N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

intercooler piping

General chat related to anything N12.
[ EXAPPEAL ]

intercooler piping

Post by [ EXAPPEAL ] »

is it ok to run exhuast steel as intercooler piping???/ whats the best way to go about it and what size pipes to use?? just a couple of questions lol
albyexa

Post by albyexa »

Its perfectly fine to run mild 304 steel, used as exhaust pipes for you intercooler, and 2-2.5" is fine, 2.5" is more for the larger setups....
And just get a rough idea of where you want the pipes going and how u want it to look etc and get to cuttin...;)
Hope this helps...

Alby...
[ EXAPPEAL ]

Post by [ EXAPPEAL ] »

ah yeah cheers dude was thinkin to dolly it up with some pvc and take it to an exhaust shop and get em to bend up some pipes?? i got 28/t25 g not sure what it is yet lol on a mid mount manifold so not sure wat normal setups people have for there pipe work?? i got a high mount manifold WITH A t2 on it 2 but dunno if u can spin the turbo round to sit on that manifold the right way also.. i dont no which one to use yet
albyexa

Post by albyexa »

I'v got 2.5" piping for my cooler, but I'v heard or cars making 250rwkw (not n12's) with 2" piping, I woulda gone the 2" if I did it ova again and had the pipes, but 2.5 is fine for me, I got a t28 and bigger work to come, soo its just up 2 u and what u wanna do.
Check out my car thread for a few pixx, if not theres plenty of intercooler setups in the rides section you could check out mate...

Alby...
baz

Post by baz »

I had 2" piping on my exa, Just a mild steel, Afm was in piping and the inlet and outlets of the AFM are 2 1/4 and same with the TB, So i got 3x 2 1/4" adapters made up and welded onto my 2" piping
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
ET87

Post by ET87 »

alby's exa is a fukin animal.. quick car man, i was with cal on monday night.. n my god its fast.. n the piping looks great could not tell if it was custom or an old exhaust lol..
photoglossy

Post by photoglossy »

2'' looks gay... Of course it will work, but you may as well have it work well and look tough. We don't drive turbo charades now do we?! My pick would be to go for 2.5''. Make sure you get mandrel bends too, not this press bent crap otherwise your 2'' pipe will be more like 1.5'' in the bends.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

I use 2" from turbo to cooler and 2 1/2" the rest, thats good for one of the more powerful ET's going round here :P

You can use what ever you want really for i/c piping.
Alloy, Steel, Stainless, Copper, PVC. Its all been tried and all works.
BLUE ET

Post by BLUE ET »

lol pvc, do you use the glue as well to give a better seal??
never seen that before but then again ET87s dodgyass cooler setup has a little bit of pvc in it and it works........sort of lol
SHIT JANICE!!!!!!!!!
baz

Post by baz »

A friend got a soarer one of the first ones, (import) and it had PVC intercooler piping and it was on a 1J :P
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Sounds like the go... I'm so gonna give PVC a crack when I fit my IC.

Reckon I might end up replacing the bit between the turbs and IC with metal, but the other bit should be fine.

I wonder what the radius is on the bends, though
[ EXAPPEAL ]

Post by [ EXAPPEAL ] »

i was actually only gonna it up so the exhaust shop knows where to put the pipes hahaha
amraks

Post by amraks »

a friend of mine used PVC pipe, said he didn't have any problems with it.
Amraks
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

i'd be using pressure pipe not normal pvc
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
Ryan ET

Post by Ryan ET »

Better to run 2 inch so its not too laggy. I have a new 300x600x80 cooler with 2 inch piping and its pretty hectic. ill have new pics up of it soon. Etrider strikes again with his first class backyard mechanics!
1984 N12 PULSAR ET - T25G HIGH MOUNT, MICROTECH MT8, EGI ILET MANIFOLD, 300x600x80 COOLER, STANDARD THROTTLE BODY!!!!, BES TURBO TIMER, AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE.