N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Set timing and TDC on E15(S)

General chat related to anything N12.
daniel.evans

Post by daniel.evans »

Hi All

just found this forum so it's good to know all you are out there.

I've just bought a Nissan S Cargo which has the E15(S) engine in there I believe. The car is barely idling and the only way I got it to do this was by pushing the distributor as far back as it allowed, if I slide it forward then it pretty much conks out.

I'm putting this down to timing and I wonder if the timing belt has been set up correctly after changing it.

Can anyone tell me the proper procedure for setting up the timing belt?

I'm not a mechanic put fairly good with my hands I just don't know the proper terms for stuff.

From what I understand, I need to set the crank (bottom part) to TDC, this is done by lining up the marks on the wheel with the mark on the engine. From what I remember there are 5 or 6 marks on the engine and one of those needs to line up with the wheel. I believe this is lined up on 0.

Then I need to line up the mark on the cam with the one on the engine, there are a triangle and a circle and I believe this is lined up with the circle.

What I don't get is if that is right, how is my distributor so far out?

I also don't get what BTDC or ATDC is, should that be done on the crank and not at 0 as I have it?

Thanks
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Post by KiloooNL »

Hey mate!

Welcome to the forum, first and foremost.
If you have a look at this post I think you'll find all the info you're looking for: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=7302

The NA & Turbo heads both require different rotations. The above link will provide what rotation will suit you.
BTDC = before top dead center (retarded timing)
ATDC = after top dead center (advanced timing)