N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Replacing Head Gasket

General chat related to anything N12.
BlackTalon_88

Replacing Head Gasket

Post by BlackTalon_88 »

Hey guys about to have a go at replacing my first head gasket solo and i have been advised to clean the head threads with a tap & die kit. does anyone know the exact size of the tap and what i should be paying for a kit as i don't have one..

Also i have a new thermostat, gasket kit (head, intake, exhaust, thermostat- think that's all), head studs, 02 sensor & I'm also getting the head checked/planed and a vac test. Unsure of the condition/age of the timing belt tho.

Does this sound good? just don't want to miss anything while i have it all apart..

Also after all that is done I'll be adding an original radiator with thermal switch and thermo fans..
Too much is never enough..
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

M10 x 1.5. Just buy a single plug tap.
best thing to do with the existing timing belt is to cut it off with a knife so your NOT tempted to re-use it.

The secret to a successful and long lasting job is cleanliness!
Spend stupid amounts of time cleaning up the block mating surfaces.
First, grab some pliers and twist out the head alignment dowels.

Roll up some stiff paper or some rag and try to stick it into the holes where the oil is fed and drains back to keep crap out.
Start by hand scraping with a sharp stanley blade type scraper. Be careful not to dig the blade into the surface and scratch it. This is CRUCIAL around the areas adjacent to the bores.
Then you can use some 240 grit wet and dry to clean off really stubborn areas.
Go easy on the wet and dry tho. Just enough to remove anything stubborn.
Try to remove as little metal as possible so go easy.

Run your tap down into the bolt holes to clean them up and blow out with an air gun. Be careful here as those metal and rust shavings will almost ALWAYS end up in your eyes when using high air pressure and an air gun.

Any grit and gunge that finds its way into the open cylinders can be removed with air pressure.

I like to use Prepsol (or thinners) on both head and block surfaces to remove any grime and oil residue.

Thorough preparation is the key!!!

have fun

oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.