Power issues

General chat related to anything N12.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Power issues

Post by thepurplepulsar »

Hey people,

So it's been over 3 months since I've driven the pulsar. Consiquently the battery was flat, so thats been charged. Now the issue is it won't start, it seems I've got power to about half the car.

I've got power to my wipers, alarm (along with indecators), turbo timer, Crane ignition system, Microtech and starter motor. I've check all the fuses in the box, all were fine. There was 2 wires with fuses running off the starter motor, one was blown, now replaced. There was two fuses behind the dash that I found, one blown, replaced. The car turns over but doesn't start.

Things I don't have power to or don't work are the indecators (via lever or hazard switch, seems odd), thermo fan, headlights and tail lights, horn, dash lights, interior fan and the fuel pump doesn't prime.

Appart from the fuses I listed, is there any others hidden away?
If not a fuse, any other suggestions?

Cheers,
Uschi.
Number 5 on the Top Ten List - 12.39 @ 110mph

My Car
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Hey man, I once blew a little fusible link sort of thing just down off thr started motor ... although reading thru your list of things that do and don't have power it seems to me like all of the stuff off the accessory side of the fuse box is OK, but all the stuff off the permanent power are dead. Unscrew the fuse box and make sure that a wire hasn't burnt off or come loose ... if it has and it's earthed itself out it could also explain the blown fuses.
Sorry I can't help more mate.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Fuseable links M8, right up next to the battery.

There is a pair of pink wires, a black and a green wire running between two plastic connector blocks about 100mm apart.

One of these is popped.

I start asking questions tho as to WHY all these fuses you have replaced are blown.

L8tr
E.
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

I found the section you were talking about E, wired to the starter motor. 2 connectors, 2 pink, one green, and a black that was fried in two. The wiring looks shit old and dodgy, so I'll replace the whole section.

By fusable links, is there supposed to be fuses inline on some of those wires? Or that the wires themselves are actually the fuses?

My Car
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

The wires themselves are the fuses. Hence "fuseable links".

Youll have to replace the links as an assembly or you could insert some big arsed single blade fuses inline.

Its wise to have them there.

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Yeha I thought the wire themselves must have been the fuses, ala the old school fuse wire on a house switch board. I'll get onto it sometime this weekend and see if that fixes my problem.

Cheers mate.

My Car
thepurplepulsar
Administrator
Administrator

Alright, so I replaced that. Which has bought back power to my hazards, interior fan, headllights, and horn. The fuel pump still doesn't prime and I don't have power to the car radio and the thermo fan. (which can be activated on a switch) and lastly my central locking.

While exchanging plugs on non-fuse side Ii didn't see that it was two red/ black wires and not one solid black and a red/ black.. I took a stab going by the bend/ position of the wire but just to make sure, would you be able to check what yours look like.

Mine currently is, by looking at the front of the plug
Top Right= Big White
Bottom right Black/ thin red
Bottom left= White/ red
Top left Black/ thick red.

If this is correct any suggestions where to look next for a problem? I had a look behind the fuses box and nothing looked out of the ordinary there.

My Car