N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Jammed up gearbox

General chat related to anything N12.
willdog

Jammed up gearbox

Post by willdog »

GHey all,
Can anyone can shed some light as to how I screwed up my gearbox?
I recently did an engine swap and took the box off the old engine and put it on the new one. Engine works great.

Before doing so I cracked open the gearbox case to take a look inside. Didn't do anything other than pop out a leaky driveshaft seal and take a look around whilst there. Sealed it all back up, attached it to the engine and dropped it in to the car.

Problem: Now, as I'm trying to take off, the car violently shudders!!!! This occurs in first and reverse. I only manage to move about half a metre before I clutch-in and do any serious damage. The shuddering can be evidently seen on the passenger side wheel when it rotates IN GEAR. The car rolls fine in nuetral.

With the car turned off, in gear, and handbrake down, I cannot push the car forward or back as it seems locked (I forgot if that is normal).

Your thoughts appreciated,
-wiLL.
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

You shouldn't be able to push it when its in gear. Did you put the driveshaft in right?
chezza

gearbox

Post by chezza »

Wat about the clutch,have you put in a new 1? or is this a duffer. Our lasses yaris clutch judders violently when cold cos its nackered.
Keep cherry turbo's goin
willdog

Post by willdog »

The driveshafts were installed correctly, sent all the way home and seated in the gearbox.

The clutch was attached to the new engine wen I bought it. Just mated the gearbox to it.

I managed to take it for a drive down the street. However taking off creates violent shudder. With my foot depressing the clutch but still in gear in the box will continue to jump about under the hood. Car seems to run provided the car is moving at say above 20km/hr and the tacho is above 2000-2200 RPM.

I was suprised to see how smooth it could become once getting over that intial stage and hence thought the clutch just needed to bed in. However as mentioned, when in gear with clutch depressed, the gearbox seems to want to shake itself out of the mounts.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Well M8. Let it.
Pull it out and fix it. You know you have to.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Doesn't sound good. What happens if you pull out the plugs, put it in fifth, jack up a wheel and turn it over?
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hang on a sec! Why is this a gearbox issue?

You swapped over the engine, and now it shudders on take-off???? Sounds like a induction leak to me.

2cents

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
willdog

Post by willdog »

Evan is right....i just didn't want to face it. Damo it's definately the box. Kimmo i believe the wheels would rotate fine if they were suspended in the air. I did it once before...sort of, and occurs under load/weight i believe.

So my last question: does anyone here have any preference to whether they take off the box from within the engine bay... or by taking the entire engine out?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Box out from underneath is prolly quickest IF you can get the car on a hoist. Just more difficult if you have to scramble around underneath the car on stands.
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.