N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

F1 Is back bitches!!!

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
Damo

F1 Is back bitches!!!

Post by Damo »

Strap yourselves in, its going to be awsome! V6 1.6ltr 15,000rpm 50 psi + 120kw electric = madness.

Redbull's dominace is going to come to a crashing end today.

GO FONZI!

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
Damo

Post by Damo »

Well, as expected, Mercedes is miles ahead of everyone else at the start of this 1st round of the comp. Rosburg finished 24+ seconds ahead of everone else in the field. Daniel Ricciardo had a spectacular race and finished 2nd.
It will be interesting to see how much better Vettle could have gone if his car didn't shit itself, but I doubt that Vettle is 24 seconds quicker than Ricciardo.
The cars sound great, but need a heap more volume. Something like a screamer pipe would be good.
I can't get my head around how these engines are able to make the power they claim whilst using the amount of fuel they do. It works out to be approx 90ltr per hour which only works out to be 180kw?????

Edit: That should be 135 ltrs per hour. Mind you, that approximation I used is for power at the wheels (old habbits :roll: ) so more like 150-160kw per litre or 320-350kw which seems more plausible.

Damo

Damo

Post by Damo »

So Ricciardo has been asshole'd by the FIA for apparently having too much fuel flow during the race. The homoglated fuel flow sensors that all teams run so their fuel flow can be monitored by the FIA were giving inconsistent results from FP1 on Friday for both the RedBull cars. The FIA changed the sensors for Saturday, but still no joy. The FIA instructed RedBull to run the original sensor and add a correction to their fuel maps. As I would expect, RedBull knew EXACTLY how much fuel they were running and refused to correct their maps, running with no flow sensor as instructed. As you can imagine, the FIA got the shits and disqualified Ricciardo post race.
I believe that this may go further, and that Ricciardo will get his points back for the 'Drivers Championship" but RedBull will be refused the points toward the "Constructors Championship", as the incident was not in his control.

Damo

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

There are several parts of this series that are stupid IMHO.
Fuel economy. Im sorry, this is a motor race, not an economy run. Give them a small fuel tank to ensure several pitstops. Specifying fuel consumption is preposterous.
Energy recovery and so-on.. Im sorry, these are racing cars. Not test beds for energy saving systems for Priuses and Camrys.
Fit them with simple hydraulic brake systems that WORK.

PS, I love the sound of a bellowing 6 shooter!!!!!!

Out/
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Damo

Post by Damo »

I hear your pain, and that is why some of the best older drivers can't compete, as what they are now doing is 75% racing and 25% bean counting.
Pinnacle racing is supposed to be driver with the biggest balls going flat stick over a set distance the quickest, whether 1, 2 or 3 stops. Today, the drivers need to conserve tyres, conserve fuel, stick to strategy ect ect.
I fully understand what the FIA are trying to do. The task is to make the racing as exciting as possible, whilst keeping costs down and cheque book manufacturing illegal and having F1 be at the forefront of internal combustion engine (and associated component) design and development again.
It has only taken 4 years to go from a system which provides 60hp for 7sec to 160hp for 33sec in the kinetic energy recovery systems. Along with turbos which spool a generator whilst boosting to provide further power to electric assist without consuming additional fuel. Then that same energy can spool the turbo outside it's threshold range (boost at idle). The tech is astounding, but what it means is to make that a priority for manufacturers to focus on, a fuel limit must be applied. And that sucks balls.

Damo

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I think that three points here are mutually exclusive.
FIA
Keeping costs down
Keeping racing exciting.

They fail spectacularly at the last 2!

I like/love the technology. Especially when its in a Prius or a Camry saving fuel.
I just cant stand force feeding energy saving technology into an F1 race car for the sake of it.
I couldnt agree more with adding various strategies such as tyres and pitstop strategies to the mix.
i why i enjoy NASCAR racing above all now. The cars are more or less equal. t
There is no clearly superior car. Altho we are talking neanderthal liketechnology in comparison. I mean FFS, they still jack one side only of the the car with a garage jack, use 5 wheel nuts and fuel out of jerry cans...hawhawhaw!
BUT, the entire show con tributes to the outcome rather than just balls out raw racing!!!

Newhoo!!! Drive on!

Oracle
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Did some more research on the engine setup.
I like the interesting twist on the old energy recovery turbine thingy.

Its a variation/expansion on a pretty old concept. From memory, it made its mark in aircraft.
Volvo trucks recently used a second energy recovery turbine after the primary turbo and the secondary turbine is geared directly back into the motor via a small planetary gearbox.

I can see why they are using the generator in reverse as a method of spinning the turbo up tho.
It would be so simple to just supercharge the engine for instant boost but they are going the turbo route to extract more energy out of the fuel. be interesting to know their efficiency percentages.
Ordinary petrol cars are barely in the 30 percents!

Nice stuff but not ground breaking.
The interesting part is the engineering issues they needed to overcome. That generator is asked to do a zillion rpm!!!!

Im still against the whole circus becoming a testbed/development platform for energy saving. These are pure racing cars but its cool shit nonetheless!

Oracle
Damo

Post by Damo »

If I understand the strategy they are implementing correctly (mind you, none of the stuff that the 'F1' sites seem to quote seems realistic, everything appears to be dumbed down so the layman can grasp it), no wastegate, shaft speed is limited by the ECU loading up the uber speed generator to electrically boost performance directly via the crank electric motor.
To think of it another way, 'they' are directly limited to a max of 100kg fuel per hour, which is give or take 2.25ltrs per min. Throw that figure into any flow v's power calculator you want, and it falls between 300 to 360 kw at the fly. The F1 donks are supposed to be making 450kw! Which suggests 200kw per litre of fuel per min which is fucking unbelievable!! So, knowing that 2.25ltrs per min is the max fuel rate they are allowed, they are able to use the electrics to generate the extra 160hp or so on top of the 600hp the engine is allowed/governed to make.
As fuel flow is now being scrutinised, teams know that the engines are more economical at lower revs higher boost, so you won't see an engine being reved much past 10,500rpm to make the power they want. The lower they use the 2.25ltrs per min, the more power they will be making. I would love to see a BMEP map for one of these puppies.

And to answer the question, I would think efficiency would be somewhere around the high 30's low 40's% range, with all the other shite bolted to it!

Damo

Damo

Post by Damo »

What my young bloke thinks of the new F1 sound!

Damo