N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Chasing 1000hp, where to get parts for a head rebuild.

General chat related to anything N12.
Forcd4

Chasing 1000hp, where to get parts for a head rebuild.

Post by Forcd4 »

Many moons, many, drinks, many substances ago I had the engine rebuilt for the memory I have left the head remained pretty much stock, just match ported manifolds and a 2mm copper head gasket.... Not crackin the engine open untill the car is going as I'm not takin any more steps backwards in gettin this biatch movin.

I guess I'm just after peoples experiences with head rebuilds, what's broken when it has, what has worked with a big turbo disregarding drivability running hi boost.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Big issue with these heads is softening of the alloy over a long time resulting in repeatedly blowing HG's or in the case of a solid, pressurising and aeration the cooling system and annoying overheating.

Next is cracking between the spark plug holes and the exhaust valves. happens with plenty of high boost engines.

Another horror is turbo manifold studs pulling out of the head due to hanging the entire weight of turbo/dump and exhaust show straight off the manifold with no flex joints, zorst hanger brackets or the turbo stay being removed which is the case on almost all of them!!!!

Other than that, usually plain sailing.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

Fuck knows what is happening I do phantom msgs, I type them submit then final submit then dissapears into the abyss then I can't be fucked re typing. Fukin shit. Bet this one will work
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

Of course
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

is your browaser dropping your log in when writing longer posts and then sending the message off to 'no ones account'?

if it's going to be a longer post write it in a word/txt then copy paste.
C
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

I always just go quick reply, I'm constantly logged in cost from I pad sometimes i preview it though and sometimes it doesn't ask me to... Or it does and they are the times I lose em cos don't hit submit twice
Callumgw

Post by Callumgw »

maybe get in habit of doing a ctrl-c before submitting, then you can just ctrl-v to fix if it goes missing.

C
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Im using the very lates version of Mozilla and "Quick Reply" regularly does not work.

Try using the "Post Reply" button and see if that helps. Works for me.

L8r
Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

I busted it in action. Push submit, screen refreshes and is same same with submit in a different spot so I have been thinking its been posted.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

tassuperkart wrote:Big issue with these heads is softening of the alloy over a long time resulting in repeatedly blowing HG's or in the case of a solid, pressurising and aeration the cooling system and annoying overheating.

Next is cracking between the spark plug holes and the exhaust valves. happens with plenty of high boost engines.

Another horror is turbo manifold studs pulling out of the head due to hanging the entire weight of turbo/dump and exhaust show straight off the manifold with no flex joints, zorst hanger brackets or the turbo stay being removed which is the case on almost all of them!!!!

Other than that, usually plain sailing.

L8r

So any suggestions on what parts should be upgraded? I'm bracing the turbo to support its weight, copper gasket has held...... So far so good. The cracking between sparkles would shit me.
Oracle
" Friends may come and go but 200lbs is always 200lbs " - Henry Rolland -
Timmzy

Post by Timmzy »

Assemble the head with the heavier valve springs (search for details on that) - new set of of valve stem seals, and ensure your valves are seated properly, ensure the head and block are straight and even. Then assemble engine/head.

Then get it all tuned and running, take it down the strip and see how it goes.

Once you get to that stage, then you should look for spare head to start your flow developments.

I think you may find that head will become a less priority once you start running.

History says in the past that people that have drag raced these cars have ran REALLY quick times with standard heads. In doing this they have consumed gearboxes and CV's much more regularly than head issues - other than blowing gaskets from incorrect tunes. (refer above - get it tuned correctly)

If you get to the point of pushing the standard heads flow capacity, I will be suitable impressed because I think other issues may jump up at you first.

Regards,

Darren.
Race it.
Forcd4

Post by Forcd4 »

I've minced at least 6 boxes thus far but after the n13 gearset with 4.11's I haven't had a drama... Even at 180 odd killa twats, without slicks but that's when I see problems arising, or the fact I still gotta find some midget to run it, if I'm after serious numbers I've stripped weight off it if i drive it I may as well have left the interior in. Haven't blown one gasket with the copper one still holding.... I want a few good runs first, but I'm quietly looking forward to breaking shit... It's a guy thing i think.
" Friends may come and go but 200lbs is always 200lbs " - Henry Rolland -