N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Callumgw - 84 EXA

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

don't reckon they could get much closer :lol:

not sure what the cause is yet....but reckon Ill just rebuild the other engine that was my intention from before and swap then pull it down to find the issue.
might need a turbo too.....
C
TurboZ.Dude

Post by TurboZ.Dude »

IIRC the spark plug starts to look like that when the cylinder in question is running too lean... clogged injector perhaps?
My N12:
http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=4926,
http://www.zxoc.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6345
http://forums.mightycarmods.com/showthr ... Pulsar-N12
in all honesty dude these cars are shit but they have so much character, are fun and go fairly well when running right. we still play around with these things because they are a fun addictive little shitbox! :D - Ash
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

Hmm, bummer.
Timmzy

Re; Shitfish.

Post by Timmzy »

Callum. Bummer.

Sorry I wasn't there to help out....Does the engine start/run with another set of plugs in it? Because I reckon you did a great job to limp it home from Sandown given the condition of the plugs !! :)

Has the electrode been welded or has it been hit onto the plug?

It looks to me as if it has been hit because the electrode looks bent down onto the plug - but maybe the photo's are deceiving.

Are the shiny bits in the second photo just water droplets or pieces of engine??

Maybe it was a turbo collapsing which shoved oil/turbo fins into the inlet? Or maybe it TurboZdude was on the money with lean out?

Looks like you just found a use for that spare engine I was gonna buy off you :) haha

Nothing quite like a engine rebuild project - at least you can do it your way and put the Haltech on while you are there.

Give me a yell if you want a hand to get it out/rebuild/drinkbeer/assemble the engine.

Darren.
Race it.
japcrap

Post by japcrap »

bit off topic what area are you from timmzy?
Nature makes only dumb animals. We owe the fools to society.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

looks like detonation
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Jap -> Chadstone area mate.

Ash -> Do you mean across cross all four plugs? Or just that one? Are you talking about the oil on all four plugs? I am not really sure.....

When I have seen a serious lean out, the whole end of the electrode was a little ball of metal that didn't resemble the end of spark plug at all.

I haven't actually seen a spark plug like that before....

Darren.
Race it.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Well had a look at the turbo (compressor side) and it looks and feels ok, no side play, no end play...

Compression test on number 2 give 0psi.....oops.

The water droplets - for you keen eyed folks - are cause it was raining a bit when I took them out and took photos with the car on the lawn.

Yep it runs (like a dog!). With all the oil through the intake track my second guess (putting turbo aside) is the inlet valve. But we'll find out soon enough.

C
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

OK I have had a look at those pics, and from what you describe i think cylinder 2 can be catorgerised as "fucked in the Bum"

sorry couldnt help myself :P

Maybe you should take up walking or riding in a bus your not having much luck with vehicles at this current point in time.
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Panda_ET wrote:not having much luck with vehicles at this current point in time.
I didn't mentiont he trip to casualty the week before when I jammed my finger in the windscreen wiper motor.... yep clutz doing somethign I knew I shouldn't do. Didn't think it would bite me but...once it did it took 5 minute for the wife kids and neighbour to get hte 12mm spanner so I could back it of and get the little finger out. made the nurses go "oooowwww" . . feeling is slowly returning...

C
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

buy yourself some nice Asics shoes and starta' walkin lol
Low Slow and Sarcastic
Always Oscar Mike on the AO

www.twitter.com/garagepanda for my latest Inane comments

www.TasSportImages.com
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

wife reckons thats three strikes so now should be safe :?

C
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

Timmzy wrote:Ash -> Do you mean across cross all four plugs? Or just that one? Are you talking about the oil on all four plugs? I am not really sure.....
well definitely number 2 and number 1 doesn't look to good either. 3 and 4 look reasonable.
i'm not talking about the water on the plugs either. just the shit stuck on the 1st and second plugs. melted piston/rings? i've had my fair share of detonation trust me! :oops: :D
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

It was running stock boost and a stock overpressure valve. That said boost on the back straight it would hit 0.5kg/cm2 and on the front straight it hit 0.9kg/cm2, with one spike to 1.0kg/cm2. Not sure why front straight and back straights boost were different, but on the three laps it happened each time.

C
Timmzy

RE:

Post by Timmzy »

Well that's interesting.

Back straight is a steady climb upward for 3/4 of rear straight - Front straight is pretty much flat/maybe a little downhill toward the end -- in terms of geography.

Have you got one of those little T-junction ball boost controllers? That's the only thing I can think of that may be effected by pitch of the car?

Something didn't agree with the wastegate if it was overboosting...what was the overboost valve doing?

Ash -> I didn't see plug number 1 good spot - its gone too - or well on its way.

Darren
Race it.