N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Beastly Shopping car ET *Engine Bay pics updated*

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
enthrall

Beastly Shopping car ET *Engine Bay pics updated*

Post by enthrall »

I picked this up some time ago and intended to use it as a shopping car for picking up groceries and the like... N12 pulsars, Aussie built, and cheap to pick up parts for, easy to work on, runs off the smell of an oily rag.
yeah, well, i ended up getting the turbo ET version by accident because i was desperate for some wheels at the time, and this one was convenient.

Spent the first day with it taking it for a burn around locally... and it was such a fun little car to drive the whole shopping car idea went out the window rather quickly. It's going to be a project now i'm in love with it. =)

Problem is, i know very, very little about this car and it's history... or what has been done to it.
It feels very, very quick, and seems to get up to 70 in second gear before i realise what has happened after it's warmed up and on boost! (speedo could be faulty though)

All i know about it is that it originated from sunbury victoria, and spent some time on the island around nine years ago.

Knowing what i have on my hands is the first step before i decide what i'm going to do with it next! Current plans are only to do some work on the interior, get the ciggo and maccas smell out of it, and have the stereo running again.

Anyone recognise it? Know what is probably in it?
(let me know what is total rubbish in it, and what is worth conserving)

Known and Suspected Mods:

King springs- front
Front bar bodykit (what kit is it? wouldn't mind getting some sideskirts for it to match)
"speedy" 5 spoke alloys (cheapies i think- anyone had a bad experience with this brand? thinking i may replace them with someting more solid looking)
S/S canon exhaust
tinted windows
Mica Paintwork

4 wheel disc brakes (yellow calipers)
Intercooler
Blow off valve
Larger Radiator
custom air intake pod and filter
2-3" custom intake pipework
ECU possibly not standard.

* NEW ENGINE BAY SHOTS*

Last edited by enthrall on Sat May 12, 2012 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

How can an et radiator get any bigger, lol. I do like n12's and am building one but they feel a lot quiker than they actually are. Your surrounded by glass and the sound deadening isn't the best so they feel like a rocket. Or it could be heavily modded, I haven't seen it before though I don't really keep an eye out for em. Though if came from sunbury it's probably bullet proof and been used in a bank rob or 2haha. Seriously it's hard unless you send some engine pics from different angles. What makes you think the ecu is aftermarket. I only say this cos it's usually very obvious. It concerns me theres an autobahn sticker on the bonnet. Sometimes a sign of the weekend warrior running infinite boost. You got yourself a nice shopping trolley though good stuff.
" Friends may come and go but 200lbs is always 200lbs " - Henry Rolland -
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

I'm suspicious that the ECU is aftermarket because a lot of what i think are sensors etc dont look particularly standard, and look a lot newer than the rest of the car.

Like i said, it feels pretty quick- but then again, this is the first trubo car i have ever driven, so my opinion doesnt count for much.

The effort the previous owners put into installing the whopping big intercooler suggests that other money may have been put into it.

Someone local does recognise the pic, but they said last time they saw it it had upgraded pistons, cams, and a heavily ported head.
It allegedly made a ridiculous amount of noise. Mine is fairly quiet- no worse than an average WRX or suchlike.

Engine bay pics coming soon anyway! :_

Any ideas where the ECU could be hiding?? not in the engine bay as far as i can tell, and looked under the dash, but no joy.

There is a ridiculous amount of pipework in the bay, so it seems that things have been moved about quite a bit in there.

As you can guess, this will be my first project car.
Joined this forum so i can get a few pointers on getting this into peak condition again- it seems pretty sound in general.
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

The turbo it is running on is an "airresearch"..on the compressor case, but has a garrett plaque on the space between the turbine and the compressor
baz

Post by baz »

You have yourself a standard turbo there buddy, The car does look familiar tho
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute
Andjeti

Post by Andjeti »

The ECU can be found under the passenger seat (if stock)

Jay
"Dog's go Woof Woof. Wog's go Doof Doof"
ET Turbo Decal Reproductions
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Went a bit crazy taking pics in the engine bay there, but oh well.

I took them, so may as well put them up.

Looking critically at the thing, there seems to be a hell of a lot of random pipes that just stick out of holes here and there on/ just below the (throttle body?) near where the maze of piping from the intercooler finally makes it to the engine.
They are plugged and clamped- mildly distrubing. They must have served a purpose at some point.
Only thing i can see that is possibly noncritical and definitely disconnected is what i think is a "charcoal cannister".. but that only accounts for two of the four or more pipes i can see that are bolted sealed shut with a clamp.

To the left of the turbine, there is also a shiny little pipe sticking out- (see pics).. it looks suspiciously like an oil line. It goes nowhere, and is BLOCKED UP. (EEK) Any ideas what the hell it is?

Got a gregory's N12 manual coming in the mail next week, and looking forward to learning a bit more about it!
dexi_styles

Post by dexi_styles »

Your best of buying the ET supplement book or full book for n12 turbo from www.pitstop.net.au

It's a God send!

Dex
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=446 Benny's Old Dog....
Bringing New life to the Young Dog...
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=348
josh strong

Post by josh strong »

let me know if this ever comes up for sale got a few mint things laying around waiting for a rego body :)
ET! ,T25G ,BRAIDED LINES, FRONT MOUNT ,EXTERNAL GATE, EGI INTAKE, FPR, VL TB, VLT FUEL PUMP, CA18DET INJECTORS, 16 PSI!
amraks

Post by amraks »

that car is from wynyard area I think.
Amraks
amraks

Post by amraks »

Are you by chance from the northwest of tas?

I do know the owners of a ET this color, I am unsure if he owns it still.
Amraks
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Just finished my exams this weekend, so the car can get some attention again. :D looking forward to doing a proper health check on it and taking it for a burn!
bog standard looking shiny silver nissan ecu case was found under the passenger seat, thanks anj.
So nothing special in that department.
All this stock stuff is great from an insurance perspective tho. :D
nah, not in northwest tas mate. Could have been driven over tho i guess.
What goodies did it have installed when you knew it?
The paintwork has a glitter fleck in it, so its fairly unique.
amraks

Post by amraks »

I doubt its the sameone if it has glitter power lol.
Amraks
enthrall

Post by enthrall »

Lol. Yeah, the sparkly council worker jacket orange took a while to get used to.. Tis a bit glaring on the eyes to say the least. I kind of like it now tho. :D
amraks

Post by amraks »

yeah thats a nice colour I have always considered orange as a good colour.

But this car should look good if you decide to get the body kit.
Amraks