N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Why wont this car stop running F@$cken rich!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General chat related to anything N12.
AntsET

Post by AntsET »

Thanks for the info tassuperkart, i'll try all the options you suggested.
Wish me luck!!

Cheers AntsET
BELIEVE NOTHING OF WHAT YOU HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE!
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:Ahhhh thats better, now we have something to work with.

Ok see what happens with the malpassi. It might well be a RR reg but you say it ran ok when you first got it going. So mebbe not.

Now, youll prolly find those fuseable links down near the starter motor.
The main power wires run from the loom behind the passengers headlight where the battery used to be.
Should be 3 thick wires White and white/red and black/red.
Perhaps they might be twisted together and the fuseable links just removed and run down to the starter motor.

Id also be paying careful attention to grounding of the engine as well.

Might very well be an earthing issue given the battery has been moved.
Any voltage drop on the negative side is bad.

Make sure there is a good thick earth where the battery is with no rust or paint under it bolted securely to the chassis rail.
Another big arsed bonding strap from the starter motor bolts to the chassis.

Then run a decent bonding wire from the stock earth point on the inlet manifold down to the chassis earth point.

See what happens after that.

L8tr
E
On top of that, make sure the AFM is grounded too. If you are still getting probs with the ECU saying AFM, it may not be earthed properly.
Also, going off you post, the engine is running rich (as you already know) which is just fouling the plugs. There is no need to buy new ones, just give them a clean.
The malpassi will be the problem, piss it off and install a stock FPR.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

What he said.
L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
gopulsar

Post by gopulsar »

thats what i had to do..
AntsET

Post by AntsET »

Ok thats got me thinking now. When i had the original loom my mate pulled off the earth from the wiring loom to the AFM and ran a new wire to the body.
Thats when she ran sweet but not for long (2 weeks).
I thought a new loom would fix this but made no difference.
Theres obviously an earth problem, i'm not sure that an extra earth to the body will last but i suppose its worth a try.
Is it possible that there is an earth wire somewhere else that is causing the problem?
One other thing that scares me is the wheel-well in the boot has a grommet with 2 wires comming out of it attatched to nothing (right at the back).
So I had a good look and found the same coloured wires hanging out from under the back seat (plus an earth wire bolted inside the wheel-well.
I attached the same coloured wires together. WTF are these wires for + it made no difference to rich running.
I did an oil-change the other day and it was like water (very fuely).
Put new oil and oil-filter in and now the oil is watery again!
Geez this car gives me lots of pain!

AntsET
Damo

Post by Damo »

AntsET wrote:Ok thats got me thinking now. When i had the original loom my mate pulled off the earth from the wiring loom to the AFM and ran a new wire to the body.
Thats when she ran sweet but not for long (2 weeks).
I thought a new loom would fix this but made no difference.
Theres obviously an earth problem, i'm not sure that an extra earth to the body will last but i suppose its worth a try.
Is it possible that there is an earth wire somewhere else that is causing the problem?
One other thing that scares me is the wheel-well in the boot has a grommet with 2 wires comming out of it attatched to nothing (right at the back).
So I had a good look and found the same coloured wires hanging out from under the back seat (plus an earth wire bolted inside the wheel-well.
I attached the same coloured wires together. WTF are these wires for + it made no difference to rich running.
I did an oil-change the other day and it was like water (very fuely).
Put new oil and oil-filter in and now the oil is watery again!
Geez this car gives me lots of pain!

AntsET
Dude, if the thing is overfueling because of the reg, it won't matter what else you do to the engne, it will still overfuel!
Changing oil won't fix it, changing plugs won't fix it, swapping afms won't fix it, neither will any other wiring in your car. Put the stock reg on, or make sure the adjustable one is set at standard pressure and is a 1 to 1 ratio.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
gopulsar

Post by gopulsar »

exactly what damo is saying.. id probably check ya compression. after i fitted a malpassi rr 1:1.7 adjustable reg it bogged bad down low but did go ok past bout 4500 rpm, started blowin black smoke and got worse, after only 100 odd kms was not worth driving any more. found 120 psi comp in three cylinders, 90 psi in the other one! pulled down and found the bores were 'washed' or 'hone marks gone' from over fueling. yes i know ya pain
willdog

Post by willdog »

A bloke i bought an ET from in SA said he had a simmilar problem. He replaced the water temp sensor and it solved it. After looking through the service manual for fun, i noticed a diagram illustrating how the ECU does take into consideration factors such as water temp, and various other sensors such as AFM (common), Throttle Position, Crank Angle sensor etc. to determine fuel injection. Going through the sensors may help in the elimination process.
[/img]
AntsET

Post by AntsET »

Hi Willdog, you know it's funny that you responded to my "older" post coz I havn't touched my pulsar for a while now (lost interest) and I'm about to start fiddling with it again (something magnetic about these cars. TELL ME I'M WRONG!!!!!) I tell you what mate...... The temp sensor is the only thing I havn't changed yet and I will. The only thing that confuses me is the fact originally it was running rich, then I put an extra earth to the body from the AFM. It ran GREAT! then......... after a couple of weeks it ran rich again, so I put a BRAND NEW loom in it. Didn't change a thing! QUESTION.......... If you buy a water pump, do you get a Temp sensor with it or do you have to buy one???????? I have a temp sensor in another water pump but can't get the bastard thing out!!!! Thanks for getting the ball rolling for me again mate!!!! Cheers Antset :)
willdog

Post by willdog »

This was the diagram i was referring to:

Slow down Antset haha, the water temp sensor isn't anywhere near the water pump but in fact on the other side of the engine.

It is screwed into the thermostat housing, somewhat underneath near the dizzy. Refer to the diagram below:

Timmzy

RE: water temp sensors

Post by Timmzy »

hey mate,

Don't change the water temp sender until you have tested it.

They are only $20 from repco, but you can test them quickly and easily by using a mulitmeter across the damn thing unplugged.

Ill chase down the resistance values for you and post them.

Darren.
Race it.
willdog

Post by willdog »

Whilst I did mention the water temp sensor, it is only one of the several sensors related to the ECCS fuel management. Might wanna therefore check and eliminate each one using a multimeter as Darren mentioned.
NismoBoi

Post by NismoBoi »

had the same prob,but the cts was replaced and just like a new car and im runnin a malpassi rrfpr no probs runs like a dream,
How cute!Is that a V8?
AntsET

Post by AntsET »

Thanks guys, I appreciate your help.
I'll use my multimeter and check the resistance and let you know.
Cheers AntsET. :)