N12Turbo.com lanyards are now available! Click here to visit the shop

Thinkin of stripping down an et wiring loom? dont bother

General chat related to anything N12.
Forcd4

Thinkin of stripping down an et wiring loom? dont bother

Post by Forcd4 »

i've got 2 complete wiring looms and i just finished stripping off nissans butcher job of black tape, having an idea i could salvage lengths of cable to retain the stock colours as i'm using 2 relay/fuse holder assemblies and relocating them into a weatherproof enclosure mounted just forward of the drivers side strut tower.

after an hour of fucking around slicing and dicing i'm left with 2 things that are definate. i have black tape scattered half way accross my backyard covered in 1985 melted adhesive, and theres no point even trying as no length lasts longer than a metre before theres a join rendering it useless for what i need.

i ended up cutting off every connector with the longest tails that could be reused for the headlights, indicators etc so if you were thinking of dicecting a loom just giving a heads up i believe its a waste of time.
Denied

Post by Denied »

Apologies for thread revival but...

So if you were scratchbuilding/repairing an existing loom, where would you go to get replacement wire to keep the standard OEM colours? As lame as it sounds I'd really like to build a loom for the s-cargo and for one of my motorbikes.

I see that places like Super Crap and Repco sell small rolls of coloured cables but they are pretty limited on colours.
tassuperkart
Administrator
Administrator

Post by tassuperkart »

Its always the issue with custom looms.
Hunting down the necessary colours is always going to be difficult.

You need to approach electrical parts suppliers, NOT resellers, the likes of jaycar and so-on, who can supply wires in various colours and traces.

You might not get the exact same colours but at least enough of them to make a new loom.

Be interesting to find out what lengths of wire theyd sell at a minimum tho.
Im kinda guessing you might have to buy rolls of the stuff....... That would really hurts when your chasing some 2 dozen colours or more.

Another strategy which American truck manufacturers employ is to use single colour wire and shrink on small numbered rings at each end of the cable to individually identify.
The wires become number coded rather than colour coded but means a single roll of wire and a bag full of numbered rings is the initial outlay.
Not really as difficult as it appears to get your head around but does require some lateral thinking in the early stages!!

Oracle
Forcd4 wrote:Oh fuk no dude it's you a again, the oracle.
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

all the colours of the rainbow

http://www.narva.com.au/products/browse/4mm
Denied

Post by Denied »

OooOo! That looks like a pretty fair cross section of colours. and while we are on the loom making subject... what about heatshrink breakout boots? I've tried going through RSComponents and Element14 but unless you know EXACTLY what you are looking for (and in this case they are somewhat obtuse in their descriptions) you are kind of stuffed

One of the guys mentioned they did automotive wiring so I'd be interested to know how they deal with the problem of splitting wires out, is lekky tape the normal solution?
shanec86
Administrator
Administrator

Post by shanec86 »

When i made my loom i just used nitto tape although you could go with something like this

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/7mm-T-PIECE- ... 500wt_1180
Kimmo

Post by Kimmo »

I'm giving away a loom, check the FS forum.