N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Timmzy's ET

The place to introduce yourself, post photos and specs of your car.
Timmzy

Timmzy's ET

Post by Timmzy »

Name: Darren/Timmzy - dtimms@tpg.com.au
Year/ Model: 1985 ET Turbo
Colour: Standard resprayed Standard Nissan White, original color.
Period of ownership: 4.5 Years

Performance: Don't know, used to go really well before I touched it! When it was stock.

ENGINE SYSTEM:
-Rebuilt 80thou oversize bores
-Arias Forged Pistons
-1688cc capacity
-E16, 1.6L crank, linished and prepared for new bearings, Obviously
-Standard linished and polished conrods
-New Main, Conrod, jackshaft, cam-journal bearings.
-All the rest of everything to complete a rebuild gaskets, seals, etc
-Lightened and machined flywheel
-Balanaced crank, flywheel and pressure plate.
-'Stage 5' cam, as per the spec sheet. Re-built stripped Distributor Drive
-FJ20DET Injectors in a custom plenum (Welded to original runners)
-VL Auto Throttle body (To give me a linear TPS voltage, not 'ON/OFF')
-AutoXS Intercooler, bar +plate. 700mm X 380 X 90
-Custom Piping, powdercoated white
-Custom Steam Pipe Exhaust manifold
-Custom 3inch dump pipe with separate 'screamer' pipe
-^Exiting through 3inch Exhaust, straight through with some big 5inch gay stainless muffler on the end.
-RB25DET 1997 Model ceramic turbo (Just Blown July 06)

IGN SYSTEM
- Wolf 3D V4 Firing...
- 2X M+W 9A Ignition Modules Firing...
- 4X Bosch MEC Ignition Coils.

FUEL SYSTEM
- Stock :shock: haha
- Bosch Adjustable Fuel Pressure Reg.
- Obviously being very careful here! I have the bits, fuel pumps etc, just not the money atm to complete!! Just blew turbo.

DATA SYSTEM
- Wolf Engine management Dash (Haven't received just yet)
- Standard Wolf Hand Controller
- Iceman Data Logger
- APEXi RSM for G-Force data
- Custom Switch box for direct, automatic or manual control over computer outputs
- Yes I am an electrical person and I like my electrons so leave me alone :)
- A 130amp alternator to run all of my electrical shite. Probably sucking more horsepower than I would like to think. meh

Interior Mods:
- Well it looks like a fricken space ship with all those lights/electrical devices in there.
- Stripped interior
- Re-painted interior including cage in standard White
- Six-Point roll cage
- Race Seats, nothing special
- Special 'Darren' manufactured aluminium brace to hold my electrical shite. I now need another for my laptop
- Will purchase some harness' when required. When the car actually runs.

Exterior Mods:
- Resprayed in original White by myself
- standard front spoiler
- Lots of custom powdercoated brackets up the front to hold the damn cooler in place.

Wheels:
- 6X Standard Wheels for racing, with shite re-caps on them.
- Set of copied Lenso Concept 5 17inch rims for the road and run-about
- Not bother with good race tyres just yet, until I need them. I think the car has to be running first.

Other:
BRAKING SYSTEM

- In the process of doing the Magna conversion, note taking and picture taking for everyones benefit.
- Standard rears

SUSPENSION SYSTEM
Front
- Currently Pedders re-co'd and re-valved for cicuit/club racing? They seem good, but its a compromise and I don't like them.

Rear
- Stock and nasty. Oh apart from Lowered King Springs.

Future Plans:
Endless finances would have me do the following Immediately:
- CMS Coilovers
- Koni Adj on rear. They can be done despite what people think. They are $480 though, because they have to be custom built.
- Whiteline swaybars front and rear
- Nolathane bushes all-round
- Strut brace, will proabably do that once Struts go in
- Custom swirl-pot that fits into wheel well
- 2 sets of racing tyres... Wets and drys!
- And finally a trailer to tow it around! Thats it, thats all I want. I am slowly getting there

Pics: I will work out this Photobucket thing and get back to you.

