N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Tassuperkarts Tragedies

Anything and everything thats not N12 related.
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

tassuperkart wrote:I always tend to race with some extra rearward bias to help drift the car up and help inityially into turns under braking.
Its an acquired taste to have braking that way and can result in some rather interesting moments if treated with disrespect!
That definitely sounds like expert braking... great if you can handle it! 8)
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
Damo

Post by Damo »

tassuperkart wrote:Ok, first, the EVO disks are 280mm and the stocks are 240mm along with a significant increase in pad area.
As a matter of interest, they are the same diameter as my 300zx disks!

I fitted up the other side, did a quick gravity bleed and went for a spin for some impressions.
First couple of minutes was spent bedding the old pads in which also revealed that the wheel bearings on one side were munted. Making a fair whack of grumbling. Oh well.

After some initial bedding in i did some hard stops from various speeds and my initial concerns on the front bias are right. Its very prone to locking fronts on hard applications.
On the track, Id say this setup would result in considerably slower times.

The pedal is a bit "longer" at the minute, altho i only did a ghetto gravity bleed and I know there is some air in the rear system from the last time I had it apart so is expect the pedal to come back a bit after a thorough bleed of the entire system.

The pedal "feel" is actually quite good, about the same as stock Id say and the brakes pull up horrendously hard from very high speeds. The car feels like it wants to do a handstand!
The old pads fitted look like some kind of metallic sort of thing and are fairly affected by being cold but these are not the final pads.

I have a brand new set of modified disks and pads to fit once I have them slotted. This is mostly for wank.
I happen to like the look of slotted rotors.

Im thinking there needs to be a significant upgrade to the rear disks to match the fronts for those who are contemplating useing these brakes on a track car tho.
For a road car, they feel bloody powerful and smooth but frontend lockups are fairly easy with spirited braking.

L8r
E
Why not try to use a master cylinder off the GL/GX to beef up the rear bias.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Ok, theres a thought.
Anybody got one?
L8r
E
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

I'm interested in the difference you get....for what bias change.
C
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

E,
Get anywhere with this?

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Still looking for a MS M8. Someone offered me one but just didnt bother with sending me a pix to see if its the correct type.
Will keep you posted tho.
L8r
E
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I ended up trying the GX MC. It helped but the braking bias is just still too rearwards for good braking.
In a dead straight line it pulls up well with minimal pedal effort but turn the wheel just a bit and it pinches the inside corner wayy too easy.
I have an idea and when i find some parts ill write back on it.

Now for anybody interested, Ive been quiet on the "Ute of death" for a while now but i got a little busy this weekend.
I scored myself a Garret GT3540 off a late model Ford XR-6 Turbo for the right price.
Nothing too wrong with the T66 and has performed well to date but I am chasing a little more middle range stonk and flexibility which the big T66 just cant deliver.
The laser cut dump flange finally arrived along with a gasket kit for the GT3540 so i set to work to fit up and adapt the 3540 onto the existing dump.
Took a fair bit of work to get the sucker in tho with the usual disassembly of the turbo to rotate housings and relocate the wastegate actuator. I was lucky that the wastegate actuator bolted back on in the new position was close enough to require the actuator arm to simply be bent into a new shape to attach back onto the flap. Took a lot of time to get the arm bent to the right shape as it required several compound bends but it all works nicely and looks neater than stock since the can is hidden away much lower down now.

Installed:

The nice cone shaped pod filter I originally had wont fit onto the smaller inlet snout of the 3540 so i managed to jam this old thing on as a temporary measure to keep rocks, hands and large mice out!!!!

Final job was to fabricate up the dump adapter and I was not too keen on cutting up the old dump which took so many hours to fabricate in the first place.
Anyway, out with the pipe cutter and whip off the tapered section and i fabricated up a new dump top section.
Fairly time consuming little job and my welding is not very neat but in my defence, I always seem to have trouble welding that aluminised (coated) pipe to plain uncoated pipe despite thoroughly grinding back the joint area. Unfortunately, it was the only pipe I had laying around.....mah!
Oh well...excuses/details!

Like this:

That section to bring the wastegate outlet back in is just a section of 3" pipe but it took a surprising amount of time to cut it out and beat it into shape to look at least half reasonable.............

Last job is to connect up the water line but thats for tomorrow as i dont have enough silicone tubing to do the job.

