N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

standard ,20 thou or 40 thou ? will it make a big difference

General chat related to anything N12.
neoexa

standard ,20 thou or 40 thou ? will it make a big difference

Post by neoexa »

hey guys im building a new bottom end and i just wanted to know if any of you had felt a huge difference between a standard size piston , 20 or 40 thou. also this is a NA engine and im using a 88mm crank (stroker).the car will be a everyday car but i also want good performance from it. i had a billet cam made with a 290 deg duration on both intake and exh. im currently busy doing the head myself (port n polish). i currently have a 40thou stroker bottom end that keeps on blowing head gaskets so im not really enjoying the car as it is too un-reliable. reason for asking is coz i never had a standard size piston with a stroker crank yet and before i waste money i just want some advice from you guys.... any advice would be appreciated. thanks
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

i got 40th turbo piston as for power diffrents you would think so being of higher raito.i run 10 psi boost all day no probs till i over heated it blow between 1/2 as for the prob you having with head gaskets blowing. draw file the block east west {and not with some rusting bit of shit that looked like it was once such a thing} only heavy enough to leave a scratch then see if it miss anyway if it didnt good if it did get a straight edge as long as the block and see if these any light under the ruler(best done in the bark) if that all good with a fine wet n dry and sheet of glass rub the block in a circular motion north south along the block and see if the rub marks on the paper are one complete circular if so then the block is straight we hope. so next is the head is it warped (like me ) put your straight edge and torch back to work again here but i'd be sending it in for the $100 max skim n tidy up just to be safe but last but not lest get some new f cken head bolts stock ones from nissan $98 the bloody things stretch like rubber bands.they a use once then hiok to the shit house item,I thinking new head bolts well see u out on the track a lot longer with them
trust me I learnt the hard way cost me a comtic metal gasket

zoomzooom
tits'n' wheels gotta love'em
neoexa

Post by neoexa »

thanks alot for the advice buddy. i really didnt think about checking for straightness of the head in that particular way(using a file). great idea. thanks
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

not the head it ally only do this to the block,you go draw filing the head you'll take to much off,you only got about a mm to play with for memory 119.2mm minimum thickness, use a straight edge and torte I said to see if the head straight

to be able to read properly is a wonderful thing
Damo

Post by Damo »

zoomzoom wrote:not the head it ally only do this to the block,you go draw filing the head you'll take to much off,you only got about a mm to play with for memory 119.2mm minimum thickness, use a straight edge and torte I said to see if the head straight

to be able to read properly is a wonderful thing
Are you serious! Being able to construct a intelligible sentence is also a wonderful thing. Have you attempted to re-read your own posts?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
zoomzoom

Post by zoomzoom »

So English Professor,what's wrong with what I wrote? other than the grammar

Is it spelt in correctly?

Is what I said in anyway wrong?

Being so smart yourself wouldn't putting correct grammar to any written words you read come naturally?

Back to the question in the thread,

Does the gaskets have any water damage when you take it off?
the reason I ask is if there is,then the block head isn't straight or your head studs are stretch

zoomzoom
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

going from 40thou back to a STD size bore isnt going to fix headgasket issues. How many head gaskets have you had to change? Does it always blow in the same place? (and where is that place).

Have you had the block decked or the head shaved?
Damo

Post by Damo »

zoomzoom wrote:So English Professor,what's wrong with what I wrote? other than the grammar
Being so smart yourself wouldn't putting correct grammar to any written words you read come naturally?
the reason I ask is if there is,then the block head isn't straight or your head studs are stretch
zoomzoom
Your terrible writing/texting style and my suggestion that you re read it before you blame someone for not understanding what you have written, hardly makes me an English professor.

Spelt correctly? No.

Is what you said wrong? The difficulty in understanding what you have written makes it hard to gauge whether it is correct or not!

Being as smart as I may be, I realise that not every person 'you' respond to uses english as a first language, so purposely using incorrect spelling an grammer makes you seem like an uneducated 12 year old. I wouldn't take advice about my car from a 12 year old, and frankly, I don't take criticism from one either, so either try harder at your spelling and punctuation, or keep your advice to yourself if you are going to lash out at the guy you are trying to help after he has already thanked you.

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
chopper

Post by chopper »

Damo wrote:
zoomzoom wrote:So English Professor,what's wrong with what I wrote? other than the grammar
zoomzoom
Your terrible writing/texting style and my suggestion that you re read it before you blame someone for not understanding what you have written, hardly makes me an English professor.

Spelt correctly? No.

Is what you said wrong? The difficulty in understanding what you have written makes it hard to gauge whether it is correct or not!

Being as smart as I may be, I realise that not every person 'you' respond to uses english as a first language, so purposely using incorrect spelling an grammer makes you seem like an uneducated 12 year old. I wouldn't take advice about my car from a 12 year old, and frankly, I don't take criticism from one either, so either try harder at your spelling and punctuation, or keep your advice to yourself if you are going to lash out at the guy you are trying to help after he has already thanked you.

Damo
Agreed - Give everyone 1/2 a chance to undersand you mate. Take the time write properly, or at least clearly.
baz

Post by baz »

Oh wow
My old exa I created from granny spec to a neat little BRIGHT car: http://forum.n12turbo.com/viewtopic.php?t=3903

Current Car: 2004 Vz SS Ute