Thanks for looking. Currently, the engine was ready for its first dyno, since computer re-wire and I was backing out of mates house onto the road, then suddenly, the infamous cloud of white smoke. This was early July.

So I put it straight back into garage and am currently saving for turbo rebuild. Going to re-build that turbo with a steel exhaust wheel. I bought this turbo second hand and it hadn't been used for several months, so this should not have been un-expected. No shaft play on the turbo though.

I have a heap of bits that need putting back on, so its probably not all bad, but the re-build we be expensive. I can't put a T2 series turbo back on because the flange is now different to suit skyline.

Ah well, thats cars for you.

Darren.
dahurldog

Post by dahurldog »

sounds like it will be fuckin nuts man

what head gasket u got? how much boost are you hoping to run?
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

I wanna see pix

I'm going for that "space ship" look myself, but I'm trying to find a way to integrate my laptop into the glovebox.
Ash
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ash »

what's this "spaceship" look? ah who cares. sounds like a wicked fast setup you've got there. will be good to see the pics!
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

:D LOL

More of a joke dude.
I've just got soooo many gadgets, switches, buttons and bitz 'n' pieces that it looks like a friggin' spaceship.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Wow, they were some quick responses!

Here are the pics!! I hope they work
P3280024.jpg
P3280023.jpg
P3220005.jpg
P8100039.jpg
P8100038.jpg
P8100032.jpg
P8100030.jpg
P8100024.jpg
P8100013.jpg
P8100009.jpg
P8100006.jpg
P8100003.jpg
P8100001.jpg
P3070021.jpg
P3070048.jpg
P3070026.jpg
P3070019.jpg
P3210022.jpg
P8100032.jpg
P3210032.jpg

There is quite a few and they are big so Look out!!

These pics were taken toward the start of this year like March timeframe. This has prompted me to take some more very shortly, the car is much more together looking these days. It had to be so I could gently drive it to dyno!!

Didn't get that far though dammit. Turbo's are expensive.

Laptop in the glovebox is a great idea, but I already have my ECU hidden in there!! And I also need quick access to it when tuning and stuffing around, so it needs to be a little more accessable for me. Like in the Center console or something.

Enjoy.

*Fixed by The Renegade*
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Holy sh!t, I only posted in short cuts to photobucket not actual pics, I didn't think they would do that.

Moderators can you please fix, I didn't mean to post actual pics, just the short cuts to them via photobucket!!

I have never done that before sorry if it takes up some serious room on the server, feel free to delete.

Headgasket? Well its a standard Nissan item and it hasn't given me problems. Having said that its never really been under some serious stress. The block has been o-ringed, as well.

Darren.
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

Nice work.
Whats the iceman datalogger?
I'm looking for a datalogger to use with my wolf (no the new wolf one doesn't cut it if you've ever used it you'll know what i mean)
Also i'm interested in how you setup your ignition and what it cost. Can't you use the wolf's ignitors then just use four bosche coils?

Are you running sequential ignition and injection? Mine is in batch ATM but i want to modifiy the cam trigger and run sequential.
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

The Iceman is an older system designed for go-Karts. I don't know whether they sell them any more, they were around $500 new. They don't data log much better than the Wolf really. But they have lap timers and a couple of other cool things. Probably not worth it, but I got mine with everything included for a little less.

There are other cheaper and better data-loggers out there now, this unit is several years old. But it entertains me.

My Ignition.... Well that's been a problem for me. Get ready for a read.

It all started with the pictured LS1 coils fired directly off the Wolf 3D. That worked well until I in-advertantly changed the software firing of the injectors. This caused some misfiring to occur which was incorrectly blamed on the coils.

So I started again and spent $350 for Wolf recommended M+W modules and $35 X 4 = $140 on Bosch MEC coils all brand new.

So the next time I started the car it was doing exactly the same thing as before, so it was a very expensive excercise, but my Ignition system will probably never need to be touched again.

You can't use the Wolf's ignition outputs to drive the coils, they are not powerful enough and you risk damage to the ECU. You need some intermediate modules. You could use X 4 ET transistors, which are incidently, the same as VL ones. This would cheap.

I am running sequential Fuel and Ignition, with a modified crank-angle sensor disk. This is actually quite easy to do, although I didn't do mine!! I didn't have a high speed drill press, nor a carbide drill.

Sequential fuel and IGN is very interesting to setup in the computer. You can actually follow the engine by watching the diagnostic LEDS on the ECU at idle. It just shows you how fast things are being thrown around inside the engine. Its amazing that these things actually work!!

Darren.
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

I've always been keen on the Wolf 3D.. ever since i went to a launch seminar 6-7 years ago.. I have also been interested in why most E15ET woners go for the Microtech and not the Wold 3D as they are about the same price..

Your project looks fantastic dude, cant wait to hear how it goes. i imagine pretty bloody quick.. but i know there's more to it than that.
BQ.05.TD

Post by BQ.05.TD »

this car is of da hook. that 6 point weld in cage makes my bont 4 point bolt in cage look like a skool girl at a mothers meating lol

ya car is wicked man i love it. im shore it will bloody hammer when finished

as for the wolf3d and microtech. i can get me microtech LT10s for $980 and wolf for like 1300-1400. and not many people in my area knwo how to tune a wolf.
each to there own i gues
Panda_ET

Post by Panda_ET »

Ben Hewitson wrote:I've always been keen on the Wolf 3D.. ever since i went to a launch seminar 6-7 years ago.. I have also been interested in why most E15ET woners go for the Microtech and not the Wold 3D as they are about the same price..

Your project looks fantastic dude, cant wait to hear how it goes. i imagine pretty bloody quick.. but i know there's more to it than that.
cos wolfs can be a pain in the ass and unreliable thats the reason i chose microtech :)

anyway nice ride mate should go well witha decent turbs on it
raddavey

Post by raddavey »

unreliable? once its all tuned i've never had a problem. Things stay the same. I dont find it that hard to tune, you just have to know what each setting does.

Definetly go for the ECU that your tuning can tune. Yes in some states wolf tuners are hard to come by (there are only 2or 3 in wa that do it)
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Thanks for the comments, its been off the road for a long time and I am looking forward to giving it its berries.

Interesting comments about the Wolf. I suppose everyone will always go with what is recommended by others. Some of those people are tuners themselves, and have to make a buck. So they would choose the quickest to install and setup, to make the most out of their time. Microtech is easier to setup in my opinion. That would explain it I think.

But in terms of reliability, I have never seen a Wolf or Microtech physically die. All Hardware problems I have seen have been faulty wiring, including my car. Or people accidently flicking a Wolf over to the cartidge maps not realising, making it 'look' like tuning points have disapeared. When in reality it was just a mis-understanding. I have seen this happen twice. Its actually quite a good feature, if you know how to use it.

I chose to purchase a programmable computer that had more features and tuneability for me because I wanted to install and tune it. And I wanted laptop tuning as a feature, and at that time Microtech did not have anything like that.

You can't afford to have something like an ECU be unreliable. Remember the wiring in our cars is at best 20 years old, mine was older. When I ripped mine out I found some surprises and some bared/stripped wires where they shouldn't have been.

Wolf is in depth and really interesting in my opinion. And was a good choice for me for the $$$$, but someone else might just want to do some mods, get the ECU fitted and get it tuned and then done. Good, that's what they are for.

Darren.
The Renegade
Administrator
Administrator

Post by The Renegade »

Fixed your pix dude.
If you just want them to show up as links, hit the "URL" tag button rather than the "IMG" tag.
Cheers.