N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Insurance

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
xr6eta

Insurance

Post by xr6eta »

Without wanting to sound like a lazy bastard, has anyone found an insurance company who will insure these things for more than their market value to cover all the mods. Fire and theft is all I want. I seem to be having trouble finding anyone to do it as the car sits unregistered half the time but it doesn't stop little fuckers trying to pinch it, even from secure parking. What's the good news on insurance chaps.

Cheers,

Glenn
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

There a few companies that will do what is called "laid up" insurance. That is insurance for while it's not driving. Try Shannons. The insurance I have on the MR2 is with http://www.uniquecar.com.au/ that's a modified import.
I've had insurance with vigil before. Both of these are now part of Lumley (www.lsvinsurance.com.au)

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ummm, Im kinda sure that the car would be covered by household insurance if its parked in the carport/shed.

Fire and Theft is also known as "Bomb Insurance" which covers the car whilst driving.
Shannon are prolly your best bet to pick a name out of a hat.
Id also have a word to an insurance broker and see what they can do.

You need to disclose EVERY single "Notifiable Modification" which goes right down to extra speakers as well.
They can give you a list.
Crash the car, not disclose, say wheels, a CD deck or whatever else specified as a Notifiable Modification and they have grounds to deny the claim.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

I use just car insurance... full comp isn't much more than simple fire and theft, so i just went full compo....
that way if i crash into mr benz then I'll be fine.

I've heard very nasty things about shannons eh.
car enthusiasts my ass..... just another dodgy minority insuance company that will take every opportunity to rip you off because they have limited competition....

but yeah, check house insurance first!
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I left out that "Bomb Insurance" covers fire, theft AND 3rd party. Just in case you clobber something expensive...well anything really!!!!

Full comp, covers ur own car repairs and blah.

L8tr
E
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I don't think house insurance covers a car parked on your lawn a set alight by a passing DH, or jacked open and emptied.....

I'm surprised that you've heard bad things about shannons, I haven't and quite a few friends use them...my cars have always beena bit too modern for them to be competitive.
I have heard lots of bad things about Just Car, which is AAMI by another name. They were set up specially to get the younger un-insurables with damaging the AAMI brand name. AAMI are rubbish and I would not recomend them to my mother-in-law. It took 5 goes, 10 weeks, 3 calls to the ombudsman and a personal meeting with the state manager for them to fix our car. Eddie Tun, I still remember your name. Worse insurance company I have ever dealt with and I've dealt with lots.....

C
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

House insurance doesn't cover any motor vehicle over 50cc. So won't cover motorbikes etc locked up in a shed, but would cover a push bike with a 49cc engine.
ACL Pistons, 226/236 cam, T28 Turbo, FMIC, FJ20T Injectors, Wolf V4 ECU, NPC Clutch, VL TB, Custom High Mount Manifold, N13 Internals G/B, 3" SS Exhaust, Walbro 500hp Pump.
237hp@18psi
13.52@108.95mph (street trim, leaky hg)
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Hmmm, Ill have to have a look now. Im almost certain that my house and contents cover, covers the shed and its contents including vehicles in there.
be interesting to be sure.
L8tr
E