N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Problems with my stock 1985 N12 Pulsar + potential turbo?

General chat related to anything N12.
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

Hey all,
I am not really a car enthusiast, my thing is motorcycles, specifically early harleys.

Recently i needed to purchase a car to get to and from work as it wasn't practical to commute on the bike every day. I came across a 1985 N12 Pulsar with only 80,000k's on the clock. One owner old lady, she bought it new and only drove to the shops and back before she passed away. Picked it up for $800 and it's in almost new condition. I had to replace the struts and thermostat and flush the radiator and it's been sweet ever since.

Recently the car started losing spark intermittently. I would be driving along and it would just lose power all of a sudden, I'd switch the ignition off and back on and it would start up again. It got progressively more regular and then eventually died completely. Turns over fine but no spark at the plugs. Like the rookie I am i presumed it was points ignition so i purchased a new distributor cap, points, condenser and distributor button as well as plugs.

Quickly realised there was no points in the distributor so it must be electronic ignition. Any idea where the module would be located on that vehicle? If this is a problem anyone has experienced before any ideas on where to look first?

Finally, not that I am any sort of go fast type of guy but friends of mine had ET's when I was growing up and they were quick! What would be involved in converting mine over to turbo? Expensive process? I am a competent fabricator and reasonably mechanically minded so I'd try to do it myself if possible.

Thanks.
boosted

Post by boosted »

Hey,
wow, your N12 sounds like a good find!
This sounds similar to the faulty CAS (cam angle sensor)problem, which the ECU-equipped N12s are experiencing now and then.
But I guess you have carburated engine and a TSZ-i style ignition right? Whats your engine code, E15S, E16i?

Cheers!
Martin
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

Hey Martin,
The engine number just starts with E15. I really need to locate that ECU so I can check the connection.

Anyone know where the damn thing is hiding?
etking

Post by etking »

Under the passenger seat
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

It's definitely not under the passenger seat I've looked thoroughly.
boosted

Post by boosted »

this sounds like the setup i mentioned before then. (no ecu-> carburetor, TSZ-i ignition)
Is there a vaccum advance actuator on your distributor?
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

Yep, there is. Are you still thinking it could be cam angle sensor? Is there any way to bench test the sensor. Where is it located usually?
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

I called a local parts store to enquire about a cam position sensor for my model and he said his parts list says that model didn't have one? Does that sound right, he mentioned i should be looking at my ignition module to find the fault.
boosted

Post by boosted »

yep, he is right, no ecu means no CAS.
I think you have the transistorized inductive ignition then. 4 toothed trigger wheel, right?

As far as I know these systems, there is no external module involved.
All the electronics sits in the distributor pickup module.
https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/N ... 52801ce106 (I haven't seen the version with the module on the outside of the dizzy before)

I can send you a schematic for the EUR-spec N12, but it is fairly simple:
12V positive goes from the ignition switch to the igntition coil and to the dizzy module.
One cable goes from the dizzy module to the ign. coil to switch it on/off like the breaker would do.

If all positive and earth connections and cables and the coil are in good working order, there is a chance the module in the dizzy is faulty.
But it should be available in the aftermarket at a fairly low price
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

Hey Martin,
Thanks for your help.

So I should technically be able to wire a hot lead straight from the battery to the positive terminal on the distributor to test the ignition pickup inside the distributor right? If the car runs then I'll know the problem is between the switch and the dist.
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

Okay, tried that last night, wire straight from battery to positive on coil but same result. I took the ignition module out of the distributor to try and test. Should there be resistance between the 2 terminals? I have no resistance anywhere on the module when testing.
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

She's running again! Was the pickup module in the distributor. Thanks for your help.
boosted

Post by boosted »

yeah! that is good to hear!
have fun driving the old girl ;-)

out of curiosity: how much did the module cost?
jarlenfos

Post by jarlenfos »

The module was $90 but I was cool with the price considering I didn't have to pay someone else to fix it up for me. Been driving to work again every day and she's running sweet.
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KiloooNL »

jarlenfos wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:53 pmHey Martin,
The engine number just starts with E15. I really need to locate that ECU so I can check the connection.

Anyone know where the damn thing is hiding?
The stock ECU is 100% under the passenger seat, poorly installed under the seat mind you. If it isn't there then either A) it has been relocated (why I wonder) or B) it potentially has an aftermarket ECU.

The only other reason is you don't have an E15ET or e15 engine controlled by an ECU, have you got a carby? If so then likely no ECU.

The wiring for the ECU comes in under the glove box on passenger side. It is a thick loom, so you may have to trace the wires to see where it is hiding. They do have a diagnostics mode on them, which flashes LEDs in a particular sequence that will give you a code, this can sometimes be handy when trying to troubleshoot issues like this. Good work fixing the dizzy though! Vroom vroom.