N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Hop ups for an NA N12

General chat related to anything N12.
jarlenfos

Hop ups for an NA N12

Post by jarlenfos »

Hey guys,
My exhaust needs to be replaced as it is full of rust and being the tinkerer I am I thought it might be a good idea to put fab up a larger diameter exhaust + free flowing muffler + some headers while I am at it. Then that led to the thought that maybe I should chuck a weber 32/36 on while I'm at it, which then led to maybe if I am doing that I might as well have a cam grind done too.

All this can be done relatively cheaply for me as apart from buying parts, I can do all the work myself. My question is, is it worth it? This car is just a daily driver and I'm not really a car guy or particularly into fast cars however a little bit of a hop-up would be fun. It's a bit nostalgic for me too as I did all these modifications to my Gemini when I first got my lisence as a teen.

Any recommendations on cam grind? Also, I am looking to try keep the car as quiet as possible and stock looking as possible. Any recommendations on mufflers/resonators would also be welcomed.

Cheers!
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Hop ups for an NA N12

Post by KiloooNL »

I think a cam grind would result in a negligible upgrade to be honest. You'd be better off upgrading the exhaust.
If you go exhaust and you have an NA you wouldn't need to go much bigger than 2", maybe 2 1/4" at most.
Mufflers/resonators.. depends if you want maximum volume or not I suppose.

NA just isn't really worth spending big bucks on the upgrades, you're better off throwing an e15et engine, bigger turbo and supporting mods then have a nice smile on your face!