N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Turboing E16i block?

General chat related to anything N12.
boosted

Turboing E16i block?

Post by boosted »

Hey guys,
i can get my hands on a mint E16i engine from a Nissan N13.
It only has 30.000km (granny car) and i thought about using this block to build up a nice e15et from it.

FAST says, the E16i block isn't the same as the E15S block. I reckon its because the E16i may have a knock sensor. Any other ideas where they could differ? Or can i just throw in the turbo-pistons and im good to go?

Second, please help me thinking: Whats the difference between e15 N/A and turbo block?
Only the turbo oil supply is coming to my mind. Is adding a T-piece to the oil pressure sender a good way to go, to make a turbo oil supply?
thanks!
cheers
Martin
Damo

Turboing E16i block?

Post by Damo »

Hi Martin

There is no reason you can't turbo the E16, but as you have already stated, there is no oil feed (which you can definitely rectify with a Tee off the oil pressure switch), you will however, need to have an oil return path. From memory, there is a boss on the front of the engine which can be drilled and inserted with a return pipe. I don't recall if the E16 has this or not, but I would imagine it would be a shared trait. As for the pistons, you may need to be careful what you do, because there is 3mm extra stroke from the crank, and adding the turbo slugs 'may' send the crowns past deck height. You will definitely need to fit and measure.
The E16 rods are the same length as the turbo ones, so no change in deck height there. On the plus side, the turbo rods are more beefy (but both are forged, so well strong enough for moderate power) so if you have a spare set, you can use them.
The heads are quite different in the space in the combustion chamber which allows for valve clearance 'room' at TDC.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
boosted

Turboing E16i block?

Post by boosted »

Thanks Damo,
Sorry, I didn't go into detail enough. Though your E16 info is interesting, I will only use the block(and that only because of the low mileage) - the rest, like crankshaft and pistons, will be E15ET parts.
I was very lucky to find a set of std-size E15ET pistons on the internet incl. rings (sorry guys, it was the last set :-P ), see photo
20180619_204951e15ko.jpg
They really were a steal,
I can only hope, that the E16 bores will be as good as new, as I expect them to be...
Cheers
Martin
KiloooNL
Administrator
Administrator

Turboing E16i block?

Post by KiloooNL »

Nice find boosted!
boosted

Turboing E16i block?

Post by boosted »

Yip, :-)
they are Japan-made and were specified for the USA-E15ET engine (pulsar nx)
I compared them to the Nissan OEM EUR-spec pistons, see photo.
20180620_190709k.jpg
The design and the main dimensions are basically the same, only the witdth of the crown ring seems to differ a bit.
I will check for exact compression volume some time later.
Cheers