N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

rattle noise out of E15ET :(

General chat related to anything N12.
nissancherryn12

rattle noise out of E15ET :(

Post by nissancherryn12 »

Hi All,

Hoping you can help me with your expertise.

My E15ET had a full revision (new bearings, new 0.25 pistons, new oilpump etc etc etc) about 3000km's back. During my holiday there was a ugly noise coming out of the engine. I thought it where bearings so i took a rental during the holiday and let the car get back on a truck to my dealership.

They thought it where the valve, way out of adjustment. Well, they were a bit out of adjustment but nothing excited.

After a while we found out the noise is coming from the backside of the engine, on the side where the oilpump is. I thought it could be the jackshaft. I'm sure the revison-compagny didn't changed the bushings from the jackshaft.

In the handbook i saw allmost no play is allowed on this jackshaft.

Short description of the noise:

The engine rattles (allmost like valves but then way much deeper/heavier) when on idle. Give it some throttle and the rattle get's a lot stronger. When the engine is hot the sound is a bit less hard but still very good noticable.

When the engine is stall on the RPM between 1500 all the way till 6000 the noise is gone. When giving it some gas between these RPM the rattle get's back.

It's really a loud noise...

Hope someone can help me out! Is this a jackshaft problem? And how can this be possible? 3000km's back the engine made some noise from the but it was then just a standard E-motor noise. Very little tikking noise on idle like all the E-engines does. Now it's really loud.

Thanks all!

Cheers,

Rens
Nissan Cherry N12 1.3 and 1.5
Nissan X-TRAIL 2.5 Columbia Style
Damo

Post by Damo »

Try pulling off one injector plug at a time to see if it is cylinder related.

Are you able to localize the sound with a screwdriver stethescope?

Damo
Do humanity a favor, use your brain and fight the forces of WOO WOO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1mrbxhWU5Y
nissancherryn12

Hi Damo,

Tnx for your reaction, i will try that first and will see of the sound changes. I have also experience with the screw-driver technologie so will try that one too!
nissancherryn12

OK, no different in sound or what so ever. Take one loose gave a bad running engine as result and happened on all four.

Did the screwdrivertest. The sound doesn't come from the head, it's more deep. Looks like the fan-belt side was the loudest. and the gearboxside was the most quiet side.
poeticjustice88

Post by poeticjustice88 »

drive belt pulley bearing maybe ?

check that when the car is running they are not jumping around as if they are loose.

grab your srewdriver and stick it on the bolt that runs through the pulleys and listen for the noise there

Michael