N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

New to this and want to buy a ET Turbo

General chat related to anything N12.
et_turbo

New to this and want to buy a ET Turbo

Post by et_turbo »

Hi there, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on this.

I was just wondering what models are P plater legal ? I am currently on my green P's and will be off them in about a years time, I know that there are a few ET's that are available to P platers that are legal to drive, I just dont know which ones!

Another question, would someone be able to explain the Pro's and cons of the ET Turbo ? Different models, etc etc.

I heard that theyre factory computers are the first to go on them ?

I have between 3 and 5 grand to spend and want to know everything about them since they have been my favourite cars for a while, ive preety much been a rotary nut before this and have already owned a series 2 rx7 with a standard 12A bridgeport.

The turbo bug has bit me :twisted:

Cheers fellas, anything that there should be known would be greatly appreciated.
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

i woulda thought if 1 Et was availiable all would considering there was only 2 types leaded(84-85) and unleaded(86-87)
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
et_turbo

Post by et_turbo »

Hey mate, yeah I had a glimpse at the list of cars a while back, but I forgot which models were allowed!
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

well the later unleaded models had less power maybe that was the model.

tho i did just goto RTA NSW and it says

Prohibited vehicles are those with:

Eight or more cylinders.
A turbocharged engine (except diesel).
A supercharged engine (except diesel).
Engine performance modifications.
Certain high performance six cylinder engine vehicles or other vehicles as described in the publication Novice Drivers - High Performance Vehicle Restrictions.

The following vehicles are not prohibited vehicles and may be driven by provisional licence holders:

Suzuki Cappuccino 2D Cabriolet Turbo 3 698cc (released between 1/01/1992 - 1/12/1997).
Daihatsu Copen L880 2D Convertible Turbo 4 659cc (released from 1/10/2003).
Smart vehicles (all models).

If you are unsure whether your vehicle is prohibited or you would like more information about P1 and P2 licence conditions phone 13 22 13.

so kinda looks like ur outta luck

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/get ... tml?lfid=1
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Hey Panda,

you forgot the fastest ET, the

EXA!

:lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

the almighty speeding door wedge :wink:
et_turbo

Post by et_turbo »

Checking on the actual list of prohibited cars here's what I found about the ET's.

NISSAN PULSAR ET 5D HATCHBACK 4 1487 cc TURBO MPFI 5M 1983 TURBO 4

NISSAN PULSAR ET N12 5D HATCHBACK 4 1487 cc TURBO MPFI 5M 1986 TURBO 4

So that means the 84, 85 and 87 are available?
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New to this and want to buy a ET Turbo

Post by The Renegade »

et_turbo wrote: Hi there, I am new to this forum and I was just wondering if someone could shed some light on this.
G'day mate Welcome to the forum!
et_turbo wrote: I was just wondering what models are P plater legal ? I am currently on my green P's and will be off them in about a years time, I know that there are a few ET's that are available to P platers that are legal to drive, I just dont know which ones!
It really depends what state you are in, if you're in N.S.W. ya can't have any of them until you're off your P's. Sorry mate. But that's not to say you can't buy one and have it ready for the day you get your blacks!!!!
et_turbo wrote: Another question, would someone be able to explain the Pro's and cons of the ET Turbo ? Different models, etc etc.
Pro's - they're tops. And they're easy to work on yourself. And Relatively cheap when it comes to bang for your buck.
Cons - hmmmmmm...... nup. I got a blank.
The only other model is the Exa, which is the "sports" variant. Here's mine:

et_turbo wrote: I heard that theyre factory computers are the first to go on them ?
Not really. The computer is under the passengers seat, and as a result the plugs get knocked around a bit. Ergo, they become loose and so begin the phantom engine problems..... Easily fixed though!
et_turbo wrote: I have between 3 and 5 grand to spend and want to know everything about them since they have been my favourite cars for a while.
With that sort of cash you should be able to find yourself a very nice example.
et_turbo wrote: I've pretty much been a rotary nut before this and have already owned a series 2 rx7 with a standard 12A bridgeport.
Heh. Seems we attract quite a few ex-rotor heads, myself being one. I've had an RX2 with a Mild ported 6 port 12A, an HB 929 with a 12A inj Turbo, and an HB Cosmo with an inj13B, then SIII RX7 running gear when that motor let go.
et_turbo wrote: The turbo bug has bit me :twisted:
Welcome to the club! And good luck with your hunt.
--------------------
Trust no-one but yourself.