I took the ute up the road for a quick spin for an impression and the turbo spools much quicker than the T66 and is significantly less laggy.
Boost is currently set to 10psi and the turbo spins up smoothly and easily. Power builds much quicker than the T66 but still quite progressively and makes controlling the inevitable wheelspin in the first couple of gears an easy task. The thing simply fries tyres from as low as 2800rpm in 2nd and pull strongly right up to the low 6300rpm limiter.
The 3540 will still make a couple of psi boost as low as 2000rpm making the engine much more flexible than before despite the larger rear housing A/R of the Ford XR-6t turbo.

Its surprising how much different the exhaust note is now with this turbo/dump setup when idling about. Its not any louder, its just different. I wouldnt have thought this would make any difference but it has.
I was lucky that the cooler pipes were a very simple task to re-attach as well. The turbo outlet on the 3540 is smaller than the T66 but fortunately, I had a leftover silicone 2.5"-2.0" reducer 30Deg. elbow hanging around from an earlier setup. Simply loosen and adjust the position of the piping and voila! No cutting or shutting required! Yay! Looks ghetto but I dont care. It works!.

All in all an excellent "upgrade" from the big T66. Only thing is the 3540 is very quiet until it really gets into business and makes that beautiful clean whistle, like a large truck turbo, unlike the wheezing screaming whistle the T66 makes. Its a bit of a shame really as I love the turbo noise that comes with the T66! Oh well! Also, the insane turbo fluttering, while still there, is far less obtrusive now. I have a large BOV that I still havent fitted yet will hopefully quieten that down!

Anyway, next job is to fit the bigger injectors and give it a 16psi tune....

L8r
Evan
baz

Post by baz »

Love the write up :) ..Now that T66 with go perfectly on my SR..Went & seen Kutzi up at pro automotive today..His going to tune my car in 2 weeks time :) ..I said I'm going a T66 and he said with the housing i mentioned to him, He said it will be laggy but will make good power
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

I reckon it would be good for 30psi plus but will need a few revs on to bring it on.
Newhoo, it sitting here if you want to have a look at it.
L8r
E
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

i need to put the T66 on my infiniti... mmm VH45 turbo?
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Farken Vroooom.. pschhhtt!

L8r
Oracle
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Not a lot going until recently.

Wifeys ET has been rattling and smoking away but running like a dream untill recently. Poofter of a thing dropped a cylinder but when revved up it runs sort of ok. Sounds like a Rex at low revs.
Did a compression test and barely 30 psi on #4...phooey. im guessing a burnt exhaust valve on #4.

I didnt take any pix. You all know what and engine/transmission looks like!

A while back, Jazza brought the old "Cyber" ET down to my place and with the help of his brother and ETKing, we reduced it to tears and as a token of appreciation, Jazz left his old engine and gearbox with me. It has always been destined to go into the wifeys Pullstart as her motor, altho sweet running, is very rattly and smokey.

So other day, I took to the shitter and within 1.5 hours, I had the engine out and on the floor.
The replacement motor was only missing the inlet and turbo manifolds so a quick changeover and its ready to go back in.
As a precaution, I swapped the cam belt as wifeys was replaced quite recently.
Also had to R and R the waterpump inlet nozzle as the one on the motor was badly rusted and the heater line had been welded up so out with the gas axe and with a bit of encouragement, it was out. same with the original one which was in perfect condition so got that one out, cleaned up the housing with and emery mop in the dremel, flopped on some Stag sealant and bashed the replacement home.

Over the last couple of nights, I have been spending and hour or so hooking everything back up and it fired into life on the first turn of the key last night.
Finished it all off this arvo and took it for a test run and it pulls strongly and cleanly with zero smoke. Gearbox is good and the clutch is easy to use.

The car had a bone stock pea-shooter exhaust fitted that was leaking badly around the muffler. ETKing had kindly donated his old 2.5" zorst system with custom dump a fair while back and with a few modification, its now hanging on the car. This system is actually pretty badly made but it does not leak, always made surprisingly good power with a nice note on Josh's car with little if any droning in the car at all but is a little bit too hooligan sounding with the single cannon for the wifey so later on Ill have a decent 2.5" muffler fitted on the arse same as my Pullstart which sounds really trick!!!!.

Next job before wifey returns from holidays interstate is to fit up the full set of slotted brake disks which once lived on my Pullstart and replace a couple of slightly noisy wheel bearings in the drivers side front.

Oracle
BennyET

Post by BennyET »

Tragic. What else did you get up to? :P
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense.
etking

Post by etking »

gees we are good to you!
Members Ride: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=6786
85 ET, M/tech LT10X, T28, FMIC 2.5" Stainless Piping, 3" Intake, Dump n Zorst, JDM Inlet, CA18DET Injectors, Bosch 040, Bodykit, 17s
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Awwwwwwwwwwwww...........................!!