differently now. I think the sensor might have gone bad in that one too.
Reswob

Update on the situation

Post by Reswob »

I've been fiddling with the fuse box. Someone put a 15A fuse where a 10A fuse was supposed to be. The function of the fuse was related to the "flashers." I hope that hasn't fried the wires. There also appeared to be several fuses missing, which I have now replaced.

However the problem remains....I unplugged the indicator relay and blew all this dust off to no avail...

....when the indicators don't work the indicator relay does not click. I am thinking of replacing that to see what happens. I am not sure if this is the right thing to do though.

I noticed some spots of rust on the lower section of the drivers door frame but I don't have enough money to worry about that yet, I guess.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Nope, You can almost guaranteee the indicator faults are related to the dodgey hazard switch.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Ok then, how do I fix this problem?
et_rider

Post by et_rider »

Reswob wrote:Ok then, how do I fix this problem?
replace the switch the one outa a standered n12/astra will work mate
Boost+pulsar = goodness = pain :(
My Ride
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4600
xr6eta

Post by xr6eta »

Just ask anyone with something in the parts for sale section. Any wreck will have one and postage will be about 5 bucks.
Reswob

How do I replace the hazard light button?

Post by Reswob »

I might have got a part sorted. I was more asking about HOW do you replace the hazard light switch? I've never done that before.

I have a Father that does not have a mechanical bone in his body, so I have not had an opportunity to watch and learn about these things. Little wonder that he bought a car for his daughter without checking whether it was roadworthy or not and leaving her to drive around on leaking brakes unwittingly....
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

small flat blade screwdriver and pry it out(will come out with ease)

the indicator issue relting to the switch is very very common
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Thanks. I never thought it would be as easy as stabbing the thing with a screwdriver!
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

They just snap in, but careful with the replacement; the 25 year old plastic is pretty brittle and the clips break easily.

You may have to resort to blu-tack : /
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

Yay! I'm going to have a car glued together with blu-tac! :-D I promise I will be gentle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I used three packets of the stuff to get my Exa home after I parked it on its roof... and also half a roll of gaffer tape : D

I even used a blob to disable my overboost valve.

Blu-tac FTW!
Reswob

Post by Reswob »

!!!! :shock: How does that work?