The beast:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3982
=====================
Mid North Coast Member. :twisted:
=====================
RIP EAZY E

yea

Post by RIP EAZY E »

Im a rotary lover but been brought up around ets. :D My et is my first car on my Ps i have been pulled over for RBT's and one copper said nothing about the turbo dont think he knew what it was and another said "this isnt a prohibited car is it?" and i said "nah it isnt" and he started luaghing and said "yea i know alright keep going"

....... when i was on my Ls i was driving my et and got pulled over by detectives but thats just because i was wearing a hat and may have looked like a trouble maker :D, but they also said you got to expect being pulled over driving a car like this....... I think the older police officers know what cars these are but since they are rare i dont think the new police officers know what they are.....

anyways those rules are bullshit my car isnt that fast and its stock as i think thats why the police leave me alone..... Your aloud to drive an R32 Golf but you cant drive a 1.3 litre turbo charade how cool are these rules.
I have also looked into the prohibited list and 85 ets arent there..

You can get an exemption if its the principle family car and you can prove it and if its a moderatly sized turbo.
ET 4 EVA

Post by ET 4 EVA »

ahhh im just glad im on my opens hehe
and up here in sunny brisbane, we havnt had the new ;aws come in till next month anyway
ill put htis up for general info for the bris mambers and such as a reference:

-lowering the minimum learner age to 16 and extending the licence period to 12 months
-gaining 100 hours of certified, supervised driving experience for under-25 learners
-restricting all mobile phone use, including hands-free, blue-tooth accessories and loud-speaker functions, for learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25
-restricting mobile loud-speaker functions for supervisors and passengers of learner and P1 provisional licence holders under 25, while they are being instructed
-motorbike learners will be required to hold a car provisional licence for 12 months before obtaining a motorbike learner licence
-introduction of a two-phased P1 and P2 provisional licence system
-compulsory L plates (a black L on a yellow background) and P plates P plates (a red plate for P1 and green plate for P2)
-peer passenger restrictions (only carrying one passenger aged under 21) from 11pm to 5am for P1 provisional licence holders under 25
-high-powered vehicle restrictions for provisional drivers under 25
-to progress from a P1 to a P2 licence, provisional drivers must pass a hazard perception test (being introduced in 2008)
-late night driving and other restrictions for disqualified and suspended young drivers.

High powered
vehicles
You are not allowed to drive high powered vehicles including
vehicles with any of the following:
• an engine that has a power output of more than 200kW; or
• eight or more cylinders; or
• a turbocharged or supercharged engine (except diesel
powered engines); or
• an engine performance modification that is not standard
to the original manufacturer’s vehicle specifications and
requires approval from an approved person; or
• a rotary engine that has an engine capacity in excess of 1146cc
Check your vehicle’s power specifications on the vehicle
manufacturer’s website or a car guide website such as
www.redbook.com.au or www.carsguide.com.au
LANYARDS FOR SALE AGAINLIMITED NUMBERS BE QUICK MUST SELL for infoVISIT:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4652
SammyET

Post by SammyET »

seems like theyre standardising the rules across the states....
MY CAR FOR SALE... see the for sale section

136.6kw @ 12psi, Microtech LT8s T28/25g hybrid.
et_turbo

Post by et_turbo »

Cheers for the info guys.

I will be on the lurk looking for stock standard ET's :D Wanting the sleeper look so I dont attract attention from unwanted (cops)
raiz

Post by raiz »

guys look like they looking to spoil your fun with the n12

BUT you know the saying "where there's a will there's a way!!" :wink:
et_turbo

Post by et_turbo »

I wont give up ;)
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

That's the spirit!!!!! :D