N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

So it begins!!!

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
Damo

So it begins!!!

Post by Damo »

As of today, I am the owner of a 88 Aussy 31 Skyline sedan. Its moroon and is relativly straight for its age. Interior is similar condition. It was an auto to start with, but a couple of years back the engine failed, and in went the manual engine/box. So, the car came with a spare auto box and engine in bits with a vrs, rings + bearings for a rebuild. Started well, (a little tappy) then I drove it home. On the 10k trip, it has spun a big end!!!! Looked it the bay, and the oil sender wire was broken.

Anyway, a great buy for $250.

Rebuild on the way. Boost anyone. :D

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
trailblazer

Post by trailblazer »

lol. That will keep you goin for a while. what's the plan, rb30 cross rb26dett? :D
Damo

Post by Damo »

trailblazer wrote:lol. That will keep you goin for a while. what's the plan, rb30 cross rb26dett? :D

The whole thing plays out a bit like:

Get hold of a RB30T exy manifold, bolt up the spare VG30 I have to it and run 15psi with the Autronic off the ET, (Should make it as quick as the Pulsar ATM). In the mean time, keep an eye out for a RB25 head, purchase a speky exhaust manifold off ebay to suit, and get hold of a 35/82 off the early generation XR6T's and run 25psi.
Should be enough poke to run a lowish 11, and keep my mate with the 1jz carolla honest! :D

Damo

Ryan ET

Post by Ryan ET »

Wicked another 31! My 31 pinto has a Ca18det and hauls ass for a stocky. Get some pics up.
1984 N12 PULSAR ET - T25G HIGH MOUNT, MICROTECH MT8, EGI ILET MANIFOLD, 300x600x80 COOLER, STANDARD THROTTLE BODY!!!!, BES TURBO TIMER, AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

yeah thats what i did, had ET, bought 31, now i have like 10 of them in my backyard and the poor ET is wasting away cause RWD ftw :P

make sure you sign up to www.r31skylineclub.com if you already havent, im shanec86 on there as well..
Damo

Post by Damo »

shanec86 wrote:yeah thats what i did, had ET, bought 31, now i have like 10 of them in my backyard and the poor ET is wasting away cause RWD ftw :P

make sure you sign up to www.r31skylineclub.com if you already havent, im shanec86 on there as well..
Nice work Shane.
I would realy hope not to have to sell off the ET, so I could stay close to the start of my car obssesion, and not loose too much respect for the lowly fwd. Also, I still haven't achived what I want to with the ET, but that may have to eventuate through another down the track.

I tried to sign up last night, but I was rejected casue my email provider is free or something weird like that. :? I will have to use the wiffys account.

I think I may have had a small win today also. As per my first post, I'm quite sure it has spun a big end.
Was at my olds and having a quick look over the 31, hooked up the oil pressure switch and kicked it in the guts. I was expecting the oil light to stay fully lit, but it went out after the normal 1 sec or so. There is still a miss, but most of the recket had gone. Funny buggers going on I think!

Damo

tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Stuck valve?

L8tr
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

tired rb30's get pretty noise lifters, i'd be at least changing the oil.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Had another quick little play with it today.

It is quite surprising how standard the whole bay is! All the wiring is where it should be, all the bracketing and bolts are there, even the sparky lead clips are intact. Even down to the abrasion prevention corroguated split conduit on leads 4,5, and 6.
Pulled the rocker cover off, very little sludge under the cover. :D There was a little slop in a couple of the lifters, so I will probably need to run a flush, or clean them up somehow. Threw it back together again.

I noticed that the dizzy looked as though it was pushed to the limit of its adjustment, so a quick little adjustment was needed. Tried to start it again, but it didn't want to play. Had another looky in the bay, and a hose from the idle motor had come loose. Tightend that one up and tried again. This time it fires up and settles to a smooth idle with 10secs of light peddle. To my surprise the rackett from the last couple of sessions has dissapeared, and the engine miss had gone (Put this one down to a loose lead which I may have re-attached properly). I set the timing at 17deg in the interem which brings the dizzy closer to where it should be in its adjustment.
Listening in the bay, there is a slight sucking sound, so I have a looky around and low and behold, there is vac hose which has come off. Re-attach and the idle speed comes up a couple hundred rpm. Trace out the hose, and it runs to the fuel pressure reg!
The idle is smooth, with a slight melody playing from the lifters. Schooooit! :D

Give it a slight rev from the throtal body, and the clunking noise returns at the slightly elevated revs, then goes to nothing back at idle. I'm starting to think loose flywheel or pressure plate!! Which is better than big end, cos its a easy fix. I spose, it was only a matter of time before I got my hands dirty on this one. :roll:

I will have to get the testicle running and out of the garage space so I can get stuck into the 31.

Has anyone had any experience with cleaning lifters? Can you soak them in some fuel and flush em out?

Damo

Damo

Post by Damo »

pics:

I may have to use these puppies on it!

Damo

Ryan ET

Post by Ryan ET »

Nice pick up with the skyline!

I am on the 31 forum too as RYET, its a very very useful forum with an amazing tech section.

I am going through some teething issues with my turbo 31 pinto but love the way it drives. still in love with the et though, just sleeping around a bit hehehe
1984 N12 PULSAR ET - T25G HIGH MOUNT, MICROTECH MT8, EGI ILET MANIFOLD, 300x600x80 COOLER, STANDARD THROTTLE BODY!!!!, BES TURBO TIMER, AUTOMETER BOOST GUAGE.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

rb30ett

k, go

when 31 club gets their search button happening again, look for rb30ett theres a couple of people who have done it with positive results (backyard style mind you, not some $20,000k engine)
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

you know what i never understood, why turf an RB30ET out of a VL/T / 31 S-liner for a bloody RB20DET? :?
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

^^^ ooooh :roll: spam. fantastic :evil:
Damo

Post by Damo »

shanec86 wrote:rb30ett

k, go

when 31 club gets their search button happening again, look for rb30ett theres a couple of people who have done it with positive results (backyard style mind you, not some $20,000k engine)

Na, wait till the 25 head swap for the twins, so RB30DETT FTW!
My mechanic mate does a few Skylines, so I should be able to get hold of a set of GTR exy's, I'll mod them up to take the VG T3 flanges.

Damo