N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

how much boost??

General chat related to anything N12.
gopulsar

how much boost??

Post by gopulsar »

Tech gurus, do ya reckon 10-12psi boost will be bout right for these mods on my 84 exa? all imput greatly appreciated cheers.

low comp. stock engine(fresh rings and big ends)
port matched manifolds to head
adjustable malpassi rr fpr
t28 from s15
3in dump
2.5in exhaust
600x300x75 fm intercooler
vl tb
relocated afm (stock ecu..yes i know guys, still sweet talkin the missus!)
stock injectors (suggestions please, im told vl ones are the go??)
electronic coil
some swanky spark plugs i was givin (if they make a diff.?)

iv also found a local guy who says he can make a chip for my stock ecu after tuning it via laptop.. has anyone heard of this being possable? thanks guys
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

12psi should be fine and i'm not sure about this chipping the ecu business.
gopulsar

Post by gopulsar »

cheers mate
baz

Post by baz »

You can't tune stock ecu's in these cars
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

baz wrote:You can't tune stock ecu's in these cars
Baz is right. there has been some companies in the past bring out chips for our shitty old ECU's but for the money you might aswell just buy a cheap aftermarket fully programmable ECU, install that and tune it up according to your engine and modification setup. you will gain WAAAYYYY better results!
baz

Post by baz »

I did hear of a guy who had some type of piddy back with a stock ecu but not sure if it was true or not?..You can pick up a 2nd hand ECU like a wolf or a microtech etc for under $500..Remember if it's a 2nd hand microtech and if it hasn't been pulled from an E15ET and is out of some other car then it will need to be sent to microtech and they will clear all the data ready for a tune, But if it's a wolf or something then your all good, Is there a reason WHY microtech designed their ecu's so they have to be sent back to them if their ecu is stuck in something different from previous?..Just a way to make more cash?
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

You can tune these ECU's/ There is a dude over here who can do it too. He says they are almost identical to an L series ECU and he does them.

VL injectors are identical to ET ones. The stock ones will see you to 140-150KW anyway...

12psi should be a good level for the street. You should be able to push it further tho.
gopulsar

Post by gopulsar »

Thanks heaps for the imput guys! motor should be goin on the weekend with all new mods.. YeeHaa!! ill give this bloke a go and be sure to let yas know how it goes
thanks again Ty
Android 360

Post by Android 360 »

i reckon best advice would be go for the lowest boost possible while still retaining the driveability and power that you are after.

less boost means your shit will last longer..

it's always better to have your boost a little too low than a little to high :P
"I wasn't born with enough middle fingers, I don't need to choose a side."
baz

Post by baz »

photoglossy wrote:You can tune these ECU's/ There is a dude over here who can do it too. He says they are almost identical to an L series ECU and he does them.
I've never heard of anyone ever having a tuned stock ECU?..He may say he can do them but has he done one before?..Prolly talking out his ass?..Any proof he can do them?..Would be alright if someone down this way could do them but who wants to keep a shitty afm :?

Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

baz wrote:
photoglossy wrote:You can tune these ECU's/ There is a dude over here who can do it too. He says they are almost identical to an L series ECU and he does them.
I've never heard of anyone ever having a tuned stock ECU?..He may say he can do them but has he done one before?..Prolly talking out his ass?..Any proof he can do them?..Would be alright if someone down this way could do them but who wants to keep a shitty afm :?
if he can and does a reasonable job, he might get a few sales on the forum. Keeping the stock ecu unit would appear to many.

C
Damo

Post by Damo »

Callumgw wrote:
baz wrote:
if he can and does a reasonable job, he might get a few sales on the forum. Keeping the stock ecu unit would appear to many.

C
The Skyline 31 Shilloette GTS series I and II had a piggy back ECU on the standard Bosch Motronic factory ECU to allow different ignition timing and fueling to allow for the breathing enhancements they (the RB30) recived outside the Nissan factory line. Reason being that Nissan Japan rufused to allow Nissan Australia to fiddle with the Factory ECU!!
So, if it can be done to the 31 Skyline, it can be done to the E15ET. Same generation ECUs.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

All he needss is an oxy sensor in the exhaust for tuning. He can tune to suit it to any set of injectors and a range of AFM's. (CA, SR, VG etc...)

He road tunes them, so unless you wanna pay to ship him over to tune your car then dont even think about it.

Charge is about $450 i think... I'd rather put my money toward a tunable ECU...
baz

Post by baz »

Aftermarket ECU ftw :D

XR Pilot

Post by XR Pilot »

baz wrote:You can't tune stock ecu's in these cars
Why not? Heres the early vs late fuel and ignition maps compared next to each other. Nistune sell boards for these ecu's too, no reason why you can't tune them. The only problem is the very early maps don't have VQ maps like the later ecu's which means that you can't swap air flow metres as easily as a later nissan ecu but it may still be possible. I've never owned an N12 (although I'd like to get a Pulsar ET some day down the track for a bit of fun) but I'd hazard a guess that the unleaded cars lean out much more than a leaded cars once the boost is wound up. The maps show why...

EDIT: Top maps are leaded, bottom is unleaded. Also note the dip in the stock leaded ignition map around 2500rpm, I'm guessing this was done to limit wheelspin when the turbo came on boost. Again, only guessing as I've never owned or even been in an N12.