N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

How to change valve stem seals without removing the head.

Post your articles here for review
SashET

Post by SashET »

Cheer's Jayman,
After reading this artical thoroughly, I managed to do this over the weekend without much trouble at all. You are 100% right about having a spare rail to work with and not care if it gets bent whilst doing this procedure. It is difficult to describe in words what you have to do, but once you get the jist, its all very easy. I will take a picture or two from my spare engine and post them up here for others facing the same difficulty. Many thanks for posting this up here, great work.

Cheer's
Sash
Ben Hewitson

Post by Ben Hewitson »

AHAH. yeah Jayman likes to cut and paste articles from other websites..

credits to Mattybaby for this info.. as Jay wouldn't know what an alternator looked like..
boost_truck_racer

mmmm...

Post by boost_truck_racer »

using this method it is possible to bend exhaust valves
a better idea is to smash the middle out of an old spark plug and weld a air compressor fitting to it.
thread in to spark plag hole and conect air line from compressor
this holds the valves in the head
now you can push down on valve retainers with an open ended spanner and remove the collets
this method doesnt require the crank to be rotated and may save you a few hundred bucks in removing the head and replacing a valve.
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

Hey BTR,
Just did the procedure listed above, but afterwards thought Id try to crack open a spark plug like you suggest, but try to smash the centre out, but without much luck. How'd you get the ceramic center out?